Hey,

I got N900 without usb-port because it became so loose and i couldnt fix it and i wont try to fix it anymore. The phone works fine though, just cant charge it without external charger.

I already got a new phone, but i'd like to use my N900 as a server computer for irssi so i need it to have it in charge all the time.

I found this from a thread where they talk about batteries and stuff
Do you have wires soldered directly the the N900 battery terminals?
If so, it wont work (sanely) without a 100 ohm resistor between GND (-) and BSI (the shortest of the 3 pins).
Could i open the wire of my nokia n900 charger (what goes to microusb port) and join the + and - wires straight to the battery terminals with battery on and put the resistor between GND and BSI? I haven't checked yet does it have the same output voltage than USB connection would (+5V).

If you do this, please post a video of it to youtube.

In other news...DO NOT DO IT.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Okay, then i've misunderstood something. Could i use those what are under the battery? You can see from this picture: http://talk.maemo.org/attachment.php...1&d=1299459650

jussir, vi_ mean that You can't do that with LiPo. Please, read a little about charging this type of batteries. If You try it, You battery may and WILL explode (sooner or later).
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ United States
You're probably better off just trying to attach the charger wires straight to the inside of the N900 at the point where the micro USB used to connect.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for the damage that may occur to your device if you attempt what I suggested.

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Ok so you want to apply 5V to the battery or to the N900 (without battery).

If you do it to the battery, the battery will puff up and vent, this will be with or without fire, anyway it will destroy the battery and with a high risk of taking the N900 with it.

Now if you want to apply power directly to the battery pins in the N900 without battery, this will not work either since pretty much all phones/devices that runs of Li-Po/ion will have protection that cuts of the device if voltage is higher then 4.3-4.5V.

So if you want it on power all the time you should get a DC-DC converter, like a chip, board etc (lots of choices on china sites or ebay) now you can hook it up to the battery like my dual setup, but keep the voltage at max 4.15V if you do this, this will have some effect on the battery but the battery will still last some time, else use a big 5V super capacitor.

You can also apply power without a battery, this will work just fine, the other just gives you a backup in case of power loss.

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Thanks for your reply dr_frost_dk!

What dc-dc converter you are using yourself? What keywords i should use in Google when trying to find the right one for this purpose?

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
im using the cheapo charger from DX, link to it in battery thread, but you have still now answered if you want you N900 with or without battery?

With battery it would be better for my purpose