Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
Nice finger-pointing rant btw, you are aware that I can lookup any claim of such kind and just tell that in the last 4 months you had 1 (one) post removed because it was in direct reply to an inflammatory post that has been removed too.
Well, that's exactly what I said, isn't it? I believe the classification as "finger-pointing rant" is uncalled for, especially because I wouldn't know who to point my fingers at: The person remains unknown, which is the whole point of this discussion.

So while from your point of view everything seems reasonable, from my side it still looks different. My contribution was removed, I didn't know why, I didn't know by whom. Bummer. Now I'm told my input was removed not because of what I wrote, but because of what somebody else had written in a different post above. It still doesn't make sense to me.

At least now I know it's finger-pointing and ranting. Nice.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Looked further back, and we can make that 7 months and one deleted post, if you did not recognize the removal of the post you referred to, how did you recognize that your post was removed? I actually do not know how or if you get notified about a deleted post and the reason, but the reason jalyst put in for deleting it was pretty straight fwd. And yes not knowing if and how you get notified makes me wonder what forum software this is we paid good money for... I never got a deletion notice but I do not remember ever getting moderated... (will have a look in the forum settings, and test some stuff later today)

Btw, that forum has only one moderator so it is pretty clear who, but well, super-mods and admins usually comment on the thread about the removal and ask for getting back on topic...

Last edited by chemist; 2015-06-08 at 14:39.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
From further looking at it I undeleted the posts in the Jolla Tablet thread... anyone a problem with that?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
@chemist,

I do not envy you your job. You try to keep the forum clean while also trying to pacify both the members and the moderators. I understand that you expect some respect in return and are cross when people step out of the line.

But please try to see it also from the other side. We mere mortals do not have the same level of information and access to logs that you do. All we can see is the action, but not the reason or even who did it so we could ask what the reason was. If that happens once, fine. If that happens repeatedly, I hope it is understandable that people start demanding a bit more transparency.

It is this lack of transparency that creates the "us and them" atmosphere. For example, you say that you spoke to the moderators behind the curtains. That may be so and I have no reason to doubt it, but you did not say so until I challenged you.

The same applies to the moderated posts. Moderating may be unavoidable but a little bit of transparency could go a long way. It could even move the forum from, "be constantly on guard, you never know which moderator will strike next and how" to "moderators are your friends".

As for inapropriate humour, you are right and I apologize. Sadly, resorting to silly jokes like that is sometimes all I feel I have left.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Indeed, but I do not have the power to give you more transparency (technically speaking) I can just ask for more transparent mod actions. Also I admit to wrong doing, that posts I recovered were recovered for the sake of the conversation only, you yourself have to admit that some threads are so obviously derailed into flamewars that I would only have the option to kill the whole thread but actually the conversation is on topic but heated, so deleting it at the point it came up was probably right, the later picture shows that it had no effect of whatever so without the action of giving infractions it was pointless, now 20 pages later even that is pointless... I always try to see both sides, in this case it isn't user-user so I am reflecting even more but in the end there is nothing I can do about it... it happened. Feels like talking circles by now.

Mods have been asked to act less intrusive and more transparent. What else should I do? That you get into personal disputes isn't actually a mod-user issue. That he then deleted that part from the thread is also good, he will alter the misunderstood post too. So it seems everything is accounted for now.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
I'm glad that attention was brought. I hope it will change at least some aspects. As well i have proposal. In some blogs except deletion there is also option to hide posts, and i mean not by single user, in general. Instead of post there would be link with something like "this post may be found offensive" or "light offtopic here" or even the reason the mod gives for that. And by default those "marked" by moderators posts will be hide and link(or button) would just show it, so forum will be clean, but some people might find it usefull read even those posts. It's just proposal and i do not expect it.

Btw how TMO is modified from original vBulletin and if there are any sources? Earlier you mentioned that it might take time to mods activity, so i think maybe if there would be source on some git hosting, users not only can give proposals but push commits with working solution or at least WIP and it might be decided to accept those or not.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
Btw, that forum has only one moderator so it is pretty clear who, but well, super-mods and admins usually comment on the thread about the removal and ask for getting back on topic...
Btw it's almost all we asked for...

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
I'm glad that attention was brought. I hope it will change at least some aspects. As well i have proposal. In some blogs except deletion there is also option to hide posts, and i mean not by single user, in general. Instead of post there would be link with something like "this post may be found offensive" or "light offtopic here" or even the reason the mod gives for that. And by default those "marked" by moderators posts will be hide and link(or button) would just show it, so forum will be clean, but some people might find it usefull read even those posts. It's just proposal and i do not expect it.

Btw how TMO is modified from original vBulletin and if there are any sources? Earlier you mentioned that it might take time to mods activity, so i think maybe if there would be source on some git hosting, users not only can give proposals but push commits with working solution or at least WIP and it might be decided to accept those or not.
I really like that idea, would be almost modlogs transparency, preserving conversation flow and allowing less-offendable to learn what someone had to say (maybe easy link would too much provoke others to quote/cite less offensive parts, but if it would be separate text-only loglike page should be good enough)
Also +1 on the source, but judging by chemist's comment (we paid good money for...) it would seem it is in fact closed (oh the irony)

That irony is crawling up my back you know, I'd love to have our forums just be a git you can shoot pull requests to, but nope vBulletin isn't like that... you can write plugins/addons though, the thank button is such an addon. Have a look here http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=234 for available addons, I crawled through some time ago looking for things we might like, but either unavailable or immature.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Hmm...just to inject a bit of curiosity and humour simultaneously ..
chemist?
when you say "immature" ..just how juvenile are we talking here?
Purely for the purposes and interest of a "pressure valve" to release pent up "ya-ya's" (so to speak)...
Would there be say...buttons that make "moo" sounds?
say...buttons to hilariously simulate in animation imploding or exploding offending posts or posters?
I'm soooo all for "immature" then

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following User Says Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:

Tags
moderators, talk.maemo.org