Active Topics

Notices

hi all. firstly, i love my n900. a few things, i installed openssh on my n900 but clicked next to where i was asked to enter a password and the dailogue box disappeared. i therefore have no password on my openssh even after uninstalling and reinstalling.

secondly, i used to use cyberduck to ssh into my iphone to install themes and icons. how do i go about doing this on the n900? the ihone had a default password "alpine". does the n900 have something similar?

i really want to install some new icons and fonts on this beauty!

Last edited by aMeeGo; 2010-02-19 at 22:51. Reason: solved

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
To use ssh on a Mac, you can simply use the ssh command in a terminal. It is installed by default. About the N900 part, I'm not sure this works (can't test it, as I'll get my device tomorrow), but try this: run "dpkg-reconfigure openssh" as root in a terminal on the N900. This should show you the configuration dialog again.

Last edited by gidoca; 2010-02-19 at 17:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to gidoca For This Useful Post:
I did this last night funnily enough using Cyberduck too, also trying Fugu as well, both work very well.

What I did was change the root password to begin with. You can do it by entering

sudo passwd root

into the terminal, and you get to change the password in the next step. Note you wont see anything when you type.

Then in Cyberduck, just enter the IP address for the N900, make sure its port 22, username is root, and the password is what you just entered. This should work!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m165 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by m165 View Post
I did this last night funnily enough using Cyberduck too, also trying Fugu as well, both work very well.

What I did was change the root password to begin with. You can do it by entering

sudo passwd root

into the terminal, and you get to change the password in the next step. Note you wont see anything when you type.
in terminal i get the response

Sorry, try again

I'm not familiar with the terminal at the moment, but someone posted that before and it worked for me. Maybe search on re-setting the root password may help?

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by aMeeGo View Post
in terminal i get the response "Sorry, try again"
Well, that's because sudo asks you to enter the current root password (I assume). If you just clicked next when you were asked to set a password, you might now have an empty password, so try to just press enter when asked for a password. Then you should be asked to enter a new password. But as I said, I haven't tried it myself as I don't have a device.

The Following User Says Thank You to gidoca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
For root password:

Code:
sudo gainroot
passwd
(actually, it might work inline as well)

For user password:

Code:
sudo gainroot
passwd user
In xterm on N900... After setting your password(s) everything should be fine and dandy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
For root password:

Code:
sudo gainroot
passwd
(actually, it might work inline as well)

For user password:

Code:
sudo gainroot
passwd user
In xterm on N900... After setting your password(s) everything should be fine and dandy.
That worked! Thanks

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ bournemouth
ive been trying this my self but always get following from cyberduck

Network Error: Connection failed
sftp://root@10.0.2.7
Connection refused.

i reset the root passwords, as listed about, i know the i.p address is correct, Im at a loss.

Any one got any ideas??

http://wiki.maemo.org/General_precautions

and FYI - dont be a n00b and copy and paste commands into the Terminal with out knowing what it doe's and what you'll need to do to correct any problems.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Try adding port number after that, e.g. sftp://root@19.0.2.7:22