Active Topics

Originally Posted by Ridd92 View Post
Quiting fb is not an option in this modern wicked world, but this is not about left or stay, this is about fixing the problem.

N900 will loose big part of it's charm being without FB Chat. This is perfect device for IM, but what does it mean without it?
Lets face it N900 is an EOL device without any company support. No company has any interest in it, so support needs to come from a small team of non-payed volunteers. They have their own priorities and workload so this may or may not be something they like to work on. I am still amazed what the N900 can do and I try to avoid using stuff that can break due to a company changing their proprietary code.

That's also why I am hoping for further development of a native Debian solution : DebiaN900
The best way to ensure long time support.

I hope your problem can be fixed easily though - good luck.

Community Council | Posts: 677 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
The charm of N900 as IM device disappeared many years ago. Sell the N900 to someone who needs it for its real charm

And yes, quitting Facebook is perfectly doable, and studies (biased?) indicate it may actually be your wisest move.

That said, the problem is not temporary. Facebook long ago said by April 2015, they would stop the xmpp service. We were on grace period all this time.

To develop alternative ... well

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Poland
https://github.com/jgeboski/purple-facebook/wiki

Will this work with new facebook API change/deprecation?
Can it be compiled to work with telepathy for n9?

Originally Posted by badpixel View Post
https://github.com/jgeboski/purple-facebook/wiki

Will this work with new facebook API change/deprecation?
Can it be compiled to work with telepathy for n9?
Will it work? Don't know.
Can it be compiled? Sure, to work with telepathy? Probably

But my guess is, interest is not present here.

Posts: 105 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Hungary
Originally Posted by sicelo View Post
The charm of N900 as IM device disappeared many years ago. Sell the N900 to someone who needs it for its real charm
Disappeared... how?
Every IM account that I'm using worked perfectly from release until now. Qwerty is the same, so ergonomy still cool too :P
Btw, I really get it, we are freedom fighters, Fb is sht, mega-gigacompanies ar sht, data mining are sht, still.
This device asks really two things. Solving interesting problems in it, and with it. +1 is to have fun with it
So, if some freedom figther who CAN fix this matter, decides that he will use his skills to fix this, I guess many users will thank him.

I'm still using this thing today as primary device for multiple tasks.. as internet radio, IM and mail device, pentesting fun, playing with FCam, playing music with FM transmitter, etc.. because no reason to switch device, if all my stuff is working with it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dy1ng For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 677 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
N900 already has pidgin .. so all needed is to build against it

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
I looked at this purple plugin the other day, but then a question came - how it is possible to work, if the only allowed chat (by FB) is Messenger. And it is web-based.

BTW I am one of those who use FB, though I am still undecided whether it makes sense to put effort in supporting FB moves to closed protocols and code.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Poland
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
I looked at this purple plugin the other day, but then a question came - how it is possible to work, if the only allowed chat (by FB) is Messenger. And it is web-based
So I checked this purple-facebook with pidgin yesterday and it works.
Facebook detects it as native facebook messenger client "Facebook Messenger for Android" (in notifications/suspicious login review), so I guess it uses native messenger protocol.

So maybe it will easy to get back facebook chat in n9/n900 soon :-)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to badpixel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by dy1ng View Post
Disappeared... how?
Every IM account that I'm using worked perfectly from release until now. Qwerty is the same, so ergonomy still cool too :P
Btw, I really get it, we are freedom fighters, Fb is sht, mega-gigacompanies ar sht, data mining are sht, still.
This device asks really two things. Solving interesting problems in it, and with it. +1 is to have fun with it
So, if some freedom figther who CAN fix this matter, decides that he will use his skills to fix this, I guess many users will thank him.

I'm still using this thing today as primary device for multiple tasks.. as internet radio, IM and mail device, pentesting fun, playing with FCam, playing music with FM transmitter, etc.. because no reason to switch device, if all my stuff is working with it.
ha ha i do more than that

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
I looked at this purple plugin the other day, but then a question came - how it is possible to work, if the only allowed chat (by FB) is Messenger. And it is web-based.

BTW I am one of those who use FB, though I am still undecided whether it makes sense to put effort in supporting FB moves to closed protocols and code.
quite a decision to make for a devloper
also would like to ask honestly as i see facebook regularly opensourcing stuff and like but i cant understand what they are as they are moving towards a walled garden approach and yet do good stuff for the greater good ?

Tags
facebook, maemo