Notices

Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Originally Posted by tenchman View Post
I'm using Version 1.1.4 as installed from Nokia Store. Last time i've used it to track a ~120km bike tour. Unfortunately, i have no files because my N9 died (power outage) before i've reached my destination.
it'smuch better than the first version, but happened to me often too, sadly.... i think, the easiest fixes for that problem could be manual pause and manual setting of record interval.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
it'smuch better than the first version, but happened to me often too, sadly.... i think, the easiest fixes for that problem could be manual pause and manual setting of record interval.
Indeed, some (unsorted) ideas:
  • different record intervals for different activities
  • movement detection :: no (or only little) movement -> disable GPS receiver or at least enlarge the measurement interval
    • automatically stop recording if speed is below a defined value.
    • use different minimum speed values for different activities
  • save the track data in intervals, so that at least the track data until power outage is available
  • ... to be continued

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tenchman For This Useful Post:
A few updates (for the next MeeRun versions)
- Positioning will no longer use WIFI (only GPS), which should save quite a lot of power
- Update frequency will be configurable
- It will be possible to manually disable GPS during pauses

Originally Posted by tenchman View Post
Indeed, some (unsorted) ideas:
  • different record intervals for different activities
    Next release
  • movement detection :: no (or only little) movement -> disable GPS receiver or at least enlarge the measurement interval
    Planned
    • automatically stop recording if speed is below a defined value.
      Planned
    • use different minimum speed values for different activities
      Planned
  • save the track data in intervals, so that at least the track data until power outage is available
    Planned (maybe next release)
  • ... to be continued
    Great

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bwalter For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bwalter View Post
There might be a problem with the version I sent you by mail. You can try downloading the version of the app store (1.1.2 is fine, too).
Is there any way to update to 1.1.4? I bought the app from http://store.ovi.com/content/357611 which is broken. When I go to the "correct one" in the store, it sometimes tell me there is a free update available and sometimes no update at all. However when I try to update it's in fact not free.

I did not upload the version 1.1.4 because it does not have anything more than 1.1.2 expect for the paranoid and annoying option to optionally disable GPS (required by Nokia QA...). Version 1.2.0 will be more useful

The only items which are supported are:
http://store.ovi.com/content/363791
http://store.ovi.com/content/366068

The problem is that you are using the old, broken item and it won't be maintained any more. Best thing to do would be to ask Nokia for a refound, otherwise I can also send you the release by e-mail.

Originally Posted by nosocks View Post
Is there any way to update to 1.1.4? I bought the app from http://store.ovi.com/content/357611 which is broken. When I go to the "correct one" in the store, it sometimes tell me there is a free update available and sometimes no update at all. However when I try to update it's in fact not free.

The Following User Says Thank You to bwalter For This Useful Post:
New info: for the happy owners of a BlackBerry 10 device, CascaRun is now available at the BlackBerry World!

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...tent/29342891/

It is indeed easy to implement but the GPS altitude is actually very unreliable (the accuracy is very bad compared to the horizontal information). Adding the altitude information is planned, though, but I will have to add some more filtering or ignore the information for distance calculation and use it only for diagrams and data files.
Well, I would be satisfied if the altitude information would be only used for the diagram and not for the distance calculation. The thing is, if you use MeeRun for hiking or mountain biking, you usually have a strong interest in knowing the altitude profile you have mastered. So please include that in one of the next releases. MeeRun is almost perfect for me, the only thing that is missing is the altitude information...

I think a good way to get very accurate altitude information would be to look it up on some geographical data servers on the internet using the longitudinal and lateral coordinates. This could be done after finishing the recording of the track in order to save battery life. However, the downside of this method would be that the vertical position is always fixed to the ground... I think it would make sense to implement an option so that the user can choose whether she our he wants accurate altitude information or unbound vertical position logging!

The Following User Says Thank You to meegofan For This Useful Post:
You are right, the GPS altitude is irrelevant for distance calculation but it still makes sense to use it for diagrams. I have a couple of ideas of how the real altitude can be calculated (geographical data servers like SRTM definitely make sense) and added to the activity settings.

Originally Posted by meegofan View Post
Well, I would be satisfied if the altitude information would be only used for the diagram and not for the distance calculation. The thing is, if you use MeeRun for hiking or mountain biking, you usually have a strong interest in knowing the altitude profile you have mastered. So please include that in one of the next releases. MeeRun is almost perfect for me, the only thing that is missing is the altitude information...

I think a good way to get very accurate altitude information would be to look it up on some geographical data servers on the internet using the longitudinal and lateral coordinates. This could be done after finishing the recording of the track in order to save battery life. However, the downside of this method would be that the vertical position is always fixed to the ground... I think it would make sense to implement an option so that the user can choose whether she our he wants accurate altitude information or unbound vertical position logging!

I have found a nice article about MeeRun:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/revie...ts_Tracker.php

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
You are right, the GPS altitude is irrelevant for distance calculation...
Well, mountain climbers going a kilometer up and down may disagree