Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by pronvit View Post
tso,
only 10mb for webkit library..
true that, but iirc there was a 20-30MB lib that wbkit depended on.

at last the exsisting one did, this new one i do not know...

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Nah, libwebkit is the only one needed.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by pronvit View Post
I still need to make some fixes but soon I'll post precompiled binaries and installation instructions for latest webkit and webkit-eal. This will make default maemo browser use webkit and get very-very big javascript performance boost and better support for new standards.
Great! Want to test this out...

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Moscow, Russia
Forgot, there is also icu library for unicode support, quite big too. but not sure maybe something else needs it to and it's already installed

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
libicu is for unicode support, it should be already installed.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
****, pronvit, you pwn.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Besides the obvious advantage of choice between rendering engines (performance, stability, bugs, compatibility, development) this allows also the user to pick either one while not having to relearn a new interface nor does she have to unlearn the old interface hence allowing the user to go back on forth because this part is the same. If you ever use an alternative keyboard layout and switch to another (forced or otherwise) you know what I'm talking about. E.g. laptop -> desktop, qwerty -> dvorak, or language layouts. Or say IE at work, with a real browser at home.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Or say IE at work, with a real browser at home.
LOL your're right.

I'm currently using Win at work and OSX at home, just switched, and still am trying to get used to CMD+C/CMD+V instead of CTRL+C/CTRL+V and so on...

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Hamburg, Germany
one reason why the masses out there get stuck with our lovely n800 is exactly by threads like this.
I can only imagine what the webkit does or will do, but i do not understand it.
Could anyone of you just simply write down what the webkit does and how to
get it?

thnx in advance guys.

pronvit: What revision of webkit are you compiling? Are you using libsoup or curl for the http backend? Pango or freetype? How have you managed to compile it? Last time Bundyo and I tried, it gived us some compiling errors. Tear is a great project I think. It lets us make some things that with maemo browser you couldn't, like have plugins. Also is written in Vala which is a great language. The stability problems you are having could be mainly because of webkit not being stable enough. As for icu library, there is a bug opened so that it will kill these dependency. Things are starting to look great on the webkit front, but it should need some stabilty before considering ready for every day use.

Tags
browser, webkit