Notices

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I got a good response from my previous thread, Installing Adblock Plus on Fremantle Browser, so I thought I'd post a how-to for getting one of my favorite Firefox add-ons to work in the Fremantle browser.

Twitter has become, at least for the people I follow, mostly a stream of links to other places. These links are always short, obfuscated blobs with a short, usually non-descriptive comment added.

Power Twitter adds thumbnails of pictures and videos, as well as expanded links, showing the title of the linked webpage / article. This makes Twitter so much more usable, as you can immediately see what people are linking to, and only click on those items, rather than having to click on every link just to see what they are.

The howto for this addon is very simple.
  • Install the greasemonkey-webaddon package. It is currently only available in the Fremantle Extras-devel repository.
  • UPDATE: Mark Guim, in his article at TheNokiaBlog, suggests that a reboot may be necessary here.
  • Go to the Power Twitter web page, download the Greasemonkey version.
  • Log in to Twitter on your N900. You should see a little floaty bar at the bottom right of the page that says "@powertwitter: settings | help", click on settings and enter your Twitter password in the password field.

Screenshot:

Last edited by qole; 2009-11-23 at 22:25.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
You're the man, qole. I'm definitely sharing this one with anyone that asks. Great post...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm hoping to get some feedback about this. Mark Guim posted on my Flickr page that he was having problems installing this, so I want to know if anyone else has had problems. It really went painlessly for me, but maybe I did something extra that I forgot to mention...

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
Great.. wonder if it will work with all the shortened urls.

So seriously, has nobody with an N900 tried this out to verify my instructions? Or does it just work?

Or, intriguingly, are people using other ways to see the "rich media" version of their Twitter stream on their N900?

Personally, the powertwitter plugin has been a real bonus for me!

I've been using it on the desktop. Can't wait to try it on the N900. Not even caring about Tweetdeck type app for N900 now. Do wish something would pop up that combines Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter in one interface, though. Like a Digsby without the IM.

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
[*]Install the greasemonkey-webaddon package. It looks like it should be generally available in the main repository.[*]Go to the Power Twitter web page, download the Greasemonkey version.
not following you here. what repository are you referring to? I installed greasemonkey from addons.mozilla.org. not sure if greasemonkey is working. which directory do the scripts need to go into?

Originally Posted by archebyte View Post
not following you here. what repository are you referring to? I installed greasemonkey from addons.mozilla.org. not sure if greasemonkey is working. which directory do the scripts need to go into?
Oh, bad news. It looks like the greasemonkey-webaddon package is only in the Extras-devel repository. That's going to be a problem; I don't know the browser team and don't know how to prod them into pushing this to Extras-testing...

Hmmm

Can't they be contacted from the garage, or is there no contact presence for devs on there?

Ha! Mark Guim figured it out and posted a blog entry at TheNokiaBlog about it! So go there for a video-enhanced howto!

An update for my Original Post: Mark says that he needed to reboot his N900 after installing Greasemonkey, so maybe that's the secret sauce. I'll add it anyway.

Tags
browser, fremantle, greasemonkey, powertwitter, twitter