Hi -

I am about to buy a nokia n800 as they are now really cheap since the n900 -

I mostly want it for emails - updating Facebook/MySpace and light web surfing -

I like to watch you tube as well from time to time and wonder how you tube works these days on flash 9 and if the recent you tube html5 option is a good thing for the older n8x0 tablets

does anyone watch you tube on their n8x0 - I know they sometimes have issues - I had one years ago and thought it was fine but really miss it now.

I have also seen android on them and just found out about MER though I guess both have no sound at the moment -

I would really love to here from someone - Thank you.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I tried HTML5 YouTube on my netbook with Google Chrome. Unusable. I suppose if my netbook can't handle it, the N800 won't either.
IMHO the best option for YouTube on the N800 is using a client like MyTube, MediaBox, Canola2, or digia@scene.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
pycage: I thought HTML5 was supposed to be easier on the processor than flash? Are you comparing it to GPU accelerated flash?

"YouTube HTML 5 video player is only compatible with three browsers: Chrome, Safari, and Internet Explorer with ChromeFrame. While other browsers may support HTML 5, only the two mentioned above support the H.264 video codec at this moment."

http://www.osnews.com/story/22787/Mo...t_License_h264

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I agree with pycage's suggestion. Personally, I use MyTube, and it shows YouTube vids just fine. I may come across a YouTube video link on a browser, but I invariably watch it by downloading it first with, and then playing it in, MyTube.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ California
Yes, MyTube works great on the N800.

Won't MyTube cease to work once Youtube goes live with HTML5?

Youtube and Vimeo are supporting h.264 html5 now for a variety of reasons (it really comes down to $$$) including that they have already converted most of their videos to this codec and use a Flash container to serve this h.264 video to "traditional" browsers. Mozilla is flat out refusing to support h.264 (they are afraid of people getting sued). The major content providers seem unwilling to support Ogg Theora.
In the end with Chrome being the major browser supporting this format and Google's push to get people to install Chrome OS, this ends in Google's favor and Firefox (and other Mozilla based browsers) users are going to get the shaft. And of course this will also be another win for Apple pushing their crap.

If you don't feel violated now, you will. Violated by all parties involved (no Mozilla is not without fault, they refuse to support using OS plugins like gstreamer).

So does someone want to be a hero? Bundyo?

Flash will be around for awhile longer despite how much I hate it (slow, not arch-independent, crashes, did I mention SLOW?, close-source, etc.)