Closed Thread
This phone(n900) is the worst piece of ******ed sh-t since the stone age. I mean, which kinda company makes a device which is so frickin' hard to update. I cant do OTA nor flash. I use win 7 32 bit and flasher just doesn't work!
I wish someone would buy it off me but i still will make a loss
Everyone considering buying the nokia n900, dont! Please read this and instead invest in an iphone/android phone from samsung etc instead. Nokia is run by a bunch of meth addicted idiots who do dope while coding this sh-t software for this sh-t phone(the flasher utility). Apple & google own nokia in this market anyday simply because they can make things user friendly. And please dont imply that user friendly stuff is for idiots. No. Its for making our lives easier, which was the purpose of this black-*** brick in the first place. I would burn the n900 and film it with a new phone from some other company if i got a free phone.

In before the reverse poo slinging / lock

To answer you though, I do understand your frustration to a certain degree. To someone who came to the phone after looking at e.g. Nokia's advertising campaign in Europe, I would expect a truckload less half-*** than the phone has.

But there is the other argument that the buyer should beware and do more research on what he is ultimately buying regardless of how it was advertised.

Fact is, the N900 is the latest in a long line of half-baked work-in-progress's. And it's still a half-baked work in progress, although you could say - accurately - that is pretty pathetic, and anyone defending the state of the N900 is a bit touched in the head or too steeped on OSS nerdery. However purposefully or not, it's aimed at a different kind of user. A bit of research would have uncovered this. I certainly entered N900 ownership with my eyes open, despite probably sharing a lot of your frustrations when trying to use it in an everyday situation.

Last edited by punto; 2010-07-14 at 17:10.

The first post is based completely on opinion and should not be taken as fact.

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norwich, UK
I don't see whats so hard about updating it.
Open application manager, press update, select the Maemo5 update. If it fails, its because you installed incompatible devel software written by community members and is entirely unrelated to Nokia.

If for some reason the above is too complicated for you to understand though, Windows 7 x86 flasher is about the easiest thing in the universe to use. It's one command line, it's not hard. And before you ***** about "its non user friendly, why am I having to enter commands" and various other QQ, consider that the whole point of the Flasher is for power users/developers - If you're clueless (hint: you are) you should be using the pretty colourful updater provided by NSU or Ovi suite.

Welcome to Maemo.org - thanks for stopping by!

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Northeast USA
Many of us would completely agree with you, only in different wording.

You are absolutely right, this is not the phone for an average consumer. If you wanted easy to use, you should have gotten an iPhone.

The n900 is unique in that you can do things like overclocking it on the fly, or attaching it to a rolodex, but it still crashes, it still doesn't have good OVI support, and it still doesn't have a lot of things that most modern smartphones have.

Who is the n900 for? The n900 is for people who see that something is a little sluggish, so their first reaction isn't rebooting, it's opening up a terminal and seeing what processes are taking up the memory, or what's eating their rootfs, or finding what's peaking the CPU. The n900 is for people who find some form of joy in setting up a webserver on their phone. The n900 is for people who run more beta software than final releases, and the n900 is for people who love freedom.

The flasher works fine on an XP computer. Try running in compatibility mode, or borrow a friend's computer. If that's too difficult for you, the apple store is -> that way. Thank you and have a nice day.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 179 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Gold Coast, Australia
diagf ******

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Hi, I made a poem. You'll love it!

ankit255 is an N900 user,
Know it or not, he is a total loser.
He can't even figure out how to flash,
Expects that a smartphone will never crash.

So go buy an Android or an iPhone,
And next times research before you moan.
Because the N900 needs a bit of intelligence,
Which in your case..not a chance.

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norwich, UK
aw, let down by the last word!

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
nEED MOAR POAMS!!
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Closed Thread