Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 1,082 | Thanked: 1,235 times | Joined on Apr 2010
#1
I am honestly curious, why was an Intel Atom processor choosen in favor of an ARM one in the Jolla tablet? X86 processors are generally more energy hungry than comparable arm based ones and the jolla tablet has a pretty small battery. Support for the Intel atom on the linux platform is abysmal to say the least. Plus there is the issue of software compatibility, all the native applications on sailfish os are compiled for arm so you won't be able to use any of the native apps from sailfish os. I guess you could run apps designed for desktop linux, but sailfish os lacks several components from desktop linux necessary for running said applications.
Were Intel Atom chips cheaper? Was there more available reference designs and were reference designs more customizable? Did Intel provide technical or marketing assistance of some sort?
To me it seems the tegra k1 would be a better choice given that it is arm based and has open source drivers with excellent linux support. Plus many tablets already use it.
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Stskeeps's Avatar
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,477 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
#2
One particular reason is finding a good proposition that has a high-level display at that pricepoint, enough oomph to drive the display, a hefty GPU.. I think the Intel direction is quite nice.
 

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 619 times | Joined on Oct 2012
#3
AFAIK, there is a possibility of running ARM binaries on Intel cpus using the Intel emulator. Which is what used in x86 Android devices to run ARM only binaries.

I don't know if Sailfish can (legally) also use the emulator. If possible, you'd be able to install ARM Sailfish packages (although with less performance).
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hedayat For This Useful Post:
Morpog's Avatar
Posts: 956 | Thanked: 2,628 times | Joined on Nov 2011
#4
Because of: Intel Turnkey Program

The program helps with reference designs, development tools and lots of marketing $$$. http://www.computerbase.de/2014-06/t...r-smartphones/

 

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,076 | Thanked: 3,262 times | Joined on Feb 2011
#5
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
Because of: Intel Turnkey Program

The program helps with reference designs, development tools and lots of marketing $$$.
Read it as Intel Turkey Program, which made sense, giving thanks for giving intel a chance in mobile
 

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,076 | Thanked: 3,262 times | Joined on Feb 2011
#6
Originally Posted by hedayat View Post
AFAIK, there is a possibility of running ARM binaries on Intel cpus using the Intel emulator. Which is what used in x86 Android devices to run ARM only binaries.

I don't know if Sailfish can (legally) also use the emulator. If possible, you'd be able to install ARM Sailfish packages (although with less performance).
Qemu can be used legally, though all libraries would have to come in two flavours too, might be not worth the extra load. Jolla has the advantage of being rather new, so not so many stale packages out there yet, wish we had extras devel that would automatically result in both types being available removing that problem altogether (at least for open packages)
 

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
#7
Afaik, there won't be a compatibility problem. You just select a different target and compile for Atom and as long as your code is nicely portable, you'll be able to publish for both ARM and Atom with the same code. There are suddenly quite a few Atom Android tablets around too, so they should be well supported.
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,076 | Thanked: 3,262 times | Joined on Feb 2011
#8
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
Afaik, there won't be a compatibility problem. You just select a different target and compile for Atom and as long as your code is nicely portable, you'll be able to publish for both ARM and Atom with the same code. There are suddenly quite a few Atom Android tablets around too, so they should be well supported.
Yeah, pretty much every app in store will compile, unless author didn't bother checking if his work works in SDK emulator (it uses i486 target iirc, so x86 that should run on atom), only problem is guys who submitted only arm binary and left the scene
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 641 | Thanked: 1,505 times | Joined on Aug 2010
#9
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Read it as Intel Turkey Program, which made sense, giving thanks for giving intel a chance in mobile
They cannot even make proper linux drivers for the Bay Trail stuff,
so they have a bit of a credibility issue when they
shill this sort of thing
__________________
Three n900s: One for stable working platform,
One for development testing Chopping Onions
One for saltwater immersion power testing resurrected ! parts scavenging

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,082 | Thanked: 1,235 times | Joined on Apr 2010
#10
Since the Jolla tablet is Atom based will this mean the ability to run Sailfish os on Intel Atom tablet like the myriad of 8 inch Windows 8 tablets?
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 23:35.