Closed Thread
Originally Posted by nonikhanna View Post
Hmmm I wonder if the android app compatibility that sailfish has, could that part be brought to meego harmattan?
It seems that part is to do with Dalvik, so for legal reasons no it couldnt. Its not a free thing so Nokia would have to pay for Dalvik to run on the N9.

Saying that, if Jolla are partners with Dalvik AND the N9 gets a semi-official sailfish OS port from Jolla, then we could have the android app compatability

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ India, Canada
@godofwar424 Jolla is partners with Myriad. so that part is done. But I don't see them releasing a semi-official sailfish for the N9.
And for this community to bring dalvik to Meego Harmattan.... It would be stealing right?

also side question, anyone know would be the general hardware requirements of sailfish? if it was ported to the N9, would it be able to be run smoothly?

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
As much as agree with you mike, it does look like they are already testing on a variety of devices from their announcement.

Just check out the devices that they are holding at 3.30-4.00
no matter what devices jolla is using for their initial internal os testing you will never see them giving those versions of their OS to public

Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
no matter what devices jolla is using for their initial internal os testing you will never see them giving those versions of their OS to public
This I fully understand, however it does raise a couple of questions...

Why do jolla have a team dedicated to porting sailfish to so many devices?

and...

If they are just for testing, why are they testing devices such hp touchpad and the Raspberry Pi?

Granyed I know that scalability can be a big selling point for any OS, so who are they selling to and what are their interests?

an one know about n9 sailfish OS??

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
This I fully understand, however it does raise a couple of questions...

Why do jolla have a team dedicated to porting sailfish to so many devices?

and...

If they are just for testing, why are they testing devices such hp touchpad and the Raspberry Pi?

Granyed I know that scalability can be a big selling point for any OS, so who are they selling to and what are their interests?
because they want to test and show the os on as many platforms as possible, and actual devices are much cheaper and better than development boards

Also don't forget that showing the UI of some OS on some arbitrary device is an entirely different thing from supporting all the hardware (e.g. telephony) of that device. There's binary-only drivers involved which (in most cases) are diffcult if not impossible to work around.

So don't hold your hopes up too high for fully supported 3rd party devices (officially nor inofficially).

The Following User Says Thank You to foobar For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Install Nemo first and then when the sailfish UI sources are available just build that on top of Nemo. That should do it

please mod close thi thread

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to soryuuha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Could possible merge all jolla threads to the big thread in off topic?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
harmattantrolls, n9isforkids, nosailfishforu, yessailfishforu