Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 332 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
  • device orientation
  • gps status
  • two magic OTG USB adapters
  • crossed fingers

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dormant For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
The best would be to ask to be given an option to disable the automatic updates and the ability to run them on request. Does this qualify for an enhancement request (if it doesn't already exist)?
If the update is an executable or DBUS call it should be doable. I already have custom categories (apart from those dug up from the Maemo launcher), so in that case this could fit nicely (disable updates, and then make it run via shepherd).

Originally Posted by lma View Post
Other possible vectors: CPU load, RAM/SWAP
usage, network load. Maybe contextkit integration down the line.
Right ! I can already see that vectors will have to be modular/extensible as this has growing potential And since we're on an input frenzy... with a N900 we could also do:

- Light sensor
- Kickstand
- Proxymity sensor

Not sure about the use cases for these, but... that's up to you !

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
So you could use this to send your IP address to a central server every time you connected to a new WiFi? (Still) thinking of a thief-catching utility...
Absolutely ! (That's a new connectivity flag BTW.. new connection, nice, nice)

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by qole View Post
So you could use this to send your IP address to a central server every time you connected to a new WiFi? (Still) thinking of a thief-catching utility...
Could also sent the last known GPS location. Adds also value which later can be used differently. e.g plot in a map your day out.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
How about a "Dock mode" when the TV out is pluged and external keyboard and mouse are detected? It could start Easy Debian to turn it into a real workstation.

The Following User Says Thank You to ColdFusion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
hmm, i guess one option would be to set the refresh time for the updater to a silly high number, and basically use shepered to run apt-get update at intervals, if wifi is available, but not when phone is.

I would like it if it could put the device in silent mode, and disable all audible alerts, when I am in school.

I guess this could be triggered by time (when I am officially in school), and/or location (when GPS detects I am in vicinity of the school, during school hours).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iKneaDough For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Sounds like an awesome project!

But the requests list seems to have grown unnecessarily long already.. I think the features list has to be cut really short to cater to the biggest audience first so the development can go swiftly and focused on the core functions intended..

Then implement the rest as plugins\future developments.

Oh, a more descriptive name would help too

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Sounds like an awesome project!
But the requests list seems to have grown unnecessarily long already.. I think the features list has to be cut really short to cater to the biggest audience first so the development can go swiftly and focused on the core functions intended..
Then implement the rest as plugins\future developments.
They're all going to be plugins, anyway, so the least I can do is put placeholders there so people can see the ideas, and join in on implementing them. Most of the ideas outlined here were not THAT difficult to implement (CPU/RAM the easiest and location being probably the most complex). In any case, having some ideas how things might develop in the future makes it easier to avoid inadvertently placing nasty dev roadblocks for future development.

Oh, a more descriptive name would help too
It's an established fact that I'm bad at naming projects It started off as something that you know, herds applications out when the weather is nice and there is grass, takes care they don't run away, and such... hence the shepherd association. Thought it would be lame calling it YASA (yet another scheduling app), Puli would probably also mean nothing to most of of the world... But I'm open to suggestions, at least until the stuff enters extras.

PS. For people too lazy to click on the above link:

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
It's an established fact that I'm bad at naming projects It started off as something that you know, herds applications out when the weather is nice and there is grass, takes care they don't run away, and such... hence the shepherd association. Thought it would be lame calling it YASA (yet another scheduling app), Puli would probably also mean nothing to most of of the world...
"Canola" didn't mean anything to the world either, but that didn't stop it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:

Tags
cron, power save, scheduling, shepherd