Posts: 428 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Philippines
Originally Posted by masq View Post
Hi,

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. I have no access to my phone or the menus or anything? When I boot up the phone it asks for the lock code which I don't know and I'm pretty much stuck there. I'm not running an ssh server so I guess my only option is to flash right?

From here:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_t..._does_it_do.3F

I looks like flashing rootfs will preserve my data such as photos and conboy notes (the main stuff i really need). Is this correct? And will flashing to rootfs be enough to get my access to my phone again. I don't care if it doesn't reset the password for now...I'll sort that out later.
It's possible, but still as a general rule you really need to back up your important files, because flashing the N900 (in a simplified analogy) is like re-formatting a computer hard drive (i.e. wiping out all the contents) and re-installing the "Operating System".

By the way, flashing is a good way of fixing, but the reason why I'm going the route of recovering the lock code is to see if we can still do away with having to flash your N900.

Last edited by topet2k12001; 2011-07-09 at 15:05.

Hi topet2k12001,

Thanks for the info but is there a way to get in without flashing? As I said I have no access to anything since the code locks me out. I tried but can't seem to remember the code.

I'm thinking of trying just flashing the rootfs. Do you think this will resolve the problem while keeping my data or do you have a better recommendation?

thanks!

Sorry i think i was being confusing. I want to reflash my device not just the rootfs but the whole FIASCO but not the emmc. I've downloaded flasher 3.5 and plan to use the command:

sudo /usr/bin/flasher-3.5 -F RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R

My understanding is that this preserves my data and will let me get into the system. Is this correct? If not please let me know as I plan to do this asap!

The Following User Says Thank You to masq For This Useful Post:
Ok, so for the sake of people who have a similar problem this worked!

I was able to flash my phone with the latest PR1.3 firmware using a USB connection and it rebooted, let me in without a lock code and still has all my data. My applications were lost but i guess there's even a way to recover them from an old backup right?

I downloaded the firmware image:

RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin

from the website (you need a serial num found on the back of your phone under the battery):

http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N900.php

and i downloaded flasher-3.5 from:

http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-d...-downloads.php

and used the command:

sudo /usr/bin/flasher-3.5 -F RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R

I'm on a mac. The instructions for windows will be different. You can find more details here:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...usage_examples
http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_t..._does_it_do.3F

Let me emphasize that this did get me in to my locked phone without deleting my data (at least as far as i can tell). From what I've been told it did not reset the password but i can deal with that later.

Incidentally I did lose some apps I'd installed. I think it might be possible to flash only the bootloader and avoid flashing your rootfs and that might avoid any app issues. In my case I was running a non-standard kernel (poweruser kernel) so I think I had to do everything -- loader, kernel and rootfs.

Any quick ideas how to restore applications? i do have an oldish backup which should have most of them listed.

Actually looks like a lost a few more things. Will list them here (and try to update):

- Email configuration (not a big deal I use imap so can reset up).
- Applications.

Note quite sure why flashing to pr1.3 would fry my email but I can live with it. Anyone have any tips to restore stuff I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by masq; 2011-07-09 at 16:12.

Originally Posted by masq View Post
Ok, so for the sake of people who have a similar problem this worked!

[...]
the steps you list to re-flash the N900 without losing your data are the correct ones, indeed
(... -F ... -f -R )

you can indeed recover apps included in a backup simply by restoring it
(start BACKUP, click on the backup (directory name, in fact) and click on RESTORE.

UNCHECK EVERYTHING except applications, as you will otherwise reset you conversations, settings & all to the state prior of the backup, which is definitely NOT what we want.
maybe a good idea to make a FRESH backup of the DATAs (settings, convos aso.) prior to restore, just in case...

after the restore completes it will restart the N900 & a pop-up will appear, offering to restore the applications as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post: