Active Topics

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
I received an ilmatar device only a few days before meego was killed. It was up and running at that time already. Just in case somebody is interested in some meego trivia. We were just about to port the new "Swipe UI" to it with the desktop team. It was at that day running the opensource version of desktop and compositor

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to konttori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Yes and IIRC this was exactly what Elop was referring to when he said about the Emperor has no clothes...

Till-date Intel's CPU is still struggling so the hard truth is he was right about pure MeeGo but hid the truth that MeeGo-Harmattan could still be adapted and released in various devices...

Well its water under the bridge now...
On the other hand, Meego has been confirmed to be easy to adapt to different hardware, so switching to intel proc could have been done anytime, and especially later, without changing anything for nokia. Saying that keeping the currently used ARM CPU would have been an issue doesn't make much sense.

Originally Posted by konttori View Post
I received an ilmatar device only a few days before meego was killed. It was up and running at that time already. Just in case somebody is interested in some meego trivia. We were just about to port the new "Swipe UI" to it with the desktop team. It was at that day running the opensource version of desktop and compositor
Sad when you think what could have been. Reminds me of the AAA chipset that Commodore was working on, and would have been released if the CEOs and other management hadn't decided that going on vacations in the Bahamas was more worthwhile than to put that money into R&D. Instead customers were given a short jaunt into AGA chips, which were no where near the scope that they could / should have been. Then of course shortly afterward the Amiga had lost it's edge that it had when it was first announced.

MeeGo reminds me a lot about those times. But at least on the brighter side of things, unlike the AmigaOS which is still in a weird limbo, MeeGo was open source and can be continued by others (Jolla).

So while on the subject of Ilmater, will Jolla continue the cool code names for projects? Guess time will tell.

From what I understand of the Intel CPUs for mobile devices, we're really looking at issues with battery life / performance vs the ARMs. But I read recently that they were going to release the 'Haskell' platform, that was meant specifically for tablets/smart phones.

Unfortunately, this really reminds me of Microsoft, and their attitude of 'Me too, me too!' Intel wanting to move more into the mobile space...

I kind of hope for another competitor, like PPCs. Maybe I'm just weird that way and like to see other hardware makers make it big so we can have more innovation.

slaapliedje
I have figured out the reason 'smartphones' were invented. They are for reading the internet while pooping. This means the best smartphone ever created is the N9. It is the only one that works so well single-handed.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
yet another thread where some still hopes engineers works with meego inside micronokia, will you never learn?

dooh

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
yet another thread where some still hopes engineers works with meego inside micronokia, will you never learn?

dooh
Nope, more of a "Did Elop miss someone?" type of thread. You know, there still may be a spy in the enemy camps!

Seriously though, I just stumbled upon it and really thought 'I thought they were all culled already.' Just thought I'd ask.

I know that even if they did still work there, I'm sure they've been moved onto something else, or are soon to be axed. Nokia went full on ****** when they hired Elop and I don't think they had a damn clue that their stock would crash so hard, but Elop kept saying "Don't worry, our new overlords will take care of us!" but then Microsoft said "Sorry ol' chaps, but WP7 won't have any way for us to upgrade to WP8. Don't worry about that though, 'cause I'm sure all the *****s... er uhm... customers will upgrade their 6 month old phones with WP8 ones... double your monies!!!!"

slaapliedje
I have figured out the reason 'smartphones' were invented. They are for reading the internet while pooping. This means the best smartphone ever created is the N9. It is the only one that works so well single-handed.

Guys, here is another prove that there is no plan “b”
http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...android-phones