I'll be getting a refund around $350 for my broken 770 from Nokia, WSOD, probably in the next month. w/ the CES just over, the question is, should I spend that money on N800 or wait for something else. To tell the truth, FIC Neo 1973 look quite promising, but lack the connectivity, w/o BT & Wifi, it's nearly useless. Although it has some limitation kinda like 770, both have strength and weakness. And that's why I'm more favorable to N800. Another product that I have in mind would be Sharp Zaurus SL-C1000, sorry I can't afford 3200, the problem gonna be that it has no Wifi, but can be has w/a CF adaptor(stick out, yuck). Conics.net sell one for $375. The built in keyboard, make it perfect for PDA replacement and internet usage. spec wise, very comparable w/ N800. The problem that I can see right now on the Zaurus is that the OS isn't English friendly, but fully loaded. and there is no US warranty. Tell me what I should do. Or is there another option. The warranty is a big issue and that's what made me decided on the 770 rather than Zaurus also. On the other hand, if I get the N800, I'll have to shell out another $100 for a better case and a BT foldable keyboard.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Seems pretty clear to me - get the N800.

All the other devices you listed are either not available, lacking major features (WiFi or BT) or designed for the Japanese market (and I'm guessing you're not a Japanese speaker/reader). The SL-C1000 has only a 640x480 screen so would be a significant downgrade from the 770/N800 and would seriously compromise internet usage.

You don't have to shell out for the case and keyboard, that's your choice. Certainly the keyboard is of questionable use unless you are a prodigious IM/Email user - my BT keyboard that I thought I would use a lot is very rarely used. A case on the other hand would probably be a very worthwhile investment.

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Nottingham UK
Seconded. Just spent the afternoon playing with my new N800.

I didn't expect to be excited by it, just pleased, but it is wonderful. Amazing how much better the whole things feels with a little more RAM and a better processor.

I've had the N800 for nearly two weeks and will be returning it for a refund (reasons posted on different thread).
Am seriously looking at the Zaurus too. Seems almost perfect apart from the WiFi/Bluetooth, which can be solved with a CF card. Conics have them, apparently with 12 month warranty. SL-C1000 $370, 3200 $510(with 6GB drive). I am really close to ordering one...
http://conics.net/catalog/product_in...ae46da0c71ae29

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by csoldfield View Post
I've had the N800 for nearly two weeks and will be returning it for a refund (reasons posted on different thread).
Am seriously looking at the Zaurus too. Seems almost perfect apart from the WiFi/Bluetooth, which can be solved with a CF card. Conics have them, apparently with 12 month warranty. SL-C1000 $370, 3200 $510(with 6GB drive). I am really close to ordering one...
http://conics.net/catalog/product_in...ae46da0c71ae29
You do know that Sharp just axed the Zaurus line, don't you?

Which means I should be quick to get one before they are all gone, right?
Seriously, should this bother me considering this is Linux? What else is there out there that has a comparable feature set such as the Zaurus SL-C3200. Unfortunately the N800 doesn't do it for me...(I tried though!)

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
Zaurus SL-C3200 is dated hardware/software, Nokia N800 is fresh new hardware/software. It may take some time for the N800 to have a more polished OS, but the SL-C3200 is being measured up for burial. I don't see the logic in choosing the Zaurus over the N800.

Of course my logic has been pretty fuzzy at times.

Edit: It would be great however, if the Maemo team decided to adopt the hardware by cooking up a version of maemo for the Zaurus line. I don't think it will happen though.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Last edited by =DC=; 2007-01-25 at 19:31.

Smaller, lower resolution screen - you'll hate it. Nokia will resolve the reboot issues - they (obviously) rushed the initial N800 firmware and they're (according to Ari Jaaksi) "focusing on quality" now, I'd give them one more chance with the next firmware update. Take a refund, and think on it for another month before plumping for the Zaurus (which as Karel points out, is end-of-line'd).

I don't see much improvement, if any, in the N800 hardware over the C1000. ROM/RAM is comparable (C3200 has a 6GB HDD ). Resolution (in terms of DPI) of both is roughly the same, although the N800 is slightly wider (5:3 v. 4:3 aspect ratio). Do those extra 160 pixels wide make much difference? No difference for 640x480 videos, right? N800 lacks keyboard, jog wheel, clamshell protection, USB Host, Charge via USB, CF card slot, IrDA.
So my $400 is on the SL-C1000 currently (or $500 for the 3200 w/ 6GB HDD).
Considering this is Linux, how can software be 'dated' ?

DPI is irrelevant, the N800 is 800x480 the C1000 is 640x480 - it's all about how many pixels you can see and here the Sharp falls short. I've used 640x480 screens to surf, they're horrible because most web sites have to be reformatted whereas they do not at 800x480. You bet thos extra 160 pixels make a difference!

The 6GB HDD will most certainly be handy, but will also suck down your battery faster than any 2x4GB SD or even 2x8GB SDHC cards will.

CPU - there's probably not a lot in it, but the Intel chip (ARM9?) is probably less powerful than the ARM11 in the N800, even if it is clocked faster. That said, much of the hardware in the N800 CPU is currently ignored by Nokia.

The other points I'll concede - they'd be nice to have on an N800, but I can live with them (although I'll need to get myself a case...). You can charge by USB - use the Nokia USB charger (announced recently - check the ITT News page)

Still, with the Zaurus line being terminated I'd question how long Sharp will continue providing OS updates. Not sure I'd purchase a device *after* it has been EOL'd, unless you could find it heavily marked down in a sale.