Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by phortize View Post
we are talking about a 4 bucks app, but what about the most expected sygic maps? i would probably pay for them if they are any good. but i dont think they will be drm-free, anyway. what do you think. i think this is actually a big problem, possibly preventing many from realising, i mean selling, new good apps.
Supposedly they'll be selling through Ovi Store. We're all waiting with bated breath to find out how they'll be protecting that. . . .

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2010-01-28 at 05:45. Reason: I blame muscle memory :rolleyes:

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
lol! This is so much fun.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to konttori For This Useful Post:
im afraid their breath is baited a little more than ours. i wonder if someone has the solution yet. i guess not. and sadly i can't imagine a solution without drm. or maybe, for the little apps, they could use the radiohead way, you know, "it's up to you". but i dont think humanity is really ready for that...

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Its this kind of thing thats going to kill paid apps etc on the N900. If you can afford a $500+ phone, then pay 4 bucks etc for an app and support future content. If you arent willing to do that, then may I politely suggest you do something unpleasant to yourself.
I never said I'd pirate it personally, now did I? So please stop suggesting things to me without properly reading my post
I probably wouldn't download it even it was free anyway
I admit I do pirate stuff, but that's usually to try out stuff before I maybe buy them....%80 of the apps I pirate I usually delete in a few days because they're not very useful. I ended up buying CorePlayer and Best Taskman on the N95 while I had to format the phone a few times because I had too much crap on it

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Erlangen
spreading debs? No problem - just use some kind of encrypted online activation. Thats how many commercial tools on desktop linux work, you download the package for free and pay for some kind of activation.
Have some kind of demo mode so people can test the tool and if one likes it, full functionality is unlocked if you pay money. I don't think that full blown DRM has to be used for that, I mean - palm apps worked like this for years.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
For those who care: The expression is said to be "bated breath," despite the misspellings above.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by adancau View Post
lol. this is priceless. i especially love it that you transfer it to the root folder and then you run dpkg -i from MyDocs.. oh yeah.. not to mention that you need rootsh installed
It's not priceless, it will set you off 4 bucks

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
For those who care: The expression is said to be "bated breath," despite the misspellings above.
Always a bundle of positive energy, aint you?

I think this is the problem why there are no paid apps at the moment. its impossible to protect them... this is maybe why the n900 ovi store will die out soon

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
The n900 Ovi Store needs to be born first in order to be able to die In other news - it's impossible to protect any application on any platform (type in 'rampant piracy iphone' in google and you'll get tens of thousands of hits - and that's supposed to a super-protected/walled garden). It's just the question of effort (both in terms of effort needed to implement a DRM and to break it).