Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Got any questions about what and why in the development of the Internet Tablet?

Next Tuesday, Feb. 12, looks like a good chance to get them answered.

Thoughtfix (aka Daniel Gentleman) will be talking with Quim Gil, Nokia's point man in communicating with developers, bloggers and users. (Here's a link to Thoughtfix's Live Show page at ustream.tv.)

Well, you can already see my bias — I've identified Quim's communication role, but Thoughtfix thoughtfully notes his professional position: development platform product manager for Maemo, which inclines one to conclude that as the Maemo product manager he has signficant say in the development of the tablet platform.

And it's in that guise that Quim — his name is pronounced Kim Jill, btw — will be appearing and taking questions. As Thoughtfix notes in his blog,
[S]upport questions [should] be pertinent to his role as the guy in charge of the development platform. [Gil] knows maemo inside and out and we should focus our interaction on that — so questions like "Why can't we charge over USB?" don't belong here.
I know firsthand that Quim's tolerance for IT users' quarrelsome behavior rivals that of any grandparent with a three-year-old, so I don't expect to be scolded if I stray from the assigned parameters. (Well, maybe by Thoughtfix.)

The show will start at 11 p.m. for me on the East Coast, 9 p.m. for Thoughtfix in Arizona and 6 a.m. for Quim in Helsinki (which, come to think of it, may strain his ability to tolerate the benighted), Feb. 12.

-----
Thanks to Thoughtfix for having this talk and for sending us a note about it!
Read the full article.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
This is a great opportunity for you guys.

I will add a key bit of info: Quim is a very blunt straight shooter, and his time is too valuable to waste on trivialities. Know that going in. That was good for me when I had lunch with him last year-- I prefer a direct approach. But anyone looking for a slick PR rep will be disappointed.

You won't find anyone more committed to the tablets' success though.

Last edited by Texrat; 2008-02-06 at 15:26.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
I wonder if he will be more blunt at 6 a.m. than at lunchtime? . . .

Actually, though, what you say about Quim being a straight-shooter is the most important facet for a Q&A. It's clear from all his work that he has the interests of us tablet users at heart.

Roger

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
I am getting a LOT of requests to record this one. I will try! I have iShowU on my Mac and may be able to set aside a window to just record the show the whole time, then chop it into bits when complete.

UStream.tv will record the show automatically right Dan?

The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Its pretty much impossible for me to make this session, as I would suspect that it would be for others. Is there some aggreated area where we could post questions that could be asked by ThoughtFix/addressed by Quim as part of the before-live-questions session?

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Sure! Post them here and we'll either ask them ourselves or see if other users think they're a good idea and ask them themselves.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by thoughtfix View Post
Sure! Post them here and we'll either ask them ourselves or see if other users think they're a good idea and ask them themselves.

Okey doke. Here goes...

With USB OTG now supported, what peripherals do you see in the near future that would enhance the Internet Tablet experience?

Is Nokia developing any?

How about a WiMAX USB OTG transceiver for the N800/10?

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
What questions are YOU considering Dan ?
We could all work on that set.

Unfortunately 5am (Rome time) is too early for me, I hope you could save it and post in on youtube later for us.

Here's one: The Garnet VM seems to be working well for some users as a PIM. But many find that it needs better integration to be more useful. Are there any plans to do things like help it sync better and integrate it's file systems with the Tablet's systems?

Neil