Active Topics

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
I have been playing with the backups. It takes an hour to backup flash to a tgz (compressed tarball) -- 70MB 100%CPU

It took 3 minutes to backup flash to a tar -- 260MB

I will make an option to use compression during backup, but I won't be using it
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
nice! will it be possible to clone (cloned) sd to flash, i.e. "restore" sd backup to flash? I'll be fine without this, but curious to know if that can be done.

Originally Posted by lm2 View Post
nice! will it be possible to clone (cloned) sd to flash, i.e. "restore" sd backup to flash? I'll be fine without this, but curious to know if that can be done.
flash to sd yes
sd to sd yes
sd to flash no
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
penguinbait, see if you can use fanoush's (very cool) idea for backing up an SD or flash partition... and then restoring it to flash in this post. This may be faster for backing up a compressed filesystem too.

I would love to know if you can figure out a way to mount that jffs2 image on a loop somehow.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
penguinbait, see if you can use fanoush's (very cool) idea for backing up an SD or flash partition... and then restoring it to flash in this post. This may be faster for backing up a compressed filesystem too.

I would love to know if you can figure out a way to mount that jffs2 image on a loop somehow.
So many things I want to say, but no sums it up nicely.

I just see no real need or benefit to restore to flash. I can backup flash and restore to SD. I am leaving the flash to the flasher tool.

I suppose if you can convince me to change my mind, but I doubt it. There is always v2??

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Argentina
Great idea, once again you create a very useful soft. Special thanks for the backup OS to tar. (how do you restore tar to sd?)
This looks like it doesn't touch the swap and fat partitions, only the system partition, right?, will you be making a swap creator? I mean, those of us who already partitioned with the "old" install-tools have the swap-ext2-fat combo, but those starting with this version will have to do that manually.
Thanks again

1) Clone from flash or any SD partition to any SD partition

2) Remove a package from a SD partition.

3) Bootmenu (install (including set timeout), upgrade (downloads new version from Fanoush), Set default boot device, FSCK on/off (turns on fsck on boot to flash)

4) Backup any partition to tar or tgz format

5) Restore from backup tar/tgz

6) Swap (pick a partition to setup swap, and pick its swap location)

I am working on 6 now, 1-5 are done, and seem to be working great.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I just see no real need or benefit to restore to flash. I can backup flash and restore to SD. I am leaving the flash to the flasher tool.

I suppose if you can convince me to change my mind, but I doubt it. There is always v2??
I see benefits of restore-to-flash - it would allow us to fix things more easily if they get broken or messed up by an experiment or a failed SSU (if booting still works from at least one source anyway) without the headache of a reflash.

And it would open up the possibility of keeping different configurations of the flash partition - I probably wouldn't use that myself, but I can see people doing that in addition to or instead of using boot-from-card.

Besides that, this sounds like it's already nearly perfect, and I am eager to try it out. Thanks!

Originally Posted by davidgro View Post
I see benefits of restore-to-flash - it would allow us to fix things more easily if they get broken or messed up by an experiment or a failed SSU (if booting still works from at least one source anyway) without the headache of a reflash.

And it would open up the possibility of keeping different configurations of the flash partition - I probably wouldn't use that myself, but I can see people doing that in addition to or instead of using boot-from-card.

Besides that, this sounds like it's already nearly perfect, and I am eager to try it out. Thanks!
I have it working, you can create a tar backup from flash or SD and restore it to SD or flash.

I updated the bootmenu section to allow you to pick the partitions you want to include in bootmenu.

Its almost done..

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-11-21 at 21:28.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Seattle
I thought of another thing would would be awesome but maybe not reasonable:
You currently have it so one can set up a fsck of the ext2 (what about ext3?) partitions when booting from flash.

But what about being able to setup a Debian-style fsck on boot (of an ext2/3 partition)? This would require the initial mount to be read-only and then remounting read/write after the check - whatever the results.

This would be really great for those of us with the battery problems (which is why I will be switching to ext3)