Active Topics

Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
google buys motorola for $12.5 billion.
Motorola Mobility. Pretty interesting, since this might change how other phone makers want to use Android. Wouldn't it be wicked if they all turned to MeeGo

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Paris
Damn' it's true!!!

Now Nokia is preparing to be the next selling bride but who's gonna get HTC?? And Sammy?? ....the option Meego becoming a little bit closer to reality ???...interesting time in the mobile world....

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I sincerely doubt that this will change anything with regard to Google's relationships with handset makers and carriers, except that they will now have an INCREDIBLY valuable patent portfolio with which to help HTC and others to defend themselves from Microsoft and Apple.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
WHOO! For anyone that was considering a Nook Color eReader to hack and generally destroy... Newegg has some refurbished units CHEAP!

NOOK Color by Barnes & Noble WiFiŽ eReader - Refurbished - BNRV200
Price:
$169.00 + FREE SHIPPING

http://www.buy.com/prod/nook-color-b...221376447.html
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Don't know if anyone else has seen this, but it sounds like Apple may have blundered, potentially seriously.

It appears that their court filings in Germany (which blocked the sale of the Tab 10.1) seriously distorted an image of the Tab, making appear much closer to the iPad in appearance, which is one of the primary issues their complaint is based on.

The article doesn't mention it, but I've read elsewhere that if Apple loses, they would have to pay damages to Samsung. If the injunction gets lifted, I wonder if Samsung can aggressively go after Apple for damages (and at least cost them some money to defend/dispute the damage value).

I'd think this may be a small but significant victory for Android. As word gets out, I'd expect the courts in other cases to perhaps take an even closer look at the evidence Apple presents as there is now evidence that Apple has presented incorrect misleading evidence (intentionally or not) in at least one case. The lawyers opposing Apple are now sure to try even harder to point out errors, no matter how small in Apples' cases as part of their defense. Which in turn could lead to more favorable outcomes for Android.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Don't know if anyone else has seen this, but it sounds like Apple may have blundered, potentially seriously.

It appears that their court filings in Germany (which blocked the sale of the Tab 10.1) seriously distorted an image of the Tab, making appear much closer to the iPad in appearance, which is one of the primary issues their complaint is based on.

The article doesn't mention it, but I've read elsewhere that if Apple loses, they would have to pay damages to Samsung. If the injunction gets lifted, I wonder if Samsung can aggressively go after Apple for damages (and at least cost them some money to defend/dispute the damage value).

I'd think this may be a small but significant victory for Android. As word gets out, I'd expect the courts in other cases to perhaps take an even closer look at the evidence Apple presents as there is now evidence that Apple has presented incorrect misleading evidence (intentionally or not) in at least one case. The lawyers opposing Apple are now sure to try even harder to point out errors, no matter how small in Apples' cases as part of their defense. Which in turn could lead to more favorable outcomes for Android.
Correct.
I hope the ban gets lifted and Apple if sued heavily for damages, they trully deserve it.

But its incorrect to say "more favourable outcomes for Android". The fact is, its favourable for the OEM, not the OS. Hell if MeeGo was a success, it would be in the same predicament unless Intel/Nokia shared their patents to those licensed partners.

Ultimately I see:
1) Google turning Motorola 180' and creating devices (next round) without bootloaders, without blur/stock interface, latest builds and fast updates. ie Motorola making more competitive phones.
2) Motorola not making losses, turning a profit (so Google bought cheap and invested wisely).
3) Android development slightly accelarated now that Google experiments directly between software and hardware
4) The next Nexus to be unveiled by IceCreamSandwhich Motorola with NFC and Google Wallet.
5) Google TV powered by Ice Cream Sandwhich (later Android build) and sold in stores.... possible through Motorola.
6) Motorola and perhaps other android oem's have more control over the final (software) product than the carriers. ie A shift in power to Google's favour.
7) HTC, Samsung, LG paying Google an undisclosed amount for the "with Google" title which will give latest Android, Google Apps, and access to Motorola's portfolio.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Hey guys sorry I haven't been posting for a while I've been in Montana. Anyways to add more to the Android news Xiaomi has made an Android device that is based on MIUI OS which is a heavily customized Android plus a touchwiz like UI. Anyways the real star of the show here is that device has 1.5ghz Snapdragon so this thing should be a real beast in terms of performance plus 1gb of ram and display from sharp that enhances outdoor viewability. The device also has a very large 1930mah battery and can last 2 days. To top it all of the device is only 300-410 dollars. If the Xiaomi Phone is available outside of Asia well no would have any real reason to get a Samsung or HTC device. If this is available in the it might be my first smart phone.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/16/x...al-core-soc-a/

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Well, I was hoping to get a new tablet by the end of the summer, and being a fan of the 7" size, I'm getting a little disappointed.

My favorite, the Asus MeMo looks to be delayed, perhaps permanently.

The Acer Iconia 100 looks to be a nice tablet, reasonably priced, but they skimped on the battery. If they could have made the battery life on par with the 10" tablets, I'd have bought one already. My biggest complaint about my current tablet is battery life.

The HTC Flyer is another great tablet, has a pen feature, decent battery. The price seems pretty steep though. Also, it's running 2.3, although 3.2 has been promised, but I'm oddly a little reluctant to buy based on promises. The 10" HTC tablet won't be out until October, so I doubt there'll be any price drops or 3.2 goodness until sometime after that.

So, I've been re-thinking my desire for a 7" tablet. Mostly, I like the portability of the size. However, in using my current 7" S7, that portability hasn't really come into play more than a couple times. I'm also starting to think that the 7" tablets will be stuck forever in-between. Apps will either be phone sized, and look a little stretched or skewed, or be 10" tablet sized, and look a little cramped. Due to relative availability, I doubt many developers will target the 7" size.

That said, a 10" tablet might be the best choice in the long run. I'm leaning towards the Transformer, as it seems to be the best value currently, has an optional keyboard, and Asus seems to be on the ball with updates. I know there are supposed to be some quad-cores out in the next couple months, but I'm starting to suspect that they won't really be available until the end of November at the earliest, if then.

Any thoughts? Sorry for such a long post.

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Well, I was hoping to get a new tablet by the end of the summer, and being a fan of the 7" size, I'm getting a little disappointed.

My favorite, the Asus MeMo looks to be delayed, perhaps permanently.

The Acer Iconia 100 looks to be a nice tablet, reasonably priced, but they skimped on the battery. If they could have made the battery life on par with the 10" tablets, I'd have bought one already. My biggest complaint about my current tablet is battery life.

The HTC Flyer is another great tablet, has a pen feature, decent battery. The price seems pretty steep though. Also, it's running 2.3, although 3.2 has been promised, but I'm oddly a little reluctant to buy based on promises. The 10" HTC tablet won't be out until October, so I doubt there'll be any price drops or 3.2 goodness until sometime after that.

So, I've been re-thinking my desire for a 7" tablet. Mostly, I like the portability of the size. However, in using my current 7" S7, that portability hasn't really come into play more than a couple times. I'm also starting to think that the 7" tablets will be stuck forever in-between. Apps will either be phone sized, and look a little stretched or skewed, or be 10" tablet sized, and look a little cramped. Due to relative availability, I doubt many developers will target the 7" size.

That said, a 10" tablet might be the best choice in the long run. I'm leaning towards the Transformer, as it seems to be the best value currently, has an optional keyboard, and Asus seems to be on the ball with updates. I know there are supposed to be some quad-cores out in the next couple months, but I'm starting to suspect that they won't really be available until the end of November at the earliest, if then.

Any thoughts? Sorry for such a long post.
I sincerely doubt that "developers will [not] target the 7" size"... especially since they generally aren't supposed to be targeting a specific size screen--but even if they did, there are a plethora of 7-inch tablets that they would be neglecting if they did--and as the owner of one such said device, I'm rarely (VERY rarely.. very) encountering any problems with the size of my device running apps.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I sincerely doubt that "developers will [not] target the 7" size"... especially since they generally aren't supposed to be targeting a specific size screen--but even if they did, there are a plethora of 7-inch tablets that they would be neglecting if they did--and as the owner of one such said device, I'm rarely (VERY rarely.. very) encountering any problems with the size of my device running apps.
Yeah, I know. I've only found a few apps that won't run on my S7 (Plants vs Zombies comes to mind). However, if you read some of the reviews for the Acer A100 (7", 3.2) there are at least a couple "tablet" apps that don't work due to screen size issues. I'm sure those apps will be updated in time. The more I ponder it, except for perhaps some edge cases, it shouldn't be much of an issue. Particularly if we start seeing higher density screens across the board. However, I'm not sure that you can design a ui that works equally well at 4" and 10". 7" is kind of in the middle and may end up with a lot of things that work, but don't "look" good?

Pondering my last post a bit more: My S7 doesn't have the worlds best screen, or battery life (2-4 hours depending). So, I'm debating whether or not I don't take advantage of the portability of the size due to the lack of portability of the battery life.

Having read a plethora of reviews in the last week or two, it seems that 7" tablets will get 4-6 hours battery life, whereas the 10" tablets get 6-9 hours. Even though the 7" tablets have a far smaller screen, the size prevents them from having a large enough battery to get the same battery life as their 10' bretheren.

So, the question is: Will ~5 hours be enough to convince me to carry a 7" tablet around during the day? (light use during the day, lunch, breaks, gaming/browsing in the evening, gaming/browsing/reading/videos later at night). Currently, my S7 is in the barely adequate / inadequate range.

In the 10" range, I'm not looking for a notebook replacement. Running Ubuntu either natively or in chroot on the current hardware is probably OK with me.

With current trends (thinner, lighter) I don't see battery life improving greatly with the next generation of hardware. Aside from better gaming (I'm not a hardcore gamer), it seems to me that hardware is progressing faster than software that can take advantage of it.

@dan I know you have the 7" Tab. Do you take advantage of the portability? (Take it along and use it, or just take it along)

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy