Hello, all. First timer (sheepishly) , and a new owner of N9.

While music is playing, only incoming calls interrupt the playback. Often times I need real-time text exchange with my husband, and this is a huge problem since my phone is playing something all the time.

I've tried different combinations of audio players and chat clients, but only Whatsapp gives a "faint" vibration and still no notification sound to pause the playback of MP3's.

This was never an issue with my old phone (5800), and since I got a micro SIM card for N9, I can't even switch to 5800 when I know for sure real-time chat or SMS is required.

I'm getting desperate, and I haven't been able to find an answer anywhere. If this has been brought up in the past, please point me to the thread. Otherwise please please advise. I'm not a tech, but I can carefully follow instructions. Thank you in advance.

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Nov 2012 @ Philippines
MrsReid,

As of now, I'm using the stock Music Player of the N9. I have my phone to the different available profiles (Silent, Beep, Ringing), tried to send a message to myself and have seen the following observations:

1. On Silent, if vibrate is enabled, whether music is playing or not you get a vibrating notif. No change there.
2. On beep, a notification sound is heard (a small beep) whilst music is playing as the SMS is received. Note the music is still playing. no pauses
3. On Ringing, with music playing, I still hear the same beep. No pauses.
4. On Ringing, without the music playing, I hear my assigned message alert tone.

I assume you want something along the lines of music pausing, then the notification sound (or your assigned message alert tone) playing? I'm not sure if there is an easily editable file in the system that manipulates this. I hope this observations do help though. Also, I'm on PR1.3.

Thank you for your reply. I tried silent and beep while using the stock player, but no notification sound, just as other music players. If I pause the music playback, all notification sounds come through .

Music doesn't really have to pause as long as I can hear the notification so that I don't miss SMS and ICQ chat messages. So far no luck with notification sounds or even vibration as long as music is playing.

[edit]
PR1.3 too. It got updated as soon as I unboxed the phone and connected to charge the battery.

Last edited by MrsReid; 2013-03-22 at 04:12. Reason: p.s.

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Nov 2012 @ Philippines
OK, I tried it again (I forgot to tell you I had ear phones at the time) without earphones, and indeed it was like that. I guess it was really meant to be that way. I noticed that the notification sounds only actually played when I had the earphones on. Try plugging it to a speaker (and maybe keep volume to a minimum). Then test it out again.

Anybody out there knowledgeable with config files?

Thank you again for your reply and trying.

Actually I always have headphones on. Tried both with and without using headphones. Tried N9 headphones, 5800 headphones, other serious headphones, etc., all the same result.

Missing notifications is a serious problem for me........hope somebody can help. Finally got a dream phone that I can't use..............

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
MrsReid,

I understand yours is a new phone that did an update OTA to pr1.3? If so its recommended you do a clean flash instead as OTA updates have been known to cause weird issues that are not always reproducible.

If you have a clean slate to start from things become much easier

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
MrsReid,

I understand yours is a new phone that did an update OTA to pr1.3? If so its recommended you do a clean flash instead as OTA updates have been known to cause weird issues that are not always reproducible.

If you have a clean slate to start from things become much easier
Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, as soon as I unboxed & started charging, the phone updated the firmware by itself. I'll read around the clean flash instruction carefully and try it. I'll report back, so please check my update.........(pretty please?).

On a side note, I contacted the developer of "rplay" MP3 player to ask if this app lets me hear SMS and chat notifications. His response was "No, music only pauses for phone calls and not other notifications". So I wasn't sure if the problem (feature??) resides in the app or the phone. There were many posts in Android forums asking how to turn off notifications during music playback...........can't imagine one wants to miss notifications, but I guess heavy phone users don't want to be bothered by notifications all the time.

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
I doubt re-flashing will help anything here, so I suggest you to forget that at least for now. Especially if you are not familiar with flashing at all.

To me it sounds that your phone is working correctly. (That is, as intended, which might be something else that you would expect, though...)

If I recall correctly, SMS etc. sounds will follow "System sounds" volume, when some media playback is going on. So go to "Settings" -> "Sounds and vibration" menu and try to increase "System sounds" and try if it helps!

Of course, it will increase some other system sounds in different use cases as well, which might be somewhat annoying sometimes, but that's the best you can do without starting to mess around with Resource Policy configuration files, I'm afraid.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kallela For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kallela View Post
Of course, it will increase some other system sounds in different use cases as well, which might be somewhat annoying sometimes, but that's the best you can do without starting to mess around with Resource Policy configuration files, I'm afraid.
Thank you, Kallela. I've tried everything that I can do without breaking the phone. All sound and vibration levels are maxed. An assigned SMS notification does sound and vibration works, only if music isn't playing. So the volume level is not the issue.

I had another email from a developer of "rplay" music player, and he says pausing music when notifications come is possible on the app side, except he doesn't have the time to modify the player.

Hi, I think i've solved ur problem, the faint notification sound will only play when you lock your screen and in standby. The sound is quite obvious if u have ur headphones on. But if you leave your screen on while playing music and chating, the OS would think that you are looking at your screen all the time and has no sound at all. Hope that helps