Active Topics

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
i presumed this was 'the' kernel of the device (rather than the davlik emulation layer), and so asked if the android build of the linux kernel was replacing the mer build of the linux kernel in future jolla devices. this didn't seem entirely unreasonable given that people are running sailfish UI over android derived cyanogenmod kernel.
Jolla 1/Sbj has always used an Android kernel, android drivers, and many android hardware-related userspace libraries.

Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
to my limited understanding, 'the' kernel is the mer build of linux with its customised config/drivers/versions.
additionally, my limited understanding is that the jolla phone is packaged with the davlik emulation layer, which mimics android 4.4 (the last version of android that used the old style apk files used in older android phones.
The Jolla phone 1 has effectively two Android environments. The one used to handle hardware drivers, and the AlienDalvik one.

If JollaC removes Dalvik, then it has just one Android environment, so less blobs.

Last edited by javispedro; 2016-06-05 at 15:11.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
thanks. where does mer fit into this then?

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
The kernel is less of a 'Linux distribution' than that. It is just the basic piece of software that manages the resources of the system and provides them to the operating system above, which in our case is Mer/sailfish.

The reason the Jollas must use Android Linux kernels is that the hardware it uses only has Android drivers available. The manufacturers don't give Jolla the source code for their hardware drivers, only binary drivers for a specific version of an Android kernel. Stskeeps came up with a translation layer that lets normal Linux software work on top of an Android kernel, which let Jolla assemble lots of standard Linux components into a real mobile Linux operating system. This is Mer, and then with the gesture OS and silica look and feel on top of that, Sailfish.

Alien Dalvik lets Android apps sit on top of Mer, and simulates the rest of Android for them. For instance, Whatsapp is given a view on the Sailfish/Mer address book, as if it were the Android one.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to abranson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abranson View Post

Alien Dalvik lets Android apps sit on top of Mer, and simulates the rest of Android for them. For instance, Whatsapp is given a view on the Sailfish/Mer address book, as if it were the Android one.
I think Dalvik bypasses Mer / SF entirely, at least for basic command queues and resource management, rather than sitting on top of it.

Hence why Android apps inside it don't have the task scheduling / big performance hit that native SF apps do ...

Until Jolla fix that (they've known about it at least 18 months, if not since the beginning), they're better off making swipe based Android apps and improving AD integration.***

If I have to bet money, they won't have fixed it for the Intex phone (Jolla C) ... and half the cores will be useless, and the other half not being kept busy enough in SF.

*** It's not an inherent thing with libhybris, since Ubuntu Touch uses it and doesn't have this issue at all, and also sits on top of Android drivers and CyanogenMod.

Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
I think Dalvik bypasses Mer / SF entirely, at least for basic command queues and resource management, rather than sitting on top of it.

Hence why Android apps inside it don't have the task scheduling / big performance hit that native SF apps do ...

Until Jolla fix that (they've known about it at least 18 months, if not since the beginning), they're better off making swipe based Android apps and improving AD integration.***

If I have to bet money, they won't have fixed it for the Intex phone (Jolla C) ... and half the cores will be useless, and the other half not being kept busy enough in SF.

*** It's not an inherent thing with libhybris, since Ubuntu Touch uses it and doesn't have this issue at all, and also sits on top of Android drivers and CyanogenMod.
Is there a TJC question or a Mer Bugzilla issue about this? I've never heard of it before.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Actually the performance of Ubuntu Touch seems much worse to me compared to Sailfish on comparable or even more powerful hardware - which is kinda bad, considering how Ubuntu Touch doesn't even support multitasking and freezes apps that don't have focus.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona

Not really; if anything, Dalvik has at least one additional abstraction layer over a "native SF app".

My experience is completely contrary to yours, anyway.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Has anyone received invitation?

"A selected group of first program members will also get an
invitation to the International Sailfish Community Event on June 17,2016 in Helsinki. "
https://sailfishos.org/community/#Events

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KylliOrvokki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leipzig/Germany
I got an invitation, but unfortunately can't make it due to work. The deadline for accepting the invitation was the 01.06.2016.

http://www.seiichiro0185.org

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to seiichiro0185 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by KylliOrvokki View Post
Has anyone received invitation?
Yup, and I'm going.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bubbless For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla c, sailfish os