Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
This......And those that are faster, are faster on paper and in benchmarks but for most people IRL there's no difference. Games are excluded.
And even more important, MediaCrap brings nothing to OSS world, they never release any source and if you don't get support from OEM (which is most likely for 95% of unknown cheap phones out there) then you have junk. With qualcomm and a bit of knowledge you can greatly improve experience and lifetime of your device.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
tbh if qualcomm wanna be the closed source dicks, am surprised MediaTek or someone isn't going for the oss market and nabbing what they can. Since they'd be the only real choice for chips for linux based stuff.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
tbh if qualcomm wanna be the closed source dicks, am surprised MediaTek or someone isn't going for the oss market and nabbing what they can. Since they'd be the only real choice for chips for linux based stuff.
Simple. The OSS market is not worth the effort. Haven't we learnt that by now?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
There's no reason not to use almost entirely gestures now, as @mscion hinted at, if you're happy to root your phone (usually a simple process). The gesture options are also far more comprehensive and configurable in Android than we've ever had access to in 3 years of 'development' of Sailfish, as a supposedly gesture based OS.
- rooting your phone is only a simple process if you own a very expensive one, which are always the most popular, because nobody bothers hacking around on cheap phones nobody owns
- even then calling it 'a simple process' severely overestimates the technological knowledge of the general population
- the gesture options are not configurable in Android, they're configurable in a proprietary third party application which requires root access and has your permission to connect to Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and USB (definitely not a recipe for eventual but certain disaster), you know, like patchmanager, which isn't proprietary and doesn't make any external connections
- I didn't know 'gesture-based OS' meant 'an OS of which it is possible to configure all gestures', but please do inform me how to configure the location/function of the buttons in Android considering it is a 'button-based OS'

Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Simple. The OSS market is not worth the effort. Haven't we learnt that by now?
Surely it can't be that hard to dump the source code, even completely undocumented. What is there to lose? But I guess then I would be complaining about the lack of documentation.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
This......And those that are faster, are faster on paper and in benchmarks but for most people IRL there's no difference. Games are excluded.
And even more important, MediaCrap brings nothing to OSS world, they never release any source and if you don't get support from OEM (which is most likely for 95% of unknown cheap phones out there) then you have junk. With qualcomm and a bit of knowledge you can greatly improve experience and lifetime of your device.
Excuse me, i have an Android one with MTK chipset inside it, you know what? Almost all major custom ROM support this handset officially, but yeah i admit they suck at the source thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
SD801 is the chipset in Fairphone 2. I wasn't expecting it to be fast, having heard people talk about how the hardware is "old" etc, but SFOS is very fast on it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Nope. That old sd801 is a more powerful chip than the nonsense MediaTek regularly churns out. The MT6753 is an octa core of low performance A53 cores. It's role is to be in low end devices or to be part of chips with A57 cores. The SD801 is 4 Krait 400 cores. Rather have 4 older but high end cores than 8 low end cores.

The SD801 is only bettered by SD805, 820, 652 and Exonys chips. Even the SD810 loses out due to its poor thermal efficiency. It's one of the reasons why 2014 Android devices still last and people were not too bothered to upgrade to 2015 devices.
Complete hogwash. The A53s are MUCH faster and more power efficient than the Krait 400 cores. Even in single core tasks they're not significantly slower. It's not even close, the SD801 is horribly inefficent compared to modern cores.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2016-06-12 at 03:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
SD801 is the chipset in Fairphone 2. I wasn't expecting it to be fast, having heard people talk about how the hardware is "old" etc, but SFOS is very fast on it.
Oh yeah? Like people claim it's "so fast" on the Nexus 5, when it's barely any different at all to the original Jolla phone? The only thing that makes a real difference on either device at the moment is the extra RAM. SF can't really use the extra cores / IPC.

Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Complete hogwash. The A53s are MUCH faster and more power efficient than the Krait 400 cores. Even in single core tasks they're not significantly slower. It's not even close, the SD801 is horribly inefficent compared to modern cores.
enough with the nonsense, Krait 400 core is faster then A53.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Oh yeah? Like people claim it's "so fast" on the Nexus 5, when it's barely any different at all to the original Jolla phone? The only thing that makes a real difference on either device at the moment is the extra RAM. SF can't really use the extra cores / IPC.
On nexus 5 sfos renders many more pixels and it feels slightly more snappy nevertheless. In top i see sensors eating 25% on all cores constantly. Still it is faster than jp1 but has less battery duration.
If only Jolla C performs like the nexus 5 port, i am happy already.
Memory management optimization actually is what i hope for most. To the layman it is obvious that neither the tablet, nor the 2 gb ported phones perform like they have double the ram of jp1.

Last edited by mosen; 2016-06-12 at 09:21.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post: