Active Topics

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Apparently we're a collective. oO

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Apparently we're a collective. oO
Are you trying to tell me where I should implant my N900?

I thought The Borg were Swedish, Not Finnish.

I've owned an iPod touch for almost a year now. I really like it, but I can be so much more lazy and conserve so much more energy with a stylus. The iPod, quite frankly, is a pain in the a*s to use sometimes.

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
I think the very latest MeeGo news has changed everything. As I've said before, the n900 is a one-off. A pure transitional device.
Yeah, but I don't think it was originally intended to be at all except as a transition to adding phone capabilities to tablets. It was supposed to be step 4 of 5, continuing of the evolution of pocket computing/Maemo that started with the 770. MeeGo switched that train to a little different track.

Everyone raise their hands who think Nokia will ever use a resistive screen again in one of their high end devices.
I sure hope they do, maybe offer something like a N920C and N920R. Capacitive screens suck, but the iPhone and Android phones have brainwashed the public about them.

Now, combine (a handset) with the latest Qt eye candy. Cool, let's add in an OS. Take your pick: Symbian, MeeGo, Harmattan, LG's MeeGo, ..., etc. If Qt 4.7 can truly hide 98% of the OS from the application developer, f*ck Android. Again, with the latest MeeGo news, porting Android might have just gotten a hundred times easier. And without even knowing it, I could be a Symbian developer by this time next year.
Well, you would be a multiple OS developer. I'm no developer, but that sounds like a Good Thing to me.

There's no good reason why Nokia should throw in the OS towel at this point. Or ever, really.
Exactly. In the overall scheme of things in the mobile device world, it's still very early in the game. I agree with what you said, MeeGo changes everything. We can't imagine yet what's to come and how all this will work out in just 2-3 years, much less 5-10 years.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Nonsense... I ain't a fanboy, I've never had or thought of buying a Nokia... I believe they did it very well... for the first try... just give it a bit of more time and love and run a few tweaks... This must be the less slugish mobile device I've come across... and I tried many including iphones.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I'm not sure if you could say miniscue investment without clarifying it (time, money, etc..). For example to support an OS you have to be actively fixing it (the more developers the better). You have to be actively promoting the OS as well (Apple, Android). You have to make connections with developers and other companies to interest them in your platform. And I think probably to the heads of Nokia, they think that given Maemo and Symbian, one which has the proven userbase (Symbian) that they should invest more of their time into Symbian rather than Maemo.
I think the key to the OS thing is reusability. They release 17231 phone models each year, give or take, and the OS is for the most part reusable, they're just tweaked by adding\subsctracting\modifying certain modules\capabilities\apps depending on the target market.

So yeah, I'd reckon it's a small figure in terms of financial, time and effort, relatively speaking to their bahemothian (bahemian? baho... er gargantuan) size.

For example, need your device in smartphone mode (e.g. your not doing anything that needs the mobile computer aspect) then just use Android. Then boot into Maemo when you need to edit a document, give a presentation, or whatever the heck you do (or not do necessarily since my use case is probably not prevelant). And you still retain phone call functionality in case someone calls you. Of course the boot switching has to be fast.
It'd be interesting to have VM 'window' to your secondary OS in whichever mode you are
(ie: when you're in android, maemo is virtualized .. .and vice versa). You can do this on desktops.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
Yeah, but I don't think it was originally intended to be at all except as a transition to adding phone capabilities to tablets. It was supposed to be step 4 of 5, continuing of the evolution of pocket computing/Maemo that started with the 770. MeeGo switched that train to a little different track.
Nokia didn't want to call it a tablet, and they didn't want to call it a phone. I don't think you were around yet for the renaming contest.

It would be interesting to know the exact date when some Nokia exec signed off on the n900 hardware specs. I would guess that it was no later than late Q1/early Q2 2008. If so, they were in between a rock and a hard place. Everything was moving to capacitive and I think Nokia really wanted to dump the stylus. It was a good surprise. At one point, a bunch of us were freakin' out that the case wasn't even gonna have a stylus holder.

I sure hope they do, maybe offer something like a N920C and N920R. Capacitive screens suck, but the iPhone and Android phones have brainwashed the public about them.
If so, which I doubt, they're gonna have to do something about the screen material. I'm one of those in-the-buff people. The n810 screen seems bullet proof, but I can scratch the n900 with my finger nail.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
The joke is, I'm the one guy.
I'm Spartacus!
( I hope Nokia do not "write-off" the idea if using a stylus in their devices, it gives you some much more accuracy then using your finger, bloody stump or forehead )

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I think capacitive screen covers some 80% of the most used activities (typing, ui navigation, games, etc) 'better' than those that require small contact points or a stylus (handwriting, drawing), thus the major exodus from resistive to capacitive in touchscreen phones.

ps: personally, after using the bigger tablet (ipad) i also think that stylus would work much better on a device with 5" or bigger screen AND it needs to be active digitizer, so you can place your hand anywhere and start writing/drawing naturally without any other parts of your hands interfering with the sensors.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

I think I'll hope for devices to begin to integrate the touchscreen technology that combines the best of both.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Tags
fud, fud-ohwait-not, just shoot me, open source