Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Well there's no point in building this for thumb the python modules, as it's all interpreter. Building python2.7 thumb might be an idea but where should we host it? It's much more important to take care of the modules.

As for the thumb - I'm unable to set this up for various reasons. But I might provide support in the discussion, as I'm all for it. Is there any in charge of the autobuilder? I posted a concept here but it aroused no interest.

Added a category for unknown importance modules - which are used by some of the apps but I can't state their importance. Feel free to assign them to any of the categories.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
OK, I left some time to add the modules to the Pad. I've just added some of the depends to the essentials.

Now the question about upstreaming - will we try to update the modules to upstream version (so taken from Ubuntu/Debian)? I think we should, at least where we can.

If there's no upstream package, let's write NO UPSTREAM AVAILABLE, when we are updating - UPSTREAM. The other would be "to be decided". matplotlib needs upstreaming, so added this.

Should you find any more essential packages while doing anything, feel free to add them.

And please write which of the packages you'd like to take. I think that each of us should take one 'essential' package to start with. I'd take python-setuptools and I'd try upstreaming.

I won't be able to start porting before 15th Nov. When would you be able?

Last edited by marmistrz; 2014-11-10 at 18:33.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
i'll try to look at the list tomorrow.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
What we doing regarding /usr/share>/opt mapping like in 2.5? Been looking at python-cairo for example. If mapping exists it wouldn't need much to adapt the 2.5 version to 2.7.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I am happy to help if someone can give me a small number of small, well defined, very specific, self-contained tasks.
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
i suppose very first should be checking depenencies on closed source apps to see if there are any using 2.3 or 2.5 as we can't help but keep a version around for them, so it may effect how we approach everything else.

then, check aapo's 2.7 meets all requirements, optification, build options etc. get preferred version into devel.

identify 2.3/2.5 external modules, push new versions as python2.7-modname.

identify list of packages depending on python and those using it as builddep, update to use 2.7. build, test and push.
The above is a perfect example of a small number of tasks that may look "small, well defined, very specific and self-contained" to someone with the required know-how. Unfortunately, to me, it
sounds a bit like "move the froodle over to the sherpool and engage the sprangle to initiate the dudangle." In other words, I have no idea what you are on about

I may have a look at that and perhaps learn a few new things in the process (for example, how to identify dependencies) but I'm afraid it will take much longer than previously expected. I have recently started a new job that requires quite a lot of commuting, which means I usually come home quite late and all that I can think of is a dinner and a bed.

Please accept my apologies for raising your expectations and then failing to deliver.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Yeah, it needed a bit of fleshing out. Sorry.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Important notice to all: some modules exist in /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages, such as osso or gst-0.10. They might not need porting. But it needs testing.

Anyway python2.7 has a buggy postinst, which goes mad if /usr/lib/python2.7 exists, so we need to put everything on hold until it's fixed. Reporting it to Aapo right now.

pichlo: I understand What about taking some of the non-crucial, non-upstream packages like python-hildon? Then you can take as much time as you want (it's no blocker, nothing upstream depends on it, it's more about maintaining compatibility, etc.) to learn more about the packaging.
And if you want to learn something about the packaging, here's something for you [1].

[1] http://packaging.ubuntu.com/html/deb...-overview.html

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
What pichlo said, but I'm looking forward to learn also. Installing my development environment in my linux box in the next few days.

The Following User Says Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
malfunctioning, wazrus: beside this, choose yourself an "essential" package from the list so that we're ready to go once python2.7 installation bug has been fixed.

sorry i can't post in as much detail as i'd like but internet connection is flaky as hell. 2g won't connect despite 4 bars, 3g going up and down like crazy. i'm standing right by the window in london borough ffs.

first, python-central: depreciated now in favour of dh_python. a guide exists on debian wiki to migrate and there is a backport to wheezy. didn't download it this morning at home to try building, sure as hell aren't going to try at the moment. so what about the version we have? well, it doesn't support 2.7. need at least 0.6.17, last version i can find, last before it got removed from debian. i did manage to build it, all i changed was rules file to add scratchbox section from our 0.6.11 package and depends in control file to match ours (ie python2.5 added, po4a removed). haven't tested as it's on laptop, with dead battery, and it needs another package (python-defaults iirc) to be updated. so when laptop charged a bit after lunch i'll take a look.

there is one change regarding cleanup of packages that works on 2.3, 2.4, 2.5 only. notes that 2.6 wasn't shipped and change not required on 2.7, but this may not be the case for us.

python-minimal: /usr/share/python/debian-defaults doesn't list what to do with 2.7 (supported/unsupported). not sure if necessary to add that we support 2.7 but keep 2.5 listed as default.

gonna keep digging with what i've got unless connection stablizes in which case i'll look at dh_python.

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post: