Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Add JR10-VOINO to the coupon code list:
https://twitter.com/TimMcDigital/sta...15166567772161

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Personally a think jolla price right now should be around 299. That was the price for N9 after 7 month.
Officially? or just through retailers trying to dump an abandoned handset and OS?

Either way, I don't think the N9's pricing is a good comparison.

If you had bought a Samsung you would have lost 30% of its price in 6 months. It's normal, products lose their value over time, it's called market

am wondering if there ever going to do something creative with the other halfs or is this strictly going to be third party or community

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
bit of a slap in the face for those who paid full price for it when it came out to have it delayed among other things, but ah well
why? this thing is out for more than half a year.
Because to the customers who were loyal you were rewarded with more or less nothing, yet new customers get the new stuff. kinda like with banks really.
Now this is one strange opinion you're having, mate, I bet you did not think this through really.

What do yo mean by that, "rewarded with more or less nothing", I got my device immediately at the launch and I still am happily using it as my main device every day.
What has happened is that the usability has increased a lot due to the excellent SW updates but the basic device that is for sale now is exactly the same as the one I got in my sticky paws last November!

I am happy I paid extra to get my device early, look around and tell me which 6 months old device is still sold at 85% of the original entry price... (and with special discount code, that is!)
I bet most phones get discounted a lot more so Jolla has kept it's value pretty nicely.

Do you think the value has somewhat been lowered by getting new SW on it? that sounds plain silly to me...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Now this is one strange opinion you're having, mate, I bet you did not think this through really.

What do yo mean by that, "rewarded with more or less nothing", I got my device immediately at the launch and I still am happily using it as my main device every day.
What has happened is that the usability has increased a lot due to the excellent SW updates but the basic device that is for sale now is exactly the same as the one I got in my sticky paws last November!

I am happy I paid extra to get my device early, look around and tell me which 6 months old device is still sold at 85% of the original entry price... (and with special discount code, that is!)
I bet most phones get discounted a lot more so Jolla has kept it's value pretty nicely.

Do you think the value has somewhat been lowered by getting new SW on it? that sounds plain silly to me...
am glad I did because its taken forever to get to other devices. but having a device coupled with enough reboots to make me want to throw the device at people, mehh

This price drop is a bit late for me and not enough, I bought Nexus 5 16GB just few days ago for 299 €. I agree with Dave999, Jolla phone should be today max. 300 €.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by kolos View Post
This price drop is a bit late for me and not enough, I bought Nexus 5 16GB just few days ago for 299 €. I agree with Dave999, Jolla phone should be today max. 300 €.
All Nexus devices are pretty much subsidized by Google which then profits from the advertising and services (the same situation is with Amazon and its Kindle). That's definitely not comparable to Jolla.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
All Nexus devices are pretty much subsidized by Google which then profits from the advertising and services (the same situation is with Amazon and its Kindle). That's definitely not comparable to Jolla.
It's subsidized, but also with much better hardware. Phones with hardware similar to Jolla's are around 200 € today.

The Following User Says Thank You to kolos For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by kolos View Post
It's subsidized, but also with much better hardware. Phones with hardware similar to Jolla's are around 200 € today.

http://outletfreunde.de/wp-content/u...preis-real.jpg
And, do you think developing the sw/services/back-ends are worth nothing?
Not prepared to pay slightly more for a device specc'd similarly to a $200 Android device, in order to get a more open* & truly independent sw_stack/ecosystem, one not controlled by a giant multinational conglomerate?

If you don't care about any of that, then yes it's true, you're probably best-off just sticking with the Nexus, it's a great device, I've got one coming soon too.
I'll also be getting a Jolla, but only on the proviso that they start to give a **** about my region...

*yes the uppermost UX layers aren't as open as Android (there's Nemo for that), but one must look at the entire picture (not just the ph's sw_stack), which admittedly Jolla hasn't fully clarified yet

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-06-08 at 15:57.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post: