Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Of course it can.
Thank you. I just wanted it in writing and coming from someone else rather than me!
Well, the problem is that when people talk of "multitasking" they mostly do not know the first end of the thing they have so strong opinions about.

Multitasking has just one single well-defined meaning in the context of computers, and all digital telephone devices, whether dubbed smartphones or dumbphones are computers.
Multitasking means that the device has the capability of holding more than one execution context in memory, and has a task switching mechanism that can allocate processor cycles to execution contexts.

It is up to the operating system and the application development libraries how they implement this in a useful context to the user.

Some systems are built so that they enforce developer to use a design pattern where only one foreground application is allowed to interact with its environment. This might annoy some people as it is possible for example that a poorly designed music player stops when pushed to background.

Other systems allow all interactive applications to continue when not in the foreground focus, which then again might annoy some people as it is possible to have two different sound sources play at the same time.

You are free to choose which method annoys you less
However, both kind of systems and all the range between can be built on top of the same core OS.
Hence, it is meaningless to talk about multitasking in this context.

Note: Some people seem to think that having background processes frozen leads to less power consumption but this is not actually true as given. The isolation from environment is done on level up from the core OS, and it makes really small difference powerwise whether most cycles are given to one application or to several applications...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Cant we have some hack that when we minimize the app, that we do not let the app know it has been minimized.

Example use case:

How it looks like at the moment:
Official Android YouTube app > open a video/music > minimize > Video/Music stops

With some hack (to not let the app know you have minimized):
Official Android YouTube app > open a video/music > minimize > Video/Music does NOT stop

anyone?
Very easy to do.

There are operating system hooks that tell the application what is the current focus. You are free to implement functionality to continue playing when you receive an out-of-focus message.

Many application developers just implement the functionality strictly as Android development guide tells you to do.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Usually they only stop running if Android runs out of RAM.
That is the biggest mystery. How can a phone with 3GB RAM ever run out of RAM?

Debian 7 with LXDE running on my old laptop with 1 GB RAM and no swap has never ever run out of memory. That includes the OS, Firefox with a few open tabs, Firebird, FreeOffice and DVD Author. Not to mention an anti-virus software, which on its own uses nearly 300 MB.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Very easy to do.

There are operating system hooks that tell the application what is the current focus. You are free to implement functionality to continue playing when you receive an out-of-focus message.

Many application developers just implement the functionality strictly as Android development guide tells you to do.
If you are the developer, yes...
But what I mean is can we apply this to apps that already has such stupid 'stop when minimized' thing? (Maybe by editing some files from the dalvik?)

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Cant we have some hack that when we minimize the app, that we do not let the app know it has been minimized.

Example use case:

How it looks like at the moment:
Official Android YouTube app > open a video/music > minimize > Video/Music stops

With some hack (to not let the app know you have minimized):
Official Android YouTube app > open a video/music > minimize > Video/Music does NOT stop

anyone?
I have always wished for something like that as an Xposed module where you select the app to continue running by default unless you explicitly kill it. Another annoying experience: sometimes Android would kill a document editor I had put in background such that I lose the changes I had made. Learned to always save changes when moving to another task! Anyways, the user should decide whether to kill certain apps. I'd rather the OS tell me that there is no enough memory to run the app and leave the decision up to me of what to stop rather than the OS.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
If you are the developer, yes...
But what I mean is can we apply this to apps that already has such stupid 'stop when minimized' thing? (Maybe by editing some files from the dalvik?)
Yes, that could probably be done, but I'd prefer that the application takes care of the wanted behaviour itself.
If the execution environment fakes the signals to the application there probably are going to be some side-effects, some non-optinal behaviour for example.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Yes, that could probably be done, but I'd prefer that the application takes care of the wanted behaviour itself.
If the execution environment fakes the signals to the application there probably are going to be some side-effects, some non-optinal behaviour for example.
Yes. I agree, It should be by design in general. I also, wonder if this is buisness model related. For example, the Youtube app does not allow you to put a video in background. It will let you pause when putting it in background (better than playing from the beginning I suppose). But if I go to Youtube using certain browsers (try app Lucid Browser) the same Youtube stream will play when you minimize the browser. My guess is that YouTube aka Google would rather you watch the video and not put it background because you would not see the ads. On the other hand HtheB's suggesion of fooling Android at times may not be so bad as I use an Xposed module called YouTube AdAway that bypasses the ads on Youtube

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
Or we could take a look at how other Android apps do it? Like I said, XBox Music plays fine even if you minimize it on SailfishOS. We could debug to see how they do that.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Android allows apps to setup background processes, for example to continue playing music, or keep a terminal open, while the app (the process controlling the UI) itself might get frozen or killed at will anytime.

The OS itself (it's a Linux kernel after all) can multitask just fine. It's the Android user land that artificially takes the privilege of multitasking away from the apps. iOS and WP are no different in that regard.

If apps ignore the Google guidelines (such as save state and pause when sent to background), they may indeed give a better multitasking experience on a Jolla phone than "well-behaving" apps (in terms of the guidelines).

When I say that Andoid cannot multitask, I actually mean that I cannot multitask using Android. Heck, some apps even restart when rotating the screen (e.g. the Amazon MP3 app). What an excellent user experience... :/

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post: