Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
So the problem comes down to one thing...getting the phone to go to flash mode via the "u" button which just won't work.

If I can get the phone to do that, then I can reflash it.

-Socrates 469 BC

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by spinnukur View Post
Having huge problem which no one on freenode chat can help me with.

Nothing is showing up at when holding down the "u" button and plugging in the USB cable. Yes the N900 is fully charged ( I'm not that noobish ), and nothing is happening, except every 20 seconds or so the yellow light comes on and stays yellow, and the vibrating device does a real quick "turning on" signal, Nokia comes up on the screen but no backlight or anything else.

Tried using the flasher, say's it unpacked images then say's "Nothing to Do" then gives lists of flasher options.

WTF do I do next cause no one seems to know what to do and I've followed all steps according to maemo wiki

Thanks, I'm just really emoraging right now cause nothing is working

mate i had the same issue. I thought the phone was fully charged but it was not. I recommend you get a fully charged spare battery or get a desktop charger for your n900. trust me 100% its your battery. the phones firmware controls the charging. if the firmware is not there or damaged it will never fully charge, maybe only 0.1% so you might be able to turn it on for a few seconds. It keeps restarting when you try to charge because the firmware is not there or damaged. The exact same thing happened to me. I kept it on charge for 2 days and it still didn’t fully charge, when I tested my battery on another 5800 it was fully dead.

I used a full battery from a 5800 and it worked for me. Trust me use another battery you know for a fact is 100% charged and try again. Thank me when it works

if you go back to the start of this thread you will see that i had the same issues as you.

Last edited by felbutss; 2010-01-12 at 07:00.

Originally Posted by felbutss View Post
mate i had the same issue. I thought the phone was fully charged but it was not. I recommend you get a fully charged spare battery or get a desktop charger for your n900. trust me 100% its your battery. the phones firmware controls the charging. if the firmware is not there or damaged it will never fully charge, maybe only 0.1% so you might be able to turn it on for a few seconds. It keeps restarting when you try to charge because the firmware is not there or damaged. The exact same thing happened to me. I kept it on charge for 2 days and it still didn’t fully charge, when I tested my battery on another 5800 it was fully dead.

I used a full battery from a 5800 and it worked for me. Trust me use another battery you know for a fact is 100% charged and try again. Thank me when it works

if you go back to the start of this thread you will see that i had the same issues as you.
Thing is I also thought it might have been the battery, that's why I took the battery out of my gf's N900 and replaced it with mine - still same thing, nothing happens.

-Socrates 469 BC

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Thing is I also thought it might have been the battery, that's why I took the battery out of my gf's N900 and replaced it with mine - still same thing, nothing happens.
Like I said, download flasher-3.5 and use these instructions:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_firmware#Windows

There's many similar topics here which will definitely help you.

Press "U" before you plug it on USB. And you need to press "u" button for about 1-2mins while it's connected. When you let go, the orange led should go on.

Last edited by Blinde; 2010-01-12 at 18:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to Blinde For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Blinde View Post
Like I said, download flasher-3.5 and use these instructions:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_firmware#Windows

There's many similar topics here which will definitely help you.

Press "U" before you plug it on USB. And you need to press "u" button for about 1-2mins while it's connected. When you let go, the orange led should go on.
Thanks for the info but maybe you should have read my previous posts, I already know all that stuff and have tried it many times as well as trying to get help from freenode chat room with no success.

-Socrates 469 BC

Thanks for the info but maybe you should have read my previous posts, I already know all that stuff and have tried it many times as well as trying to get help from freenode chat room with no success.
Are you holding the U key while you turn the device on, or are you turning the device on then pressing U?

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland

Originally Posted by marpsoft View Post
OK Guys. Solution for all that have Vista 64bit OS (or other 64 bit microshit) and cant flash n900 and posible many other devices.
You need to turn on loading of unsigned drivers.
You do it by choosing option in text boot menu (the one that you will get after pushing "F8" key just on start of Windows booting).
You need to choose from text menu "Boot without checking for signed drivers" or similar (cant exactly write option name because got polish edition of Vista)
If someone can check how its called in english version properly then please write it.

Good luck.
Have a nice day.
And pray for fast firmware update (Bricked 2 times in 1 week).
Thanks marpsoft,
This is called Disable Driver Signature Enforcement

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Are you holding the U key while you turn the device on, or are you turning the device on then pressing U?

Lol, please read my previous post.

@ All:

Fixed the problem late last night. Just doing random things trying to get it to reboot into flash mode I was able to.

Here's the steps I used.

First disabled drivers, made sure I had full battery ( used my gf's N900 battery ), instead of holding down I just kept on pushing it over and over again as I plugged into my computer, usb icon then came up, was able to flash, then did restore of my backup on mem card and bam! Back in business.

-Socrates 469 BC

The Following User Says Thank You to spinnukur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
btw. I´m not sure about this but I think that it should be also advised people to (at least with windows) take off all the usb device off except mouse/keyboard, also usb hubs and reboot computer and disable/exit any Nokia software and also Av-software. And after then try the usb flash program with given guides.

This is for me just common sense when dealing with these kind of stuff, but not for everybody and I think that this kind of methods probably at least take away some factors where there can be errors/bugs/compatibility issues.

Tags
lack of quality control