Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Originally Posted by pingu View Post
What about the processor and memory?
Nexus One: 1ghz Qualcomm snapdragon QSD8250
N900: arm cortex-a8 ti omap3430 600mhz

Ram memory:
Nexus One: 512mb
N900: 256mb

I've read that the "snapdragon" and "cortex-a8 omap3430" are very similar, but yet the omap3430 has a frequency of 600mhz whereas the snapdragon has 1ghz.
I've also read that although the omap3430 has 600mhz, it is considered to be more frequent powerful than only 600mhz. How? and about how much?
Basically, ARM processors, and even "intel" processors are NOT based on just clock speed. For example, my 1.6Ghz i7 is a **** ton faster than my 2.5 Ghz Pentium 4, but its almost a whole Ghz slower! Same thing here, with the OMAP has a lower clock speed but different DSP's to do separate tasks (decode video, music, games), while the Snapdragon uses one huge processor to do everything. Both have their pro's and cons.

But I do like the 512 MB ram in the Nexus. However, no one is able to slow down the Nokia with its 1GB swap, even with 20 apps open!

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
This analogy is imprecise but pingu think of it this way.

You have one computer in which it has a dedicated video card, audio card, etc.. That means the CPU focuses purely on number crunching and processing letting the video card do video, audio card, process audio.

You then have another computer that only has a CPU and it processes everything.

That's the reason why even though there's a "400 Mhz" difference (in reality Mhz is imprecise considering all the strangeness in CPU technology) they have similar performance. Because while the A8 technically has a slower CPU, the Snapdragon has to juggle more with its CPU so that negates its speed benefit.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-01-08 at 21:06.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Thesandlord and Laughing Man: Thank you very much for answering!!!

Another question:
Does the DSP on the N900 functions as an assisting processor that helps the cortex-a8 in everything or is it only for music, images, movies...?

I believe the DSP is specialized for that purpose (think video card or audio card in a PC).

(though people have gotten video cards to help the CPU with # crunching before on the PC front). It'd be nice if it was like the PS3 where the 8 cores aren't necessarily specialized.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

You also have to take into consideration that video cards and dsps are designed to crunch the problems they face much better than a normal processor. Highly parallel tasks are easier for a GPU than a CPU, the Nexus One isn't as able to make up for the lack of a GPU just with raw CPU as the two problems are very different.

We all remember the days of software rendering games; The CPU did a horrible job of it, and then we got GPUs, and life changed...! (for the better)

Also I have to say, I don't consider something "Linux" just because it has a Linux kernel. There is a certain familiarity to working with a standard (or even slightly nonstandard) Linux system that is comforting. Kind-of like it's a home you once lived in but aren't familiar with anymore.

From what I read about Android's setup it sounds like some crazy Hostel I wouldn't want to enter.

tl;dr I looked at the Nexus one ad today and looked at the specs and was not impressed. Even if it was more powerful it doesn't have all the nifty features that I enjoy about the n900.

There are people who buy phones to be phones and people who buy them to be computers now. N900 users are the type of people who like a little phone with their computer, and not the other way around.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t7g For This Useful Post:
Read the entire thread... exciting stuff.

Take a break and enjoy what the future will really look like as seen from 2007.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKchgm9Nslk

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Let me say, up front, that I'm an Android fan. I have a G1, and only barely miss my N810 (mostly only due to the display size).

I still love Maemo (or I wouldn't still be here), and recognize that it has its advantages (I wish Android gave me access to shell level utilities, without jailbreaking, and had Maemo's level of open-ness, for things like adding a Mifi-like app), but I don't consider the N900 to be compelling enough for me to give up my G1 just yet.

So ... N900 vs Nexus One.

I'd go with the N900. The keyboard alone makes that decision for me.

However ... there was an article yesterday where a Google Exec let loose a comment about a "Nexus One Pro" that would have more battery, "world phone" connectivity, and ... a keyboard.

So, a hypothetical Nexus One Pro vs N900? I'd go with the Pro, almost certainly. Though, the Inbrics M1 looks interesting (only has a 3.7" screen, though).

But, the first one (Nokia and Maemo vs Google Android) to get a 4.1" 800x480+ screen, physical keyboard (5 row preferred), T-Mobile USA 3G, and solid battery life, and maybe a tilt screen ... that's who I'd upgrade to, from my G1. But, based on what's actually out there right now, I wont be upgrading my G1 any time soon.

I have tried ovi map 3.0 and didnt work for me . Ovi 1 sucks !! and no google maps????
i was so excited to get my n900 and use navigation ,internet , phone etc... but everything had some problem... it was woow and also disappinted. personelly i didnt love it and return my n900 ... its better to wait little longer and get something works in many way better....
no google maps , no ovi 3.0 map (ovi 1.0 doesnt do anything just driving crazy ) , w/tmobile poor signal cant do anything (fort myers , florida)... is there fm transmitter ?? yes but doesnt transmit well... get a fm transmitter for $20 better than n900.... thick like computer and battery life is poor... touchscreen is okay but still not comparable to iphone .... trying to return it and delete all the data but didnt have factory resetting... dont pay for something is not complete... there is more bad stuff about it ... you will see when you pay it and use it.
i just returned my n900 and using n95 .. still happy

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Originally Posted by c0rt3x View Post
Nokia N900 vs Google Nexus One comparison

Flash: 32GB vs 512MB ( Expandable to 32GB micro sdhc )
Virtual memory: 768MB ( 256mb dedicated-1GB total ) vs 512MB ( 512 dedicated -1GB total - faster )
Flash: Dual-LED vs Single-LED
HSDPA: 10.2Mpbs vs 7.2Mpbs
SoC: OMAP3 ( ARM 600mhz ) vs Snapdragon 8250 ( 1GHZ processor - obviously faster )

Correct me if I'm "wrong", but what's so special about the Nexus? Even Moto Droid, Sammy Omnia HD and HTC HD2 are all better hardware wise.
When posting facts be sure to post ALL ( Added info for you ) of the info not just portions because someone will call ******** on it. We all love the phone, but posting inaccurate/misleading information is just unnecessary.

-Socrates 469 BC

Without getting into the whole "vs" debate:

Nokia N900 vs Google Nexus One comparison
Flash: 32GB vs 512MB ( Expandable to 32GB micro sdhc )

1. The correct statement would be 32Gb built in, expandable with ADDITIONAL 32Gb - vs - 512Mb built in, 4Gb included and expandable with 32Gb.

2. A 32Gb card costs almost 1/5 of the price of Nexus One. And is NOT included with the Nexus One (while N900 has its 32gb AND that same expandable slot, out of the box).

It is obvious he was referring to the built-in, out of the box memory. Not expandable. I mean, why not say that both devices have unlimited memory? Just carry enough memory cards in your pocket and there you go!

Virtual memory: 768MB ( 256mb dedicated-1GB total ) vs 512MB ( 512 dedicated -1GB total - faster )

I don't think N1 can use its ROM as virtual memory (correct me if I'm wrong). I think its more like 256 RAM + 768 virtual memory vs 512Mb RAM, period. Sure, RAM is faster than virtual memory, but what happens when you run out of it?

SoC: OMAP3 ( ARM 600mhz ) vs Snapdragon 8250 ( 1GHZ processor - obviously faster )

And my old Pentium 4 @ 3Ghz is obviously faster than my current Core 2 Quad @ 2.4Ghz

I'm not saying Snapdragon isn't faster - I don't know. But it isn't so obvious as you put it as Snapdragon vs OMAP3 is kinda like Single Core vs Dual Core. Not really, but still - you can't measure performance by Mhz alone.

All in all, both devices have comparable hardware. I think it comes to Android vs Maemo rather than Nexus One vs N900 - but all that has been said on these forums many times before.

Last edited by ivanzorkic; 2010-01-13 at 01:40.