Addison, now that I've got it working I can pay some closer attention to tweaking the functionality. Can you give me some details on your use of Modest and Tear? I haven't tried either...am I right in thinking you use Tear to just go directly to the GV page and work from there?

Do you use the OEM Nokia app for calls? And how about SMS? I've been using DialCentral for texting, which I do a lot of, but at the moment it's locking up because I can't see how to change the GV password which I had to do as part of the SIP setup. DialCentral says I can't access settings offline but I can't get online to change the settings!

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Ever hear of just asking one question at a time? *lol*

Give me a few minutes while I get on my computer to type up a few responses for you.

"Ever hear of just asking one question at a time? *lol*"

Now where's the fun in that?

And just think, your work will be immortal as you post it here for the benefit of everyone in the future who wants to rig up their n810s as phones. Fame is such a power trip.

*lol*

Okay.

So Modest is the default email app for the tablet.

Applications --> Communication --> Email

I have all of my text messages forwarded to my Gmail account and I also use IMAP.

This can be found under "Settings" in Gmail.com.... "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" .

With Modest, the lowest setting to have it scan for new messages is once every 5 minutes.

I have a hack where I have it scan once every minute. If you would like this, I can upload it to you.

There's also an app called Claws Mail that you can install which I've heard good things about but have yet to try it.

I prefer this way better since it will even give you a ring tone which is something DialCentral cannot do.

In usr/share/sounds/

I changed ui-new_email to this sound instead
http://home.comcast.net/~jdeshon2/wa...s/jad0022a.wav

I also deleted the two sound files that are used for opening and closing a new window since those were somewhat annoying.

This only works if you go to Applications --> Control panel --> Sounds --> System sounds--> Level 1 or Level 2

And yeah, I use Tear.

Menu --> Tools --> Options --> Zoom_step --> string 0.8.

So when I go to google.com/voice/m in Tear, I just click on the Zoom in key just once.

To me, this is super zippy and I think it's probably the best and quickest way to keep in touch with others.

Those commercials you see on TV, about how that was so 24 seconds ago, yeah, that would be us. *lol*

But hey, it's all free so how can we lose?

Last edited by Addison; 2012-03-17 at 23:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Sweet. Thanks.

I will load up the stuff you mention and see what I can do with it. Again, appreciate all your help.

Also, with the setup I have, you can subscribe to this thread and receive an instant notification if anyone posts in here.

This way, you don't have to constantly check the forums on this site.

Originally Posted by simonics View Post
You won't get spammed by me--one e-mail every three or four months isn't too bad, is it? If you love the Google Voice Gateway, donations are accepted to offset operating costs.
I'm sure they wouldn't mind one Viiiiiaaaagra spam per week to help offset the costs for their free service.

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Also, with the setup I have, you can subscribe to this thread and receive an instant notification if anyone posts in here.
Do you know how to auto-subscribe to threads you post in? Manually subscribing to every thread is a pain.

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Menu --> Tools --> Options --> Zoom_step --> string 0.8.
An 80% zoom step would make Tear useless for other pages that require zoom.

The Following User Says Thank You to auouymous For This Useful Post:
An 80% zoom step would make Tear useless for other pages that require zoom.
I usually have two Tear browsers open at a time.

The super zoom one for Google Voice or YouTube mobile sites and another one at normal 100% for everything else.

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Just recently purchased Nokia N810

(yes i'm a bit behind the times, and have no clue on Linux OS)

But i'm glad i found this thread... VOIP working great now!

I've tried Callcentric, Express Talk, with no success.

This with GV works like a charm!

Thanks for this!

Just a couple of things to add.

If you're not receiving incoming calls, simply go here and do the following:

https://www.google.com/voice?ui=desktop#phones

Click on "Google Chat".

This worked for me.

As for contacts on your tablet, make the images exactly 384 x 384 pixels in size if you don't want the pictures distorted.

Also, you might want to change the notification graphics on your tablet since they are a gaudy looking eyesore.