Cheerio dear friends of Maemo.

Thread title might be strange but I have no idea how to explain in short.

My issue:

My N900 has the rather common "Communication not possible & deactivated" malfuction. This seems to be unfixable, but what bothers me is something else:

Everytime I boot Maemo it takes quite long. Then I have to click once (on the error), wait for another minute and click again on the error before I can access the desktop.

Is there a way to stop Maemo from trying to access the modem when starting up? I'm quite at home in Linux I just have no knowledge about Maemo. I have no issues in recompiling the kernel or whatever is neccessary to have Maemo booting again all by itself without nagging.

Thanks for any ideas and your input

power button> offline mode ?

The Following User Says Thank You to nkirk For This Useful Post:
Hi,

this had been my first guess as well but

1) Airplane deactivates or enables everything. I could not (easily) figure out how to have bluetooth (need that) enabled and GSM/3G disabled.

2) and more important: it does not stop Meamo trying to access the modem at boottime. I get the same errors at boottime with airplane mode activated...

It might be enough to blacklist the modules responsible, but there are so many I would prefer getting a hint instead of just trial and error

Edit: Blacklisting the obvious "phonet" module does not help.

Last edited by hottex; 2012-06-15 at 12:05.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the link. This looks useful. However it does not solve my issue, as even Flight-Mode does not stop the System from sending me the errors.

Well...it kind of changes the behaviour:

Flight mode on reboot leads to:

Booting
Stop: "Should I disable Flight mode"? ---- No
Booting
Stop: Errormessage
Boot
Maemo ready.

Which is different, but not better

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
But that still wouldn't solve his problem of the boot process being delayed (which is quite curious BTW).

Well, if your SIM card is not being recognized properly.. wouldn't it be a good idea to just remove it? (wlan and bluetooh will still work, i.e. built-in "tablet mode").

Otherwise you might have to blacklist a bunch of modules as well as disable a number of services being started during boot.

Having no experience for this particular task, I cannot help you more. I'm about to receive my third N900 (thanks @Estel , and I'm not buying a 3rd SIM card, so I might just try to see if I can uninstall/deactivate everything related to the SIM card.. even though it's obviously not necessary because there won't be one , but just for the fvck^H^Hn of it it might be an interesting exercise

If I do manage to get some useful information I'll post it here.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
http://maemo.org/packages/view/advan...face-switcher/ similar type of application, you may try it out and see if it helps at all, I doubt though as the modem modules will be loaded at boot up and the error might still be visible befor any 3rd party app disables/unloads it.

/nkirk

The Following User Says Thank You to nkirk For This Useful Post:
It seems that blacklisting Phonet wasn't such a good idea. I cannot boot anymore after doing it properly (didn't work the time I mentioned above). That Amiga-Style error is cute though.

Strangely it also f*ed up my Nitdroid-Installation. oooh well.

I'll be back to report when the system runs again

The Following User Says Thank You to hottex For This Useful Post:
The software solutions I found did not help, the system still tries to talk with the modem at boot. I accidently (was cheaper than I bid) bought another faulty N900 and swapped the mainboard. Now I have one perfectly working and one that is broken on multiple levels

The Following User Says Thank You to hottex For This Useful Post: