Notices

Here's a concept I just finished. Got home from work today and I got this idea from nowhere about having Mac-like phonebook at the bottom that can also have all your apps in it aswell.

The idea, I guess, is to make the home screen a sort of all-screen rather than just a place to put widgets. I find that I'm forced to click several times on many different things on the N900, having something like this would be awesome.

What do you guys think? I'm really finding designing UI's for phones and smaller devices alot of fun lately. Anyone here that can actually compile a UI for Maemo 5 (or upcoming Meego) is very very welcome to contact me at md@dreamhack.se for further business partnership into great glory and success!

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mulleboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Atlanta
I would change my thoughts about the N900 if I had this UI

what you painted in your photoshop is: a dock. whats that fullscreen thing about?
you have a complete(full) screen to use.

Originally Posted by Mulleboy View Post
The idea, I guess, is to make the home screen a sort of all-screen rather than just a place to put widgets. I find that I'm forced to click several times on many different things on the N900, having something like this would be awesome.

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
this would rather be more useful than having 4 homescreens.

Originally Posted by lunat View Post
what you painted in your photoshop is: a dock. whats that fullscreen thing about?
you have a complete(full) screen to use.
There has to be some emtpy space where the user can put his or her own widgets. I guess my idea with the dock was that the homescreen would be scrollable (also be able to function in portrait mode).

By having a scrollable homescreen I mean a small increment in where the dock can hide when inactive, but when the user decides to use it, it pops up and moves everything a bit upwards along with it, so that the widgets the user have placed themselves on the homescreen follow along to prevent anything covering up something else. Some widgets would probably be obscured by the top-header bar but that's something that's tolerable (especially since the focus isn't on the homescreen widgets when using the dock)

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Buzz lightyear..........ummmmmmmm....

matchbox default behavior. its stacked and tiled.
EDIT:
http://matchbox-project.org/document...s/ar01s04.html
[QUOTE=Mulleboy;899472

By having a scrollable homescreen I mean a small increment in where the dock can hide when inactive, but when the user decides to use it, it pops up and moves everything a bit upwards along with it, so that the widgets the user have placed themselves on the homescreen follow along to prevent anything covering up something else. Some widgets would probably be obscured by the top-header bar but that's something that's tolerable (especially since the focus isn't on the homescreen widgets when using the dock)[/QUOTE]

Last edited by lunat; 2010-12-18 at 17:13.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
i dont think maemo is open enough to accomplish the status bar tweaks. The scrolling launcher at the bottom should be possible with QtQuick I think. It should, however, be fully doable in meego.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Last edited by cfh11; 2010-12-18 at 17:10.

Mulleboy

I really like your idea.

Maybe you should send a word to CepiPerez.

He is an excellent programmer author of "filebox" and "homescreen dockbar" among other applications.

I think that "homescreen dockbar" could be upgraded to meet your idea - a scrollable (a la Mac) dockbar with apps or contacts shortcuts, with vertical or horizontal orientation and portrait landscape aware.

That would be really nice !

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sacal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by ammyt View Post
this would rather be more useful than having 4 homescreens.
It happens that having nine homescreens, as I do (although perhaps only 1 is really the home screen) is quite useful.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post: