After reading about needing to 'jailbreak' Android phones,
http://www.salon.com/technology/dan_...nes/index.html

Recognizing that in this current moment
Apple Jailbreak is not the same "as Rooting" Android
(but I cannot help but imagine the ever-rushing fingers of
kleptocacies around the world will change that fact eventually.)
I wondered if there was ever a need to jailbreak the n900.

Did anyone get an n900 phone locked into or out of some service?

Looks like only the competitor phones get to be jailbroken...

But I do see the n900 can be used to jailbreak other gear.

Back to the original question though -
if the n900 does not need to be jailbreak,
does that mean it it impossible to jailbreak?

Is there any competition in the "no need to jailbreak" market?

My take is that the n900 is simply the only phone in existence that
can be completely reworked from the cli
(including just plunking a spanking different OS into it,
but did I miss something?
We do this all the time with computers (I have an old Aigo thingy
that has been reflashed so many times it is dizzy)
But not with handphones.

And what are the odds Meego units will need jailbreak kits?

none, I hope - as long as we get them from retailers instead of
locked into some carrier feeding pipe.

These are very important questions for consumers like myself.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post

If you use the search, there is some discussion about DRM in the next Nokia device or next Maemo version (or now: MeeGo version). That is just discussion though, and before judging, read into it.

Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
I wondered if there was ever a need to jailbreak the n900.
There can't be a need for something that doesn't exist.

Did anyone get an n900 phone locked into or out of some service?
Not even the N900s sold by Vodaphone were locked in any way.

Looks like only the competitor phones get to be jailbroken...
This isn't something you should be upset about.

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume English is not your first language. Obviously, if something does not need to be Jailbroken, whether it is possible to Jailbreak it is an entirely moot question.

Is there any competition in the "no need to jailbreak" market?

My take is that the n900 is simply the only phone in existence that
can be completely reworked from the cli
(including just plunking a spanking different OS into it,
but did I miss something?
The Nexus One can be unlocked via the bootloader, which is pretty much along the lines of using the flasher with the --enable-rd-mode flag. Not as nice as the rootsh package, but still possible.

Depends on the retailer, and the handset vendor. If Nokia sticks with what they've said, you won't need to Jailbreak anything you buy from them. If you go through other vendors, you may. If you go through a carrier, who knows (you probably will.)

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
You can't Jailbreak the N900 but the N900 can Jailbreak a PS3

The Following User Says Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume English is not your first language. Obviously, if something does not need to be Jailbroken, whether it is possible to Jailbreak it is an entirely moot question.
I took this as an entirely valid question: If some company were to come out with a locked version of the N900, would it be possible to jailbreak it?
The answer is "yes". With the N900, it doesn't matter what sort of OS locks are on it, as it can be reflashed to the default OS in about 10 minutes.
It would be just about impossible to "lock" the N900 in any way, other than requiring some piece of software to run on some specific network, in which case you'd have a choice of "unlocked, but only if you don't want to use network x", or "locked if you are using network x"
That is, unless someone managed to reverse-engineer whatever bit of code had to be run to connect.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Not even the N900s sold by Vodaphone were locked in any way.
Vodafone. Big corporation. Vodafone where? Here they don't even sell Nokia N900.

Depends on the retailer, and the handset vendor. If Nokia sticks with what they've said, you won't need to Jailbreak anything you buy from them. If you go through other vendors, you may. If you go through a carrier, who knows (you probably will.)
Ehm, thats not what I've read. What I read (in more tactical words) is that there will be subsidized phones, and that some here won't like that. Subsidized phones are simlocked (by definition) and may be jailed. Harmattan is expected to support the latter.

Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
I took this as an entirely valid question: If some company were to come out with a locked version of the N900, would it be possible to jailbreak it?
Sure, but no such device exists.

The answer is "yes". With the N900, it doesn't matter what sort of OS locks are on it, as it can be reflashed to the default OS in about 10 minutes.
And in such a case the device isn't really locked and doesn't need to be Jailbroken, simply reflashed. Jailbreaking/rooting involve exploiting the device in such a way that you are granted root access. Very different processes.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Vodafone. Big corporation. Vodafone where? Here they don't even sell Nokia N900.
Ah yes. Anyway, they did in the UK.

Ehm, thats not what I've read. What I read (in more tactical words) is that there will be subsidized phones, and that some here won't like that. Subsidized phones are simlocked (by definition) and may be jailed. Harmattan is expected to support the latter.
Like I said, depends on the retailer and the handset vendor. If I go and buy via Newegg, like I did with my N900, I expect no locks whatsoever. If I'm stupid and buy a subsidized handset from AT&T, or a Motorola device from anywhere, I'm probably up sh*t creek. Like I said in another thread, I'll only buy my handsets "direct" from the vendor, and only from companies that don't put their stupid branding above my ownership of the device.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
what about the modem part? It is closed isn't it?
...just theoretical speculation how sim lock could be done... But it doesn't affect to other system much (modem online vs modem offline) or am I wrong?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
It would be just about impossible to "lock" the N900 in any way, other than requiring some piece of software to run on some specific network, in which case you'd have a choice of "unlocked, but only if you don't want to use network x", or "locked if you are using network x"
That is, unless someone managed to reverse-engineer whatever bit of code had to be run to connect.
It is because there were...

In some markets, N900's did not have access to the FM Transmitter from within that countries firmware. This didn't last long though. >> http://maemo.org/packages/source/vie...mtx-faker/0.2/

If all goes as planned Pinky, MeeGo will rule the world.

...And as a result it will be on many devices that won't necessarily have the need to expose the user to all features. So yes, these MeeGo flavors will need to be "jailbroken" or modified if you want more.

Think, running MPlayer on a TomTom PNA...

MeeGo will also allow distributors to do with it pretty much as they wish so carriers or even different car models from the same manufacturer can have different feature sets. If you want the on board computer in your 328i to have the same features as your dads 760Li it may also have to be "modified"...

But don't worry, I'm sure there will be at least one fellow on the East Side of London who will do it for you rather quickly and for a fee commensurate to your application and his abilities.

SLN member # 009

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
what about the modem part? It is closed isn't it?
...just theoretical speculation how sim lock could be done... But it doesn't affect to other system much (modem online vs modem offline) or am I wrong?
Sim locks are done in the baseband, yes. This is why jailbreaks/roots almost always come before a sim unlock, if the sim unlock ever comes.