Closed Thread
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
I think HiFo board reputation and legality got tainted/corrupted by all the unfortunate events during last few weeks, and it's strongly advisable that HiFo board seeks for new confirmation by community, aka re-elections, to gain a strong position again in representing community to other parties. Same time we should sort this HiFo council thing and fix the bylaws by some amendment or executive regulations which the community would have to endorse during next election.
Community council elections will start in three weeks and I strongly suggest to ponder using this opportunity for parallel HiFo elections.

my 2 personal Eurocents
/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
With my Community Council hat on, I too am in favor of both bodies re-election. If I am wrong and board is acting in the best interest of the community, no harm done as election will prove one way or another.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Ok, I'm running for Office. Where do I sign?

You can see me as a Arnold Schwarzenegger type of politician.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
By this, I'm assuming you mean working with groups like Jolla. You've worded it poorly enough that community ablaze, screaming about HiFo separating from the community.

Yes and no. The mission of the Hildon "Foundation is to promote and progress the future availability of Maemo® derived or inspired open source software, and related toolkits, for mobile devices." That's from section II of the ByLaws. While it's not limited to strictly the project of keeping maemo.org alive, the key focus is clearly to keep that infrastructure alive. Right now that's maemo.org.

Again, your poor choice of wording is leading others to believe that you are for drifting off and away from maemo.org.
So HiFo failed for how long? 5 months? 6? To appoint a proper HiFo council? That kinda sounds pretty odd.
Also while HiFo maybe isn't limited to mere maemo.org stewardship for obvious reasons of nobody but God knows the future, it's still damn sure HiFo's primary and most noble duty to take care about maemo (incl maemo6 aka meego) interests, and nobody planned to create a HiFo entity to supervise and reign maemo, decide on maemo's future, or move maemo elsewhere or redefine what maemo means. Any such stuff gets decided by every single member of maemo community, nobody else!
For me personally, there's no diminution of maemo.org. My god I just spent two hours on IRC yesterday all about maemo.org. But I do think about the future as well, and would love to see for example an updated OSS for modern devices having the same form factor as N8x0/N900.

As for the Board, they have probably spent 95% of their time to date on maemo.org. And that includes paying attention to having maemo.org remain pretty much the way it always has been. So that's why there hasn't been much attention paid to other stuff.

Your sock puppet has two more days, then you're going to have to hold an election anyway. If you had a shred of self-respect, or any respect for the maemo community, there would be a Hildon Foundation election whether or not your designated FOSS politician accepts a spot overseeing a Foundation he cares nothing about.

Originally Posted by stenny View Post
Your sock puppet has two more days, then you're going to have to hold an election anyway. If you had a shred of self-respect, or any respect for the maemo community, there would be a Hildon Foundation election whether or not your designated FOSS politician accepts a spot overseeing a Foundation he cares nothing about.
Just one point: this condition about >7 days already kicked in with woody accepting his appointment not in time of 7 days after ivan resigned. ->re-election. No matter what. I really had preferred Rob going that reasonable step without pointing him at the § stuff, rather he'd appreciate that it's needed for restoring damaged reputation of HiFo.

cheers
jOERG

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
I plan on writing up a letter introducing myself and my reasons for accepting the appointment, which were based 100% on helping the community and the foundation and in reply to a post on another mailing list which asked for help.

However, before I do (since I want to spend some time on the letter, since it may be my only opportunity to do so), I wanted to respond to this "FOSS politician" crack.

Next time you respond to a thread, it would be useful and more powerful to your argument if you did research and obtained "facts". I am a developer, a hacker, and have been hacking FOSS for decades. Whatever "organizational" or "political" roles I may have, are due to my activities as a coder. As far as caring nothing about HiFo, I at least agreed to help, which seems more than many other people did, based on the fact that the directors felt the need to go outside the community to seek help and guidance.

Originally Posted by stenny View Post

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Jimjag For This Useful Post:
Hi Jim!
Welcome! :-) Looking forward to your letter. Please also feel invited to Friday's public council meetings (IRC:freenode.net #maemo-meeting 1800UTC) where we could chat in a more direct and less formal manner to learn to know each other.
Please excuse possibly harsh words in your direction in some posts here, community is a bit upset about the perceived fact that HiFo hasn't asked loud enough for volunteers here and next door in maemo community channels, at least that seems to be the reason why there's a generally tensioned mood in community at the moment.
Quite obviously you're not the one to blame for any of that, if there was something to blame to anybody. Again, welcome on board and many thanks for your help. much appreciated :-)
Looking forward to meet you on IRC.

cheers
jOERG

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Jimjag View Post
I plan on writing up a letter introducing myself and my reasons for accepting the appointment, which were based 100% on helping the community and the foundation and in reply to a post on another mailing list which asked for help.

However, before I do (since I want to spend some time on the letter, since it may be my only opportunity to do so), I wanted to respond to this "FOSS politician" crack.

Next time you respond to a thread, it would be useful and more powerful to your argument if you did research and obtained "facts". I am a developer, a hacker, and have been hacking FOSS for decades. Whatever "organizational" or "political" roles I may have, are due to my activities as a coder. As far as caring nothing about HiFo, I at least agreed to help, which seems more than many other people did, based on the fact that the directors felt the need to go outside the community to seek help and guidance.
Bravo, nice first post. Next time you respond to a thread try to be less arrogant. It is your duty to represent yourself to the community which asks perfectly valid questions. Whether you like the tone of some of the posts is irrelevant, as (IIRC) there was nothing personal against you. Of course that's in case the fact you are unknown for the most of the community doesn't insult you.

Despite that you may find the above arrogant too, I would like to give you my warm welcome aboard. I'd rather take all this "drama" as a miscommunication, not as bad intentions. Time will tell.

P.S.
BTW I am developer with more than 20 years of coding experience too.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

Last edited by freemangordon; 2013-03-10 at 16:38.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jimjag View Post

welcome Jim!

thank you for coming forward and considering giving some of your time for Maemo.org.
as you already noticed the exchanges around here get very quickly (over-)heated and arguments get thrown around which are not always fair or even truthful.
i hope that you won't mind being a candidate for election to the next Hildon Foundation Board of Directors rather then "invited" into the (barely) existing one.
considering your record of OSS contributions i believe you would be a gain for our community but i'm still wondering what leads you our way?
  • pure Saint Bernard soul, rescuing a community that seems to lose itself in an administrative and technical blizzard?
  • the challenge of a platform you (probably) never heard of before?
  • ???

feel free to answer in your letter.

with best regards,
mr.c.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
board