Active Topics

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
I am wondering whether one could attach some USB 3G or 4G modem to the Jolla phone to make it work in situations where one needs it in the US. Does anyone know?
Some folks have mentioned using a wifi hotspot with the Jolla phone.
At one point I was considering getting a tablet with LTE and tethering off that. So I would use a combo tablet and jolla phone but at this point I don't think the jolla phone, despite really liking some of its features, is far enough for me to use as a daily drive. Plus I really need a bigger screen for browsing. Guess I've been spoiled by the GN3. Hopefully the next Jolla phone will be better compatible with US providers.

Originally Posted by mscion View Post
lol. I won't say this too loudly as you never know who is listening but there is a second conspiracy theory being quietly discussed amongst those members of the linux underground here in the US about the surprising absence of officially supported devices that behave as a proper linux distribution (i.e. N9 and Jolla phone)...
Well supposedly T-Mobile and perhaps Verizon will official support Ubuntu phone in the US later this year.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I'll believe that when I see it, some massive co's have struggled to get those 2 US carriers on-board...
Canonical's a minnow compared to any of them, Mark will have spun some amazing crap if he's managed that.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I'll believe that when I see it, some massive co's have struggled to get those 2 US carriers on-board...
Canonical's a minnow compared to any of them, Mark will have spun some amazing crap if he's managed that.
Mark has been in space. Do I have to say more?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Nevermind, didnt notice that :P

Last edited by mrk88; 2014-09-09 at 05:42.

Originally Posted by mrk88 View Post
So 3G on Jolla wont work on a Tmobile network ?
there is no LTE in north america that will work on jolla, and no 3g in the united states. {canada is maybe possible now with 3g, but probably not}

The Following User Says Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Why not just try Sailfish on another device like a Nexus 4/5? At least then you will get 3G data. I'm dual booting a custom Android build (based on CM11) and Sailfish on my Nexus 5. So far it has been working out pretty well!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Demati For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Demati View Post
Why not just try Sailfish on another device like a Nexus 4/5? At least then you will get 3G data. I'm dual booting a custom Android build (based on CM11) and Sailfish on my Nexus 5. So far it has been working out pretty well!
Because so far as far as I know Sailfish does not support all major hardware of any phone but the Jolla. For example the camera does not work on your Nexus. Unless the wiki is out of date that is. I'm hoping eventually one can make calls, use GPS, bluetooth and take pictures.

How are upgrades, no OTA upgrades I suspect do you lose any settings etc. when you flash?

Last edited by salyavin; 2014-10-24 at 02:58.

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by salyavin View Post
Because so far as far as I know Sailfish does not support all major hardware of any phone but the Jolla. For example the camera does not work on your Nexus. Unless the wiki is out of date that is. I'm hoping eventually one can make calls, use GPS, bluetooth and take pictures.

How are upgrades, no OTA upgrades I suspect do you lose any settings etc. when you flash?
That's why he said "TRY it out". You dual-boot for a reason. When you're done playing with Sailfish, you can boot back into Android. If you like Sailfish, then updates will come and improve the experience on Nexus.

Towards end of November I'll be traveling to the US. In case there's someone being interested in a Jolla phone, I could order one and bring it with me + send it from within US. Price would be €281.45 + delivery cost + 8% Swiss tax (excl. delivery costs in US). In case you have a discount code, that can be used as well of course.

If there's interest and/or you want to know why I would even do something like that ;-) contact me via private message (or here if necessary).

Last edited by caprico; 2014-10-25 at 11:48.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to caprico For This Useful Post: