Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Screw it... I'll have a Captivate by tomorrow.
Didja get it? Didja didja didja??

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Didja get it? Didja didja didja?
Yes I did. So far, loving it. Gotta get used to the differences in workflow. But seriously... love it.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I got mine (galaxy s i9000) a week ago. So far I have mixed feelings.

1. Galaxy S is much easier to use in portrait mode, is much smoother in terms of transitions and is better integrated with a better GUI and more apps.

on the other hand...

I can't find an app to play all internet radio stations like I do with the N900.

I can't zoom properly into my photos of the photo gallery. It downsizes the images and when you zoom it just zooms into the dwonsized photo, making storing 10mp photos useless.

There is no equivalent "battery-eye" app. Not sure why!

No decent emulators! No mame, no dosbox.

No decent task manager.

No root without invalidating the waranty.

Sorry for piggybacking on this thread, I had no idea where to post this.

It is a very good phone none the less.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
PSXDroid, and other emulators exist for Android. You'd probably be better off looking at sideloading via Sideloading Wonder Machine.

I've root my machine already - you can unroot or reset and unlike the Apple iPhone, nobody will be any wiser. I'm also running TigerArcade for Neo Geo games... there's NESoid, GameBoid, Gensoid, Mojo GBA... among others - Android Arcade Emulator included. So emulators are all over man. I do admit that the loss of dosbox is a bummer, but it's coming along... slowly.

I'm still learning, but so far the ability to root, install whatever I wish, what not feels like I am indeed a level or two higher than the N900, but it's not too uncomfortable for me - it's a lot closer to being in control than say the iPhone.

I'm not too big into internet Radio, so I've no clues how to answer that past my like of Pandora. Search around... I'm sure you'll find a lot of alternatives that fit your past likes/dislikes more closely. I'm still in "replace the iPhone" mode, and loving the fact that I don't have to use it any more.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I'm not too big into internet Radio, so I've no clues how to answer that past my like of Pandora.
Well... http://www.pandora.com/android I'm finding Android has very serious support, with nearly all major apps now being available in iOS and Android form.

I've gone for the HTC Desire, Orange finally got some stock, and reports of dodgy GPS on the Samsung put me off. That and the build quality.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cadabena For This Useful Post:
Getting the i9000 too, PSX is really ahead of us as far as android goes.

Played a lot with it today @ the store and I have to admit the OS is kinda clumsy... I mostly miss the gesture of "tapping outside the screen". It relies so much on back button and multitasking is just like symbian.

The "recent" apps is such a nuisance, I don't ever know what's running and can't close it without diggig for the task manager that's deep in settings.

Have you guys found a decent task manager?

Last edited by Bec; 2010-08-09 at 10:06. Reason: Yes, Flash 10.1 on iPhone was the last drop!

Thanks gerbick

I have tried every little app re internet radio but nothing comes close to the stock media player of N900 (i am listening to sports so pandora won't work for me I think).

I rooted my phone today in order to run titanium backup as it seems to be the only backup that works properly.

For some reason I am experiencing a lot of lag so I am about to do a hard reset once the backup finishes.

The web browser is kinda basic too. I wish I had the N900 browser on this phone. I installed opera mini but that too is not as good or fast as microb. I guess when froyo comes out it won't be that bad.

Also on a positive note... swype typing = love!!!

Last edited by yorg; 2010-08-09 at 14:06.

Originally Posted by Bec View Post
Getting the i9000 too, PSX is really ahead of us as far as android goes.

Played a lot with it today @ the store and I have to admit the OS is kinda clumsy... I mostly miss the gesture of "tapping outside the screen". It relies so much on back button and multitasking is just like symbian.

The "recent" apps is such a nuisance, I don't ever know what's running and can't close it without diggig for the task manager that's deep in settings.

I am using the Advanced Task Killer Free version

It is ok for a free app

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yorg For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bec View Post

Try getting "Advanced Task Killer" (the one with the green robot holding a blue X), it's mainly a good housekeeping app but it also lets you manage multitasking VERY well and lets you switch to and properly close apps straight from the status bar.

Originally Posted by yorg View Post
I have tried every little app re internet radio but nothing comes close to the stock media player of N900 (i am listening to sports so pandora won't work for me I think).
There's actually quite a LOT of good streaming radios. My two personal favorites are "XiiaLive Lite [DroidLive]" (it's free--and faaaar better than the N900's streaming player... PLUS it lets me search for stations, even commercial stations... I use it a lot to listen to a few AM talk stations I like to listen to) and the other is "Scanner Radio" (available as free-with-ads or paid-without-ads) to listen to police/fire/EMS scanners (it also lets me search--it even lets me use my GPS to auto-located the scanner channels near me... bet the N900 apps aren't doing that).

Originally Posted by yorg View Post
The web browser is kinda basic too. I wish I had the N900 browser on this phone. I installed opera mini but that too is not as good or fast as microb. I guess when froyo comes out it won't be that bad.
I don't much care for the default browser either---I recommend downloading "Dolphin Browser" (Firefox for Android). It's based on the Gecko engine and so renders and works like Firefox... PLUS you can set the agent string so you can fool websites into thinking you're on a desktop PC or even iPhone, in addition to the Android agent string.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Also, if you haven't gotten it yet... my God!... go download "Wifi Analyzer" IMMEDIATELY. I loooove that app.

Tags
2nokia, android, face palm, opensource