Poll: Does your N800 have touchscreen sensivity issues?
Poll Options
Does your N800 have touchscreen sensivity issues?

I got it back today. Funny how it shipped on the same day that I sent a demanding inquiry to customer service via email.....

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
But I will repeat: ONLY send the stripped down device for repair. No battery. No back cover. No SD cards. Strip and ship! Trust me: they can troubleshoot without them, and if the device works without your own battery, then you know where the problem lay.
Hi Texrat,

It seems that this is not quite true for everywhere. In Switzerland the repair center has refused to receive my N800 if I don't provide them with the stylus, battery and battery cover. Actually, over the phone they asked me to bring to them the whole package!

What i did was to ask them to note in the receipt what they have received and i got all back.

Finally, I noticed on one of their papers describing this as the procedure to send any Nokia phone for repair and also warning that all data (numbers, photos etc) will be lost..

What i understand is that since the repairs are not handled by Nokia each center works with its own rules.

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
My N800 is for the last 3+ weeks in the nokia service.
I managed to get someone on the phone today and I was told that my "phone" (he actually repeated this several times in a 3 minute conversion) will need to have its screen exchanged and they are expecting the needed parts.
He concluded that they will need minimum 10 more days!
I finally got back my N800. They have exchanged the LCD, an operation that took them a little bit more than 1 month. Now there are two new problems..

1. the metallic cover is not sitting correctly and you see a wide space on the side of the zoom buttons. Actually you see the white plastic which is (probably) the cover of those buttons. If you hold the device with both of your hands you notice this cover moves inside a little and comes up again if you press diagonally on the other side (like floating). There are also some marks (not serious but ugly) from a tool (probably screwdriver) on the top side of the plastic around the cover.
It seems that they had no clue how to open properly the device and ****ed it up.

2. The new LCD is highly responsive. Great improvement even on the areas that i thought it didn't have a problem. Nevertheless, the right side has now a shadow! It is like if you are looking an LCD from an angle..

It is really sad the whole thing.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Hi Texrat,

It seems that this is not quite true for everywhere. In Switzerland the repair center has refused to receive my N800 if I don't provide them with the stylus, battery and battery cover. Actually, over the phone they asked me to bring to them the whole package!

What i did was to ask them to note in the receipt what they have received and i got all back.

Finally, I noticed on one of their papers describing this as the procedure to send any Nokia phone for repair and also warning that all data (numbers, photos etc) will be lost..

What i understand is that since the repairs are not handled by Nokia each center works with its own rules.
In the UK the instructions are to send only the device and for the owner to keep the battery/battery cover/memory/stylus. It seems strange for the Swiss to ask for the accessories that they should in theory have access to in the workshop.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
In the UK the instructions are to send only the device and for the owner to keep the battery/battery cover/memory/stylus.
I don't understand why so many people are arranging repairs under warranty, especially with all the problems being reported.

My N800's touchscreen is fine on the left, pretty bad on the right and requires a lot of pressure in the middle. Plus in the past week it's developed a burnt pixel, probably due to all the excess pressure.

I'm simply going to arrange a replacement with the retailer, under the UK Sales of Goods Act, which states goods must be of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose.

Should it develop a fault after 12 months I'll do the same again. I'm not aware of any special 12 month rule in consumer law. Remember, manufacturer warranties are in addition to our usual statutory consumer rights. Our sales contract is with the retailer not the manufacturer.

Couple of quotes from http://www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/fact...page38311.html

Q2. Do I only have rights for 30 (or some other figure) days after purchase?

No. Depending on circumstances, you might be too late to have all your money back after this time, but the trader will still be liable for any breaches of contract, such as the goods being faulty. In fact, the trader could be liable to compensate you for up to six years.

Q6. Is it true that I have to complain to the manufacturer?

No. You bought the goods from the trader, not the manufacturer, and the trader is liable for any breaches of contract (unless he was acting as the manufacturer's agent).

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Wirral, UK
... It seems that they had no clue how to open properly the device and ****ed it up. ...
It made me annoyed, just reading this. How can the authorised service centre allow a dumb technician touch our prescious devices without proper training! If there is a sign that I opened my own device even with the greatest care, I lose the warranty. I wonder what that technician will get for opening and damaging your device...

I would complain until my nose bleeds (or theirs)

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Hi Texrat,

That's disturbing to hear. The policy should be consistent regardless of locale. And I would personally hold firm on returning just the stripped down device, but that's me, and I'm a troublemaker.

They don't need the parts they're asking to be included. There's just no reason to send them.

I finally got back my N800. They have exchanged the LCD, an operation that took them a little bit more than 1 month. Now there are two new problems..

1. the metallic cover is not sitting correctly and you see a wide space on the side of the zoom buttons. Actually you see the white plastic which is (probably) the cover of those buttons. If you hold the device with both of your hands you notice this cover moves inside a little and comes up again if you press diagonally on the other side (like floating). There are also some marks (not serious but ugly) from a tool (probably screwdriver) on the top side of the plastic around the cover.
It seems that they had no clue how to open properly the device and ****ed it up.

2. The new LCD is highly responsive. Great improvement even on the areas that i thought it didn't have a problem. Nevertheless, the right side has now a shadow! It is like if you are looking an LCD from an angle..

It is really sad the whole thing.
Sounds like they did not replace the faceplate. I don't know specific policy on that one, but I'd like to think it would have been. Anyway, see my thread in Accessories here about how to get free extra faceplates. That one may be messed up.

And yes, very sad.

I have a design for a faceplate removal tool. I hope to get it to the right people soon.

Last edited by Texrat; 2007-05-21 at 05:30.

Great news!

I just upgraded to the new firmware (4.2007.26-8) and it seems to have sorted out the sensitivity problem on the right edge of the screen

Last edited by jrodin; 2007-07-06 at 14:47.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
That's excellent news jrodin! And bug [https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1069]#1069[/url] now confirms that the latest firmware should fix the touchscreen sensitivity issue, so perhaps with a little more communication from Nokia we could all have avoided shipping our devices back for repairs and simply waited a couple of months! Sigh.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
No more touchscreen issue with the new firmware. This was sorcery!