Active Topics

from what i see, the meego integrates into facebook very well. that's just the very killer app for conquering indonesian market. blackberries sells very well here because they get instant notification and the mail links directly to the facebook app, which is so nice. i dont know the statistics but i bet indonesian market is 5-big for nokia (shame for us who get along the day with facebook and do less work)

anyway, why unlike apple, nokia is sort of like a transparant company where everyone can see what it's doing? that's no good in business sense where competitors can copy the ideas.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by vins View Post
anyway, why unlike apple, nokia is sort of like a transparant company where everyone can see what it's doing? that's no good in business sense where competitors can copy the ideas.
Like those failures, Red Hat, Canonical and CollabNet. Stupid transparent companies. Will they never learn?

'stupid' best describes it. hahah

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
It's just always been Nokia's policy to be open about a lot of things.

But this here is a genuine leak, not Nokia letting everyone know what's been cookin'. Nokia is a gigantic company when comparing to, say Apple, so controlling a leak is a lot more difficult.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Finland / UK
Today's software market let it be mobile or PC, all UI's are copying and mimicking each other. The main thing is if Nokia can make its UI (I hate to use this word) intuitive.

From observing Android, WebOS and iOS the differences between these UI's are subtle, and non of the fore mentioned OS's are perfect, far from it. If Nokia can get an even balance of attractiveness and usability with Meego, and capitalize by getting right what its competitors have got wrong, it might be in for a chance to dominate again the smartphone market.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Like those failures, Red Hat, Canonical and CollabNet. Stupid transparent companies. Will they never learn?

are you trying to distract discussion for some intentional reason?

those all have very different business model compared to nokia. or are they making cellphones nowadays?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Originally Posted by michou View Post
Today's software market let it be mobile or PC, all UI's are copying and mimicking each other. The main thing is if Nokia can make its UI (I hate to use this word) intuitive.

From observing Android, WebOS and iOS the differences between these UI's are subtle, and non of the fore mentioned OS's are perfect, far from it. If Nokia can get an even balance of attractiveness and usability with Meego, and capitalize by getting right what its competitors have got wrong, it might be in for a chance to dominate again the smartphone market.
too many maybes and what-ifs

but I want nokia to prove me wrong! please

Posts: 219 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
I sure hope they release a Meego that has hardware specs that are comparable to competitors even after some time. No way Meego is going to catch others right from the start even if the phone and UI would be superior. Meego is missing the application and service portfolio that others already have, and it's going to take some time to get the community (yeah, the commercial one) behind Meego. On the other hand I'm kind of worried about the open source community, since Ovi Store might attract many developers that are currently doing their stuff open source.

If you do a proper device, you can sell it for a long time. Look what Apple does. Not even sure, whether it's proper device though.

And please market it properly. Show that you can do the stuff properly just using the device. You can download music, podcasts etc. Show for the travellers that you have offline maps with no need for roaming. There are special things, but they sure try keep the information hidden from the crowds.

Completely off-topic.

The Following User Says Thank You to naabi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 89 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by juahan View Post
I would say that this calendar-image is from tablet version, I can't see that small mobile screen would be able to accomodate that much information simultaniously.
I would beg to differ. When I opened the picture in portrait mode it fitted quite well to the screen. Seemed very usable IMHO.

Tags
aligatro == df