Active Topics

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Birmingham, UK
Originally Posted by leoniedelt View Post
btw, i like your pcam
the raw files are teh awesome!

i think its time for dual boot again! lets hope i can leave behind the flaming bcm43xx problems, my goodness that's sheer torture...

i still have homework to do for my course! i just cant leave this thing alone
well life is a lot easier on kubuntu, wrt getting things over to the N9. Oh this is a nice piece of equipment, and all the work done by the lovely developers makes this a superb Nokia.

I think i'm going to give my N8 to my brother. I cant ever see myself using it again, but he will love it. His E63 is a bit battered...

Quickie - i cant get facebook out of the feeds - i've turned everything off as far as I can tell, but its still there! it hasnt updated in a while, which is good, but still. Grr.

I have been playing with it all day long, but i've also charged it twice today - once overnight, once at 4pm...its down to 81% now. I have got a portable battery pack, but i really don't want to have to use it to get through one day... can i slow it down?

Last edited by leoniedelt; 2012-09-30 at 19:23.

Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ New Zealand
Generally after the PR upgrades the battery usage is increased for maybe a few hours(tracker or something like that) plus when people get a new phone they tend to play with it a lot more than later on when the novelty wears off a bit, so probably not so surprising about the initial battery usage.

One tip is finding a balance on how often feeds like facebook or anything else update with power consumption, plus use wifi over 3G when possible as its more efficient.

Go to settings - Notifications - Feeds on home screen to turn off facebook news feed (friends lame facebook apps get ridiculously annoying very quickly). There's a feeds option in Settings - Applications - Feeds as well.

Try navigating your N8 or any other phone for that matter after using your N9 for a week, they seem so old fashioned.

Yeah exactly - my N8 feels like a relic now, and its got CFW on it

Also the N9 looks like a million bucks out in the sunshine - the N8 is barely visible in the sun!

Its having the data on - if i turn it off until i want it, it will save battery. Its been unplugged for 2 1/2 hours now and i took six photos this morning, and its still on 96% - if i keep the data off, it'll save batt (and quids too).

Thanks so much everyone I'm hooked up with Inception and tweaks and all the apps i can handle - and it does EVERYTHING, and it is so integrated together!! And yet the alarm and text msg sounds are the same as the N8, so there's considerable familiarity...

Again, thank you to everyone for all of your help on this thread. Your input has been invaluable to me, and the welcome has been appreciated.

Hey, maybe i can tinker with writing a program for it now that I have kubuntu back (with no broadcom driver issues! way to go ubuntu for finally making wifi work easily and on the first try) .... first i need to do this week's homework: i've been procrastinating

The Following User Says Thank You to leoniedelt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 426 | Thanked: 374 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Middle East
^ yes! Write a program!

Portfolio: AKstudios : : graphics with attitude.
Flickr: AKstudios
Twitter: @flopjoke

@mohi2k7, my wife has an asus transformer prime and it works with my n9's hotspot feature after an update in ics (if my memory serves me right), or with a bit of tinkering prior to ics. it's been updated to jelly bean now, and hotspot's still working. so, if it doesn't work straight away, a little tinkering should get the job done.

@leoniedelt, welcome to the n9 family! glad you enjoy your new phone. as i mentioned above, you should be able to get your nexus 7 working with your n9's hotspot feature. just search around the net if it doesn't work straight away. xda is a good resource for that. =)

Originally Posted by mohi2k7 View Post
also since you already bought the n9 its abit late to say this but the hotspot feature dosent work with the nexus 7, its a fault with the android side.

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ london
[QUOTE=trobs29;1275009]@mohi2k7, my wife has an asus transformer prime and it works with my n9's hotspot feature after an update in ics (if my memory serves me right), or with a bit of tinkering prior to ics. it's been updated to jelly bean now, and hotspot's still working. so, if it doesn't work straight away, a little tinkering should get the job done.

I have been checking the xda forum on a regular basis and to simply to put it the there is no ad-hoc support in the jelly bean build for the nexus 7... the supposed WiFi fix doesn't work yet on the nexus 7 as the wpa_supplicant is incompatible, that allows the transformer prime to detect ad-hoc network... believe me its a pain... :-P

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
The only benefit as an user is a linux distro allows you to fix your phone if it enters MALF state (to enter this it meant you managed to screw it quite a bit)...Otherwise everything else works with 7 64-bit...
Oh I beg differ, tremendously. It's pretty easy to go MALF. Still worse come to worse, a reflash would solve everything. That's what I hate and love this phone the same time.

I flashed my n9 straight away without any issues, from windows. Next time I'll try it from kubuntu...

I can use bluevpn to use Bluetooth to get the nexus and n9 to work together, but so far jelly bean and adhoc wifis don't work together... I'm waiting for some xda dude to figure it out for me, they're brilliant over there too.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Nigeria
1st of all.. the 1st thing you should consider is nokia 808 is the only symbian still suported by nokia so youll have apps like whatsapp.. googleplus. and regular updates. on n9 itsa lot more exicting cuz half of us are developers and tho we know the wazzap/yappari /instago will be blocked..we have no fright ..the 808 has a badest *** camera. if u got the cash go for it.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by chiagn900 View Post
on n9 itsa lot more exicting cuz half of us are developers
Wow I didn't know that...

The Wazapp thread has 3 (max. 4 if you include brkn) devs and thousands of end-users only...Applying this 50-50 logic should mean more than the current amount of apps we have...

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-10-02 at 10:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post: