Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Side note, not directed towards anybody.

I remember when karma meant something. It was a door opener to a lot of things. The moment - coincidental or not, I've been around here since 2007 - I got a decent amount of karma, karma was pushed aside as no longer important and it's granted me absolutely nothing.

Sad part, there's others with very high karma that are being overlooked and this new proposed system seems to further cement a possible situation where worthy people (read: I am not including myself in the worthy, but I am talking about people in the same range of karma as myself) and this proposal of a new karma system will invariably exclude some prime candidates for the sake of it being something new with a bunch of criteria that you all are not addressing at this very moment.

Karma is karma. Period. You can't fake it, it may be artificially pumped up (read: Now I am talking about myself) or it may be given to folks that are doing what a community needs the most; contribute in more than one way.

This doesn't mean that Texrat and the council doesn't have a good solution. I'm willing to bet it is a humdinger of a proposal. But I just hope that it doesn't bring forth a sense of being left out to those people that are truly deserving.

And yes... I'm quite proud of my karma rating despite how flawed or how long it took me to get it. I'd wish to not lose any of it unless the terms are made very clear publicly.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I share the concern about fake sock puppet accounts.
[...]
I'd also like to hear from others who are willing to discard the council/karma system in lieu of another form of governance.
I think the council will still be required, to interface between the board (who presumably will have more pressing matters to attend to) and the community at large.

Karma as a gatekeeper for voting is broken IMHO. Why not establish a more formal membership program (like for example GNOME, Debian or Fedora), and bestow voting rights to accepted members?

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
Here's a text file in tsv, haven't got time to play with it now.
thanks, highly appreciated

Last edited by misterc; 2012-09-23 at 00:12.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
where can I see who is running and for what?
here......

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
This doesn't mean that Texrat and the council doesn't have a good solution. I'm willing to bet it is a humdinger of a proposal. But I just hope that it doesn't bring forth a sense of being left out to those people that are truly deserving.
I would never get behind implementing anything that did that.

Essentially, all I am talking about is normalizing results anyway, NOT any sort of major overhaul. Numbers per se would change, but it would be across the board and accounting of merit would not actually change.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
At this moment, Tim Samoff has presented his candidature for Board only.

Texrat has his nomination message pending of moderation in the ML (yet another infrastructure issue we need to solve).
I resubmitted from my registered email address.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I would never get behind implementing anything that did that.

Essentially, all I am talking about is normalizing results anyway, NOT any sort of major overhaul. Numbers per se would change, but it would be across the board and accounting of merit would not actually change.
to what end?
i'm not aware of any use of karma except for qualifying for voting (10) or for election (100).

or do you want to exacerbate the meritocracy BS?
e.g. only those who have contributed enough code bug reports or whatever will get points?
in which case i guess ppl like me (or Gerbick?) who posted a lot but didn't do much coding are in big trouble...

not sure whether this karma stuff is that important...
why weren't the N9(50) community rewards allocated according to it, then?

in the end, what matters is that there are members who are interested in Maemo / MeeGo devices.
why do you have to go thru this middle-age BS of having to be "aristocratic" / "have karma" to be able to participate?
or early modern times where one had to have a fortune to be able to have a say...

why are you even bothering with elections then?

candidates, apply!
5 / 10 highest karmas are "elected"
saves a lot of trouble, no?

Last edited by misterc; 2012-09-23 at 10:52.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I think the process ov voting is to hard. Too few people voting.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I think the process ov voting is to hard. Too few people voting.
those who vote show their interest
and yes, once the number of voters gets down to a handful, maybe the time will have come to call it a day...

if you are not interested in voting, what are you posting for?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
those who vote show their interest
and yes, once the number of voters gets down to a handful, maybe the time will have come to call it a day...

if you are not interested in voting, what are you posting for?
What? Who said I'm not intressting in voting?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...