Active Topics

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
...day before tomorrow...
That sounds like the guy who was drowning and shouting for help but could not remember the word drowning so he shouted, "Help, last time swim!"

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
a weird problem here starting day before tomorrow i used fcam extensively at a party and i realised blink on capture not working as i enabled it then also when i slid the keyboard to rename a few files the backlight was gone i rebooted no effect later on when i put it to wall charger charging led didnt glow i fear doom started to dig with some commands it didnt lit used led pattern editor it did not worked but now at least it blinked for a milisec faintly
then i thought of plugging it without battrey to my surprise it blinked yellow i put in battrey with charger connected and everything fine now the same problem again and i repet the procedure everything ok again
what the hell is going on ?
stock mce
cssu thumb
kp 53
all repos on
fcam is known to have a nasty bug of writing to LP5523 indicator/kbd-backlight controller chip directly via I2C and causing massive messup at times to the chips. AFAIK this never got fixed and only can recover from it by removing battery and unplugging charger for several minutes until LP5523 and possibly other chips on same I2C bus too finally reset to a sane state

BR
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
fcam is known to have a nasty bug of writing to LP5523 indicator/kbd-backlight controller chip directly via I2C and causing massive messup at times to the chips. AFAIK this never got fixed and only can recover from it by removing battery and unplugging charger for several minutes until LP5523 and possibly other chips on same I2C bus too finally reset to a sane state

BR
jOERG
that sounds scary
does it do hardware damage ?
if i dont enable the blink led feature would it be safe ? considering fcam is the one i use normally though it dosent do flash and i have taught myself weird workarounds for that

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
that sounds scary
does it do hardware damage ?
Not entirely impossible but pretty unlikely. I can't tell for sure since I never looked into fcam to investigate what exactly it does. In theory bogus noise on I2C bus *can* do hw damage.
`man ic2detect`
WARNING
This program can confuse your I2C bus, cause data loss and worse!
for some chips "data loss" == damage. Also there's a known hw bug in N900 LP5523 circuitry that could result in CPU damage when enabling an illegal config of the chips, however unlikely it may be to do this by accident with noise on I2C.
if i dont enable the blink led feature would it be safe ? considering fcam is the one i use normally though it dosent do flash and i have taught myself weird workarounds for that
IIRC disabling that indicator light (lower left besides the LCD display) blinking feature in fcam should fix the issue. Sorry again I can't tell for sure but it sounds plausible.

HTH
/j

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2015-04-18 at 15:22.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Not entirely impossible but pretty unlikely. I can't tell for sure since I never looked into fcam to investigate what exactly it does. In theory bogus noise on I2C bus *can* do hw damage.
for some chips "data loss" == damage. Also there's a known hw bug in N900 LP5523 circuitry that could result in CPU damage when enabling an illegal config of the chips, however unlikely it may be to do this by accident with noise on I2C.

IIRC disabling that indicator light (lower left besides the LCD display) blinking feature in fcam should fix the issue. Sorry again I can't tell for sure but it sounds plausible.

HTH
/j
well i rather continue using fcam on bedside n900 then donn know what to use on my mains now as stock cam is nowhere near nor any other camera progs are fast and fluid like fcam
my workaround for flash was enable it before hand i.e use live focus or flashlite applet then take pictures and more recently launching lanterne in background as it has a nifty feature to use camera button full press to activate flash and amazingly the button works for both i.e i just hold the camera button for a sec and it takes picture and also lights up the flash ! though its low power flash
how pausible is this as a workaround to use flash on fcam

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 254 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
oh wow ! but how ?
Somewhere in this thread are the binaries I'm running, and instructions on where to copy them. Keep in mind the copy and paste issue that some people had while copying the INI file stuff though (also in this thread).

I was thinking of attempting to do a merge request to the official MCE version, but FMGs comment that anything that changes the default behavior of the device is unlikely to be approved (and this does, it removes the keyboard fade out and just turns it off instead) sort of put me off from trying to figure out the process (I'm not a developer by trade so don't do much with git/svn at that level.)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shawnjefferson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shawnjefferson View Post
I was thinking of attempting to do a merge request to the official MCE version, but FMGs comment that anything that changes the default behavior of the device is unlikely to be approved (and this does, it removes the keyboard fade out and just turns it off instead) sort of put me off from trying to figure out the process
That's a pity, particularly since I guess that's an easy to fix issue. Simply implement a
Code:
for (( i=0; i<100; i++ )); do set-kbd-brigthness $i; sleep 0.01; done
(and I=100; i>=0; i--; for fade out.)
I'm pretty interested in this finally going CSSU-testing since I think it fixes some flaws in original MCE

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:

Tags
cssu-mce, fremantle, hdtd thread, htdt detected