Active Topics

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
would you expand on that? I am still in the dark.
http://www.androidauthority.com/nexu...oundup-626660/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brunelli For This Useful Post:
ah, so essentially a different phone with different cpu, different board logic, different camera module, different power management logic, different emmc, different screen, etc....

essentially a fresh start as far as getting a fully functional sailfish image.

the original n5 sits at the top of the sailfish compatibility chart for a reason; because enthusiasts have put effort into supporting its [particular] hardware configuration.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
I have Ubuntu Touch running on a Nexus 5, and it works pretty well. What would be the advantage to moving to SailfishOS? Has anyone tried both?

i tried Ubuntu but not for long, to me touch felt clunky, but thats.because i went for the latest devel.

sailfish is good enough to be my daily driver, depends what you need really

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 443 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Grenoble, France
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
I have Ubuntu Touch running on a Nexus 5, and it works pretty well. What would be the advantage to moving to SailfishOS? Has anyone tried both?
Tried both (and also FFOS).

Clearly the best is SailfiSh OS. More complete, more apps, more everything.
Next is FFOS.
Then Ubuntu Touch.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mousse04 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
I had Ubuntu Touch a long time ago on Nexus7, and did not like it very much. I was expecting a more Ubuntu-PC like experience and it sure left me wanting. After that I installed SFOS on it and it is a lot more like what I want.

Granted, this was long ago and a different device, but still...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Did anyone try Plasma Mobile on Nexus 5? I saw the video, but interface looked not as streamlined as Sailfish one.

i saw it, looked like another android clone

Did anyone try Plasma Mobile on Nexus 5? I saw the video, but interface looked not as streamlined as Sailfish one.
That is true. The interface is far from ready. Its just there to demonstrate that it is possible to run something plasmaish on the phone.
I did test it a few weeks ago and started porting some of my apps to it. (Video Player and noto).
Disclaimer: There might be a newer version out there with some more fixes.

The works of the Visual Design Group just began regarding how to actually design the User Interface.
Also Performance wise its sluggish. I don't think there is any acceleration going on though I was able to playback some videos without frames skipped.

Overall its in pre-alpha and behaves like expected for a pre-alpha.

Browser is the Ubuntu Touch Browser based on oxide (Chromiums Blink) which supports html5 audio+video. Camera is working. Though I had to use an extra app (there where two apps one looked like the ubuntu touch one and did not work. The other one was a basic kf5 based one which worked). Phone functionality should work but I did not test it. Volume Buttons do work though the overlay volume indicator is scaled to 300% and you can't really see which volume you adjusted (everything over 60% is off the screen)
Most annoying for the moment is that the display can't be turned off. If you hit the power button it just overlays a black image on the screen. But the screen itself is still running. This eats up battery pretty fast.
Turning it off you need to use adb in and use the poweroff command. Or use the included terminal and type in poweroff.
The virtualkeyboard works quite nice and has a little virtual trackpoint to move around the cursor which is quite handy in textboxes and so on.
Sound works. Wireless works though I had to use wifi-setup from the commandline as the widget in the "tray" / statusbar did not set the dns as it seems.
Notifications are all dummys at the moments. So you can remove them but won't get any new ones. Adding some simply widgets onto the desktop works like on Plasma 5 for the desktop.

It would be unfair to compare Plasma 5 currently with its competitors as it is too early in development

If someone is interested in porting stuff:
There is currently no HIG (Human Interface Guideline).
You can use the PlasmaComponents that you can also use for the desktop and they get automatically scaled which works quite fine as I can develop qml apps on the desktop and run the same app on the phone and everything is properly scaled so it is touchfriendly.
If you want to port something start with something easy or something that has a unique user interface anyways (like a game emulator).
Most of the developers should wait until the HIG is out or some other example app that demonstrate how default apps should look like.

edit:
I almost forgot to mention it. You can use adb shell or the included terminal and use normal apt-get and dpkg packagemanagers to install software. As software sources you can also include armhf repos and install software from it.

Donate using Liberapay

Last edited by llelectronics; 2015-08-25 at 10:36.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by llelectronics View Post
The works of the Visual Design Group just began regarding how to actually design the User Interface.
Thanks, I look forward for it to mature. We need a solid open option. While Sailfish was supposed to be open sourced according to some recent news, we don't know when and how it will happen.

By the way, do you know why Plasma Mobile isn't based on Mer anymore and instead is using Kubuntu as a base? Or it's just the prototype example? In the past Plasma Active was based on Mer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post: