But nokia usually never is in the front with new and state of the art hardware?

Just check the N8 for example, 620 mhz and its supposed to be a highend phone? Today we're talking about 1 ghz...

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
I would be surprised that the new reference HW design (nCDK/iCDK) for Meego 1.2 (and up) testing would be more capable, faster than the first Meego/harmattan device (N9?) if it has an Intel Atom in the first place of course.

Never good to test UX internally on a faster design that what you're pushing in the market ... User perception will be less in the field than internally ... Not really what one normally wants, I would think.

Last edited by Netweaver; 2011-01-21 at 12:01. Reason: fat fingers

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by neotalk View Post
This item claims that the N9 will use a 1.2GHz Intel Atom processor:

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/noki...ssor-50002309/

also here is a few other links to confirm this:

http://news.google.co.uk/news/story?...ed=0CDMQqgIwAw
This is the state of techblogs nowadays, everyone just keeps parroting what the others say. The "rumour" got started after a blog ran a short article with the title "N9 based on Atom processor" which every other blog keeps referencing. The thing is, the original doesn't have any sources either, and just vaguely mentions *drumroll* ..rumours.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by jsa View Post
This is the state of techblogs nowadays, everyone just keeps parroting what the others say. The "rumour" got started after a blog ran a short article with the title "N9 based on Atom processor" which every other blog keeps referencing. The thing is, the original doesn't have any sources either, and just vaguely mentions *drumroll* ..rumours.
Well, the orginal source was Prosessori, which is not a blog. It's really old skool computing magazine, that usually doesn't do any rumours at all. (Which means that I take this rumour at least little bit more seriously than most).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by eikido View Post
But nokia usually never is in the front with new and state of the art hardware?

Just check the N8 for example, 620 mhz and its supposed to be a highend phone? Today we're talking about 1 ghz...
it was only a proof of concept that android and ios uses available calculation power badly.

http://nokiamobileblog.com/benchmark...ia-hd-vs-ipad/
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Well, the orginal source was Prosessori, which is not a blog. It's really old skool computing magazine, that usually doesn't do any rumours at all. (Which means that I take this rumour at least little bit more seriously than most).
Yeah, I know that, and the fact that the magazine is well respected. But it was posted on their site in the news section, and it was pretty evident from reading it that they don't really know anything more than anyone else.

I'd say that the consensus is that there are two models (RM-680 Dali and RM-696 Lankku) aspiring to be THE N9, and for a fact those two are TI OMAP.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
When I complained to Nokia last March about the lack of support for the Meamo OS and we were not getting Nokia supported meego, just after I got my device, I was told the following in an email:-

"As to you question: my understanding is that Meego will be a replacement platform that will be launched in future devices. The MeeGo is using a different hardware platform (Intel based x86 instead of the ARM) and thus it will not be compatible with the N900 device. However N900 will keep on receiving upgrades and is supported by Nokia."

I assumed at the time this person replying on behalf of Nokia had got thing wrongs but given the latest rumours perhaps the y were in fact correct??

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to droitwichgas For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Andrew_b View Post
The vast majority of mobile phone buyers are not concerned with the pros and cons of CPU architecture, OS efficiency, etc. when comparing specs, they only see the big number.
My case in point shown here only a few posts later:

Originally Posted by eikido View Post
Just check the N8 for example, 620 mhz and its supposed to be a highend phone? Today we're talking about 1 ghz..

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Andrew_b View Post
To stay in the game now, it's not about how good a phone is, it's about how good consumers think it is.
Sounds kind of fishy to me...
Something along the lines of "Let's make the ad so people think it's better than it is, not how truly good the thing is..."

Intel is the biggest brand name when it comes to 'computer' processors. How impressed will consumers be when offered a phone with 'the same' processor as their laptop/desktop PC and an 'Intel Inside' sticker on the box?
This will lead to numerous cases of "I have this same intel sticker on my notebook/desktop, so why can't I run XXXXX program on this too??"

It's like saying: "All those other phones just use obscure, puny phone processors. This baby has the same CPU as your laptop."
May lead to false expectations, not good for long term prospects.

If Nokia can ship the N9 running Meego with an Intel CPU and demonstrate more than three day's 'real life' smartphone use out of a regular size battery, I think I'd have to take my hat off to them.
I'd be impressed if they do one.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by mmurfin87 View Post
As long as I can dual boot Windows 7 on it, I'll be happy.