Active Topics

Posts: 333 | Thanked: 153 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ blah blah
EPIC FAIL

what did you expected with elop on the head...

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Commercially, I think this is good for both companies...

Nokia + MS = very recognizable and 'trusted' brand names for the masses.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
"Windows Phone as its primary smartphone strategy" ???

Looks like the N900 is my last Nokia.

Was good while it lasted, have a good life.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to philh For This Useful Post:
And they probably still won't release a phone before the end of the year I bet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Braski For This Useful Post:
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Long Island, New York
Originally Posted by Faustino View Post
GLOBAL – Today in London, our two companies announced plans for a broad strategic partnership that combines the respective strengths of our companies and builds a new global mobile ecosystem. The partnership increases our scale, which will result in significant benefits for consumers, developers, mobile operators and businesses around the world. We both are incredibly excited about the journey we are on together.

While the specific details of the deal are being worked out, here’s a quick summary of what we are working towards:

• Nokia will adopt Windows Phone as its primary smartphone strategy, innovating on top of the platform in areas such as imaging, where Nokia is a market leader.

• Nokia will help drive and define the future of Windows Phone. Nokia will contribute its expertise on hardware design, language support, and help bring Windows Phone to a larger range of price points, market segments and geographies.

• Nokia and Microsoft will closely collaborate on development, joint marketing initiatives and a shared development roadmap to align on the future evolution of mobile products.

• Bing will power Nokia’s search services across Nokia devices and services, giving customers access to Bing’s next generation search capabilities. Microsoft adCenter will provide search advertising services on Nokia’s line of devices and services.

• Nokia Maps will be a core part of Microsoft’s mapping services. For example, Maps would be integrated with Microsoft’s Bing search engine and adCenter advertising platform to form a unique local search and advertising experience.

• Nokia’s extensive operator billing agreements will make it easier for consumers to purchase Nokia Windows Phone services in countries where credit-card use is low.

• Microsoft development tools will be used to create applications to run on Nokia Windows Phones, allowing developers to easily leverage the ecosystem’s global reach.

• Microsoft will continue to invest in the development of Windows Phone and cloud services so customers can do more with their phone, across their work and personal lives.

• Nokia’s content and application store will be integrated with Microsoft Marketplace for a more compelling consumer experience.

We each bring incredible assets to the table. Nokia’s history of innovation in the hardware space, global hardware scale, strong history of intellectual property creation and navigation assets are second to none. Microsoft is a leader in software and services; the company’s incredible expertise in platform creation forms the opportunity for its billions of customers and millions of partners to get more out of their devices.

Together, we have some of the world’s most admired brands, including Windows, Office, Bing, Xbox Live, NAVTEQ and Nokia. We also have a shared understanding of what it takes to build and sustain a mobile ecosystem, which includes the entire experience from the device to the software to the applications, services and the marketplace.

Today, the battle is moving from one of mobile devices to one of mobile ecosystems, and our strengths here are complementary. Ecosystems thrive when they reach scale, when they are fueled by energy and innovation and when they provide benefits and value to each person or company who participates. This is what we are creating; this is our vision; this is the work we are driving from this day forward.

There are other mobile ecosystems. We will disrupt them.

There will be challenges. We will overcome them.

Success requires speed. We will be swift.

Together, we see the opportunity, and we have the will, the resources and the drive to succeed.
i've been a loyal nokia customer since 1999...i am announcing effectively right now, i quit. im so disappointed i dont even know how to react emotionally. elop should be shot and so should any board members who approved this decision to cast themselves into the depths with the most out of touch corporation on the face of the planet. they ran from the burning platform into the water when there was a fire extinguisher handy. now they're swimming the wrong way and soon the rapids will lead them to a waterfall with jagged rocks below it. im not going for this ride. way to waste years of development. this is not the solution. im as upset as i believe i am capable of being right now. i feel like someone stole my child.

good night from new york.

Lover of Music, Technology & Travel
If I'm not logged in, I'm probably jetsetting to a city near you...

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Swimm12984 For This Useful Post:

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
how nice. Developers who believed the qt/symbian/meego story will love nokia for this.
finally an official excuse (outside lack of time/laziness) to uninstall qt creator from my home computer....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Long Island, New York
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Commercially, I think this is good for both companies...

Nokia + MS = very recognizable and 'trusted' brand names for the masses.
in the us, both are most recognizable right now, in the mobile phone universe, as being FAILING competitors. 2 wrongs do not make a right

Lover of Music, Technology & Travel
If I'm not logged in, I'm probably jetsetting to a city near you...

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 178 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ SF Bay Area
I now understand why Ari Jaaksi now works at HP...

I have to say I'm disappointed. I'll probably still buy the E7 when it comes available in the US. The damn thing works. Maps work properly. Nokia is still likely to update its browser.

To my view this "strategy" is a short-term tactic. But what do I know? He's the CEO. He gets the big bucks. But, I used to think Nokia had a longer term view...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kjmackey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Daly City
Originally Posted by jhb View Post
Meego continues as vaporvare:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/11/n...ing-this-year/
then what?? same as maemo?? daym, i guess its time to move to android.. -.-

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chase15 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org