OK, I've searched the forums and I find bits and pieces of the puzzle, but I still can't figure out what all I need to make this work. Can someone who has this working under OS2008 please post the steps?

Thanks,
-Scurrie

The Following User Says Thank You to scurrie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 97 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ France
http://david.hautbois.free.fr/joomla...d=46&Itemid=46

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tahitibob For This Useful Post:
There you go, easy as 1-2-3

4-5-6-7-8-9 ..... 112-113-114....

(as usual!)

But at least there's some fairly explicit instructions and some illustrations, thanks Tahitibob

Erminig is fine, but the new GPE calendar appears to do some Google sync by itself. Now... Just try and find some documentation for the current GPE calendar.

I have used it for a short time... it was a desaster: appointments were duplicated or lost... I have uninstalled it. Therefore you should backup your calendar before syncing it.

Regards

Tim

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
the new GPE calendar appears to do some Google sync by itself
Would you mind posting this information when you find it?

it was a desaster: appointments were duplicated or lost
I have had this experience too but it was down to my own lack of familiarity and understanding rather than a failure of Erminig. On a point of usage, I edit the calendar on the N800 only and use Google as a backup and permanent storage so my updating is a one-way process. I am sure that it can be a two-way but that was when I got into a knot.

I have just synched the Calendar information on the N800 with Google and it went a dream.

you should backup your calendar before syncing it.
The N800 Backup utility does this and stores the GPE information in its backup file under /documents
If you want to copy the files manually they are located in
root/home/user/.gpe

I understand that in Linux a folder name preceded by a dot denotes that the folder is hidden. So far I am unable to find a File Manager for the N800 that can display hidden folders. Any suggestions please?

Not sure you can get to hidden folders with the graphical file managers, but Midnight Commander (mc) on the terminal interface will do it. I suspect that when we get to discussions of hidden folders under Linux, we're talking about command line stuff. Being a *nix sysadmin, this never occurred to me. I would just jump in the terminal app, and do what I want directly.

Note: Under OS2008's repositories, I do not see Midnight Commander. I did install it from a repository last time, so it's entirely possible you can go to Maemo's Web pages, and the OS2007 version will install, and work.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Not sure you can get to hidden folders with the graphical file managers,
It was a feature of GPE File Manager under Os2007 but it is no longer there in the Os2008 version.

There are 2 current threads on the subject of File managers
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=13177
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=13160

I had hopes that emilFM2 would do this but it has eluded me so far.
Canoe is another possibility but that too seems to have fallen by the wayside with the arrival of Os2008.

Presently I use Backup/Restore to SD and then extract the files from the SD card in Vista.

Note to self: Learn Linux command line.

Here is the Maemo page of Graham Cobb. He recompiles the GPE stuff for Maemo, and it's his repository we use. Of interest on this page are the two backup scripts under the Open Sync section that back up the GPE stuff to a cell phone using Bluetooth.

I'm going to ask Graham if he knows where the updated docs are for the calendar.

The Following User Says Thank You to cbarnett For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by timkawa View Post
I have used it for a short time... it was a desaster: appointments were duplicated or lost... I have uninstalled it. Therefore you should backup your calendar before syncing it.

Regards

Tim
Hey Tim, it's not clear to me from your post what 'it' was that caused the disaster. Was it Erming? Or are you referring to the above-mentioned use of a built-in GPE/Google sync? I've not heard of this before, but I have been using Erminig for some time with 07 and now I use it with 08 without a problem. Right after upgrading to 08, I had some troubles with appointments showing up at the wrong time, but this was 'fixed' but setting my time and date correctly on the N810.

IMO this is one of the most useful applications I have on my N810! Maemopicasa is another great app by TahitiBob; it loads photos from the N8x0 to my web albums and now, with usb host capabilities, I can even load them up web directly from the camera! TahitiBob is the mage!