Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
http://www.gsmarena.com/microsoft_ca...news-18400.php

http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/25/m...the-old-nokia/

Lots of reports coming out that Microsoft are about to kill off the last vestiges of the phone operations that they bought from Nokia (or haven't already sold). A further 1350 job losses for Finland and the death of handset expertise in the area.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Wouldn't surprise me, especially given the recent sale of the feature phone portion. But let's be honest; who's going to miss Nokia under Microsoft? I cannot think of one decision or product that came from that union that is currently noteworthy.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Nokia is now belongs to Nokia at Finland, and new Nokia Original phones are coming

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Sad to say, but this was more or less expected outcome as Windows Phone couldn't compete with Android/iOS duopoly regardless of massive stash of cash Microsoft threw into it. It fared even worse after Microsoft acquired Nokia phone business and Nokia brand was faded out. Interesting to see what kind of effect this has on new company designing the return of Nokia branded devices.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
The difference is that little revived Nokia will not be old does-as-it-pleases Nokia for good and bad. I dont expect anything revolutionary like Maemo-Meego-WebOS. We can probably expect little more than safe formulaic Foxcon-China built rectangular Android touch phones.

I worry that the mobile device sphere is finally slowing down and homogenizing. The only real hope I see for anything N770,800,900 interesting is that they are mainlining the Android kernel into bog-Linux meaning we can all have evil blob binary drivers for most hardware. We will probably be able to run x11 on most Android devices we can get past the bootloader like how we do with laptops.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
Were Finland factories transfered to Microsoft as part of the deal or dismantled?
It will be interesting to see Nokia regaining control of former "Made in Finland" factories

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hariainm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Originally Posted by Hariainm View Post
Were Finland factories transfered to Microsoft as part of the deal or dismantled?
It will be interesting to see Nokia regaining control of former "Made in Finland" factories
I would be surprised if they left these ageing resources to idle in a climate controlled factory under dusty tarps for five years on the possibility that they might decide to re-enter the phone making business. They probably were sold and loaded onto a ship or sold for scrap.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
Hahaha no, i was thinking if factories are still used to make WP Lumias / S40 phones or whatever or if sold to other tech company. I lost interest since MS adquisition so i don't know the details. I mean, is there any possibility we will see again phones "Made in Finland"?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hariainm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
Nokia is now belongs to Nokia at Finland, and new Nokia Original phones are coming
with Atari TOS

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
with Atari TOS
Hey, that'd be kinda cool. I still have fond memories of my Atari STs; TOS really combined the best concepts of Apple's Lisa / Mac GUI with an OS that was much more efficient...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post: