Notices

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Just a question does local database storage is enable in this version of WebKit (a part of HTML5 specs) ?

Originally Posted by iskarion View Post
Did you already restart your tablet after webkit-eal installation? I had the same problem after the first install until I did do a restart.
That did the trick. Pronvit: If this step is inevitable maybe it is an idea to show a popup after installing Webkit telling to reboot?

Even though I like the speed increase of Webkit I will keep using Gecko/Microb for a while because I've grown dependent on these things:

- minimum font size
- dpad key scrolling (smooth scrolling whole pages)
- custom stylesheets
- set location bar to a custom search engine string
- make cookies session only for privacy

I made the Speeddial script. There are some Mozilla specific bits in there (the xml dom functions) that can be changed to work with Webkit. So if there is demand for it I'll give it a try.

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 2009-01-09 at 16:09.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
on the button respone, its as simple as tapping inside the actual web page. its an annoyance the first time round tho, i agree.

Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
Even though I like the speed increase of Webkit I will keep using Gecko/Microb for a while because I've grown dependent on these things:
Sounds like you need an intervention.

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Hum ... i ll try to install and try to not reboot

I think a simple sudo /etc/init.d/osso-browser restart should do the trick

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Moscow, Russia
Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
Just a question does local database storage is enable in this version of WebKit (a part of HTML5 specs) ?
no. I disabled all html5 features and svg. I'm not sure this is right. and also I don't know how much this affects speed/memory usage, but they are useless _for me_ and I disabled them hoping this will make it faster/smaller. if somebody needs them I'll recompile with these features enabled for you.

for everybody: sorry I'm not answering everybody personally but I read and take into account all your ideas and bugreports for next versions.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pronvit For This Useful Post:
Just want to post a thank you to pronvit for the hard work and the easy to install deb. This exactly gives the NIT web browser a good kick in the butt.

I can confirm this, long feeds from Feedcircuit (over 100 entries containing pictures and links) load much much faster than before. In fact, it was almost painful to use for that specific feed.

The kinetic scrolling is great, since I do a lot of one-handed browsing of these long Feedcircuit pages. My thumb would get tired very quickly. Would there be any way to adjust the scroll acceleration? I'd like it to keep scrolling just a tiny bit further with a quick flick

Thanks again!

One more thing, webkit seems to accept inputting Japanese characters into textboxes with maemocjk. The latest SSU seemed to break that functionality for me with MicroB. (ie: type Japanese into the Google search text input box)

Originally Posted by yukky View Post
The kinetic scrolling is great, since I do a lot of one-handed browsing of these long Feedcircuit pages. My thumb would get tired very quickly. Would there be any way to adjust the scroll acceleration? I'd like it to keep scrolling just a tiny bit further with a quick flick
please read this post http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...&postcount=209

for example try to change kscrollstep from 20 to something less or better change kscrollfading from 0.9 to 0.95, try different values (you have to reopen browser window after changing values)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pronvit For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by yukky View Post
One more thing, webkit seems to accept inputting Japanese characters into textboxes with maemocjk. The latest SSU seemed to break that functionality for me with MicroB. (ie: type Japanese into the Google search text input box)
By the way, because I removed ICU library dependency, there may be some problems with complex encodings (like Japanese, especially right-to-left languages), if you notice something please send me message with address of page with problems

Tags
browser, webkit