So out of curiosity how long do people generally stick with older internet tablets after new ones are released?

It feels like I just got my n810 (less then a few months) and now it seems the N97 is on the verge of release (looks beautiful though it appears to be a phone rather then itt).

So does development of older tablets continue after new tablets pop up? I must admit my main reason for getting it was as a pda. (it was actually cheaper then most) However, I enjoy the continuous updates and fun features. I can't say I like the idea of the updates slowing.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i got my n800 used a year ago, and i plan to use it for a while more

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Got my N800 15 months ago, use it every day, no plans to buy newer model.

Posts: 161 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ SLO, CA; United States
I use mine all the time (every day @ work and @ home) and have been using it since the day before they were officially released -- don't ask... anyway, I would like more speed, etc. but I think I will continue to use it after the new one comes out, and not even sure if I will get the new one right away. So far, the n800 does everything I hoped it would -- short of having a keyboard, but obviously that was taken care of and it was not a big enough draw to buy the 810.

Originally Posted by snow_fox View Post
So out of curiosity how long do people generally stick with older internet tablets after new ones are released?
Well, I'm rocking an N800 that's about 14 months old, with no plans to switch to an N810 primary (although the price is getting low enough I might pick up a used one if I see an exceptional deal, just to play with). I'll definitely be going for an RX-51 or Pandora shortly after they come out.
It feels like I just got my n810 (less then a few months) and now it seems the N97 is on the verge of release (looks beautiful though it appears to be a phone rather then itt).
Well, it is a phone, rather than a tablet, and is missing the two big characteristics that made the NITs interesting to me: 800x480/225PPI screen, and Linux. For me, at least, the N810 was mixed vs. the N800, but the N97 is a definite step down. Depends what you want, of course, but with the RX-51 having data (and perhaps voice) connectivity, which to me is the N97's only real advantage, I'd wait till more details are out on it before jumping to the N97.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I find myself using an N810WE more than my other devices but mainly because I've been testing it for Nokia. Once I have to give it back () I'll be using my own N810 mostly... N800s have been gathering dust but I like having them as a backup. One of them was my laptop backup-- I could do about 80% to 90% of my former job on it if I did not have use of my work laptop.

My kids went many months without touching their N800s, and now they're using them again.

Anyway, I hope to get the next model as well, but odds are I would keep using the N810 in the car.

I've had my N800 pretty much since they were released. I still use it daily as my brain extension. I'll pick up the new model when its released but, well-documented grumps apart, it's still the most useful piece of tech I've got.

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Philadelphia, PA
I picked up my N810 in August and I've used it quite a bit. What I picked up a tech toy has turned out to be way more useful to me than I originally thought. My one gripe is the lack of processing power when rendering web pages (what I do most on the tablet) and the step up in processing power of an OMAP 3430 chipset really has a draw. I will definitely be looking to pick up the RX-51 when it's released. I will keep the N810 as a backup and maybe a remote to be used with a media server. Still so many things to try with the tablet that I haven't done.

The Following User Says Thank You to Gorgon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by snow_fox View Post
(looks beautiful though it appears to be a phone rather then itt).
Just, fyi, "itt" is a website (this one, in fact) you mean "NIT", "IT" or "tablet". Though the term may or may not still apply after the next generation is released.

I bought my N800 on release day (that makes it weeks away from 2 years old) and plan on dropping it like a rock when the RX-51 is out. It'll likely be used as a media remote, couch browser and ebook reader (much like my old 770).

i've had my n800 for over a year (although ive been a silent reader on the forums until recently) and ill be keeping mine even after the rx-51. it can be sluggish at times but it can accomplish what i need it to. even after the new tablet comes out, ill still have xournal to take notes and do hw (while saving paper), mytube still makes a great youtube browser, and i like being able to browse the web and read email on a larger screen than my phone and all of this will stay the same despite the release of a new tablet.