Active Topics

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens

Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
guys, what is this?

http://www.facebook.com/JollaMobile/...52067514807091
It was shown on the presentation before. It takes the non button concept on N9 a bit further.

Swipe on the screen works the same as back button. Swipe from the frame gets you to multitasking view (same as on N9/N950).

Last edited by tissot; 2012-11-21 at 17:01.

Just wondering what are the chances of this being ported to the N9?

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by OVK View Post
I still would like to have a status bar. I am just used to have some info (battery status, clock) visible all the time.

I hope that the UI is open enough that some hacker can add it later...
That was my question too. It's visible with a small gesture, think how you would check the time when watching a video on N9. Swipe away a little.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
From the sailfish wiki QA:

Will you support DRM

No.

Ooops. 8-)

Originally Posted by uTMY View Post
Does anyone know if the OS is fully opensource (GPL'd) ?
I'm wondering that too. Is the Wikipedia article for Sailfish OS acurate? Is the user interface not open source?

If the user interface isn't open source, wouldn't that make Sailfish a step back from Maemo and MeeGo in regards to software freedom, and less open source friendly than Android?

Posts: 146 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Lisbon, Portugal
Originally Posted by drcouzelis View Post
I'm wondering that too. Is the Wikipedia article for Sailfish OS acurate? Is the user interface not open source?

If the user interface isn't open source, wouldn't that make Sailfish a step back from Maemo and MeeGo in regards to software freedom, and less open source friendly than Android?
Harmattan's UI is not open source as well. The core is, though, and the distro containing the open-source components is called Mer. Mer is the underpinning of Sailfish.

If Jolla's claim that they can have Sailfish running on a brand new hardware platform after one day of work is true, blows cleanly out of the water one of the most infamous claims of Steven Elop, that Harmattan could not easily be adapted to new hardware. Harmattan had several Nokia-specific adaptations that made it more dificult to adapt than Mer, but what's the problem in taking one month to adapt to a new platform? Android takes six months or more!

I'm seeing the UI demo (last 10 minutes of the Slush keynote) and will comment on that when I have an opinion.

So far, I do not like the "swipe" being a dissolve instead of a card (a LOT less intuitive than the N9) and too much spindly thin text like WP8.

The UI will not be open source according to Jolla, I believe.

The Nokia UIs were not (for the most part) open source, either.

Posts: 146 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Lisbon, Portugal
OK - The UI is too stark. It needs color. The font is too much like WindowsPhone. The Music app needs album artwork. The 4 icons of the shortcut bar are ugly. The icons on the vertical row of the homescreen are too rounded and clash with the starkness and straight lines of the text font (choose one or the other, having both only clashes).

I hope the current theme is a placeholder and something better is used for launch.

When you pull down the "menu", you should be able to move the finger laterally to select the option if it's not an on/off toggle. Example:

Pull down until you see "Bluetooth: ON" - release the finger, it changes to "Bluetooth:OFF" and the menu rolls back up. Pull down until you see "Profile: Meeting" - moving finger left selects "Profile: Silent" and moving finger right selects "Profile: General" (releasing the finger selects the option and rolls the menu back up). Options that can be configured this way have two opposing arrows: "<| Profile: Meeting |>" or the various options side-by-side: "Profile: Silent Meeting General"

Also, only having two actions (swipe left and right) per "background widget" (plus touching the widget to call the app to the foreground) may be too limiting. I hope long-press calls up the close-button like on Harmattan and I hope that double-tap is supported too (for example, for "3D tiles", showing various information for the same app by "rotating" the tile). It's not as intuitive as swiping left-right for the 3D tiles as is beeing mooted for WindowsPhone, but Jolla is already using that for interacting with the widgets. If the widgets ("tiles") have only one face, only two actions are possible by swiping left-right. Multiply by four faces in "3D tiles" switching with double-tap, and you can have 8 actions.

And - YAY DOUBLE TAP TO WAKE UP!

Last edited by tigas; 2012-11-21 at 18:26.

Posts: 545 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ lebanon
Originally Posted by tigas View Post
Harmattan's UI is not open source as well. The core is, though, and the distro containing the open-source components is called Mer. Mer is the underpinning of Sailfish.

If Jolla's claim that they can have Sailfish running on a brand new hardware platform after one day of work is true, blows cleanly out of the water one of the most infamous claims of Steven Elop, that Harmattan could not easily be adapted to new hardware. Harmattan had several Nokia-specific adaptations that made it more dificult to adapt than Mer, but what's the problem in taking one month to adapt to a new platform? Android takes six months or more!

I'm seeing the UI demo (last 10 minutes of the Slush keynote) and will comment on that when I have an opinion.

So far, I do not like the "swipe" being a dissolve instead of a card (a LOT less intuitive than the N9) and too much spindly thin text like WP8.
remeber the famous disagreement with elop on meego of Felipe contreras

Tags
dave ate sail, fishing jolla, n9 sailfish, nokia n950, sailfish, sailfish os, sailfish video, where?