Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
http://www.raspberrypi.org/?p=201
Oooo... this is good. I'm encouraged by this. ...And you know what a cynical grumpy son of a b*tch I am.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Great, have you run this on your Ideapad?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT_jVhuOeJQ
Downloadable from http://codex.xiaoka.com/pub/mer/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
You know I still have all my old Mer Stickers, and Posters and other stuff I took to Linux Converances.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
Talking about MeeGo here - but to be clear - just the core.
Thanks for taking this initiative and posting about it on tmo. Since a week has passed, I have seen the proposal of an independent core met with some discussion and a proposal to include integration with active plasma.

I have read the meego mailing list. There is to be a decision on build system and how to make the project widely of interest.

Will you still be work with maemo community? and with Cordia project? You are certainly welcome to. We have funding, infrastructure, etc., and of course we were the original home of Mer. I encourage you to read our revised freedom in maemo for software development

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Thanks for taking this initiative and posting about it on tmo. Since a week has passed, I have seen the proposal of an independent core met with some discussion and a proposal to include integration with active plasma.
The way things are looking, Plasma will indeed be building on top of a Mer core, as CE (and Cordia) are doing.

If all that pans out, users will be able to install Plasma/CE/Cordia on their devices [with Mer running under the hood, as an implementation detail]

Will you still be work with maemo community? and with Cordia project? You are certainly welcome to. We have funding, infrastructure, etc., and of course we were the original home of Mer.
I personally do certainly see our goals (and more specifically, that of CE's) aligning with that of maemo.org, that is, a hackable free software stack usable on Nokia's devices.

We're not entirely bound within that space, though, so I don't think it's completely appropriate to just jump in and make ourselves at home: we aren't limiting ourselves to just the Nokia devices, and a lot of the software we're talking about differs.

In terms of infrastructure, etc, a lot of details still need to be worked out (i.e. how exactly Mer's repositories are going to be shared, etc), but currently things are looking like they can be managed quite well on a shoestring budget and ported around pretty easily, so I don't expect we have any needs (if any) - but thanks for the offer, it's nice to know we have alternatives if need be.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US

I personally do certainly see our goals (and more specifically, that of CE's) aligning with that of maemo.org, that is, a hackable free software stack usable on Nokia's devices.

We're not entirely bound within that space, though, so I don't think it's completely appropriate to just jump in and make ourselves at home: we aren't limiting ourselves to just the Nokia devices, and a lot of the software we're talking about differs.
You'll probably see more of this in the months to come, but I think the current trajectory of the maemo community is to become more independent of Nokia and not limit itself to just past Nokia maemo devices.

In terms of infrastructure, etc, a lot of details still need to be worked out (i.e. how exactly Mer's repositories are going to be shared, etc), but currently things are looking like they can be managed quite well on a shoestring budget and ported around pretty easily, so I don't expect we have any needs (if any) - but thanks for the offer, it's nice to know we have alternatives if need be.
We would like to see Mer implemented and easy porting as well.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
You'll probably see more of this in the months to come, but I think the current trajectory of the maemo community is to become more independent of Nokia and not limit itself to just past Nokia maemo devices.

We would like to see Mer implemented and easy porting as well.
Huge, strong YES to both of these points. My God, man.. Yes, please!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
If things come back to maemo and move forward as Mer, a lot of momentum will surely build. I'm sure a lot of the "i'm leaving" brigade peek in, through the one-way way glass of not signing in. If things are really stiring, then this could be quite an exiting place to be ... and may draw back old talent as well as new ... hopefully! Perhaps Meego folding was a good thing for maemo.org?

For those who'd like to know more and potentially offer some input, where's the best place to head at the moment? Everything seems quite fragmented at the moment so apologies if that info's clearly written somewhere!

Lastly, although some contributions to this thread have seemed quite ranty-shouty, getting the responses from the Mer team (and others) out in black and white, for all us maemo folks to see has been quite useful. Again, apologies if the re-iteration has given you sore throats. It was worth it, for the benefit of all the rest of us. Thank you.

Last edited by demolition; 2011-10-11 at 01:14.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:

Tags
déjà vu, for the fjords, just pining, meego is dead, not dead