Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Davey, the big day is almost here.

let's go bump some appropriate threads.
come on dude

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
and wireless charging at a distance (eg. anywhere in a room).
Simply not possible unless you have a laser more powerful than the one used against James Bond.

I prefer a simple microUSB dock instead of these wireless charging gimmicks... it simply robs you of space that could've been used for another port, function or make the battery larger.

Not to forget it causes it to get a little odd shaped and heavier than it needs to be. But its a theesable move for Apple which can sell the "Apple Dock" that can charge your iPhone, iPad Mini, iPad, MacBook Air at one center.

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Simply not possible unless you have a laser more powerful than the one used against James Bond.

I prefer a simple microUSB dock instead of these wireless charging gimmicks... it simply robs you of space that could've been used for another port, function or make the battery larger.

Not to forget it causes it to get a little odd shaped and heavier than it needs to be. But its a theesable move for Apple which can sell the "Apple Dock" that can charge your iPhone, iPad Mini, iPad, MacBook Air at one center.
To each his own, though wireless charging is a nifty feature to have for those that rest their devices in a common place. And it extends to beyond just in the home or single-charging pads. Car dashes, cafe tables, desks, counter-tops, etc, can have charging pads making it really easy to set your device down and get a charge without the need to physically plug it in.

It should be mentioned that the coil in the case is very thin and very light, so there is a negligible volume and mass cost associated with the implementation of the technology.

I'll personally take wireless power any day of the week. It's convenient, and makes life just a hair simpler. And it's only getting better:
http://blog.ted.com/2009/08/25/wireless_electr/
http://www.witricity.com/

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Yes, Miracast is a very exciting development. It is also one of those things that is far easier said than done.

The challenge of rolling out something like MIracast require a few things. It requires chips that are fast enough to do frame-buffer encodes on top of a potentially gruelling workload -- this generally calls for dedicated DSPs, multi-core CPUs, and a memory bus capable of hauling that information -- something modern SoCs can now do comfortably. This is especially relevant in games that tend to push resources to their max. Second, and perhaps most importantly, it requires coordination between OEMs that are producing different devices and forward vision to understand the future ramifications of the present specification implementation -- it bears the challenge of being a standard.

Sure, Google could have produced their own Miracast-like client on top of Android (eg. phone to GoogleTV), but Miracast wasn't an overnight development, and I'm sure they were well aware of and perhaps involved in the emerging technology. In this instance, waiting was wise: they produced a quality implementation that should yield a good UX, and will see very wide acceptance by many industry players.

I'm sure we'll see Miracast receivers for Android allowing us to connect stream screen content to tablet/phone/tv. I'm also looking forward to seeing the technology used in TVs, Projectors, and Head Mounted Displays, as the removal of a wire makes things that much easier.
Apparently, the hardware hackers ripping apart and studying the Nintendo WiiU are pointing out that it appears that the screen-throwing functionality is being done using thw Miracast protocol. They're already trying to see if they can take advantage of this using Android. That bit of trivia is pretty interesting all on its own.

http://www.slashgear.com/wii-u-teard...tion-19257509/

So apparently, there exists a DEDICATED chipset controller for miracast. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Very interesting indeed! It certainly makes sense (in hindsight) to include this functionality in its own chip, rather than burdening the CPU/GPU with software that runs for every app, as is the case with the WiiU.

I wonder what types of console/mobile tie-ins will be cooked up!

I think its a second Wifi chip, the graphics seem to be handled directly by the cpu:gpu.

Thats actually good news.
It means the performance footprintprint of Miracast is not a huge burden, and can be handled via traditional means. With that said, an individual processor chip for Miracast is still possible if you need to output 3D in UltraHD @60fps.

I'm flattered

Last edited by Kangal; 2012-11-22 at 22:58.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Anybody playing with this?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2012139

Multiple apps can appear in resizable windows on galaxy note 1 and 2.

Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Anybody playing with this?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2012139

Multiple apps can appear in resizable windows on galaxy note 1 and 2.
Welcome to 2012.
Just kidding. I played with this a while back... it sucks.
The regular/modded MultiView is so much better.

Resizable windows is really for something that's 9inches and larger. Otherwise, each window is too tiny and counteractive... splitscreen is more intuitive for small screen sizes.

I'm flattered

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Welcome to 2012.
Just kidding. I played with this a while back... it sucks.
The regular/modded MultiView is so much better.

Resizable windows is really for something that's 9inches and larger. Otherwise, each window is too tiny and counteractive... splitscreen is more intuitive for small screen sizes.

Well, I guess it depends on what you are more comfortable with. I like having both features. Multiview is nice and you can resize the screen if you want to focus more on one app or it does not need that much space. But if you want to make an app smaller but keep it in a more square window you can't do that with Multiview as the aspect ratio is constrained by how you split the screen. I like having the option of opening an app in a window I can resize, fill the screen, put in background, bring back and so forth. It is also useful if you would like to connect your phone to a bigger screen so you can use it more like a pc.

BTW, you once mentioned you had a GN2 to play with. How did the Multiview compare with that on the GN1. Is it as responsive on the GN1?

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
MultiView is great! They are essentially reinventing tiling window managers, which I fully support!

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy